It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sound Off: Do we need a new Star Trek?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Sup ATSers,

As we all know J.J. Abrams is helming the upcoming Star Trek movie. It is just going by the title "Star Trek" and hits theaters Christmas '08.

The world has been without Star Trek for way too long.
I've never considered myself much of a Treker but I've seen every episode of TNG. However, things somehow feel peaceful with Star Trek on the air. Maybe because the concept of the show involves world peace.

What do you think? Does Star Trek reflect or even influence the perception of peace?

P.S. Zach Quinto is going to rock as Mr. Spock

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
As to the question in the title of this thread:

No.

No. no. no.nononononono

I love ST. It's one of my earliest memories.

But it's gone on long enough. It's got sequelidosis now. Let it be, Paramount. Just let it ride off into the sunset.

Unless they can do something completely fresh and new with it, it really has just become reheated leftovers in a casserole designed to disguise the fact it's already been dined on five or six times.

It was great while it lasted, but in this case, more is not better.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
MM, if you were talking about Star Wars I'd agree. But we can never get enough of Star Trek. Well, it does need revamping, I agree. I'd like to see the galaxy through ST eyes about 500 years into the future. Ultra-futuristic, you know? A thinking man's ST. And I'm tired of aliens who look like they just came from a Halloween party. The lazy bastards need to get more creative instead of rehashing the same old costumes. Maybe replace ST with a new Galaxy Trek or something. I did think going backwards (Enterprise) was a mistake from the get-go, and sure enough--cancelled.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I’m sorry I love star trek but enough is enough.
There is nowhere else to go and nothing else to say in the Star Trek universe.
TOS was classic, TNG is the penultimate, DS9 carried us through to bridge to Voyager and Enterprise killed it.
We all enjoyed its life, cried at its death and shook our heads as the paramedics attempted CPR on the Star Trek world with the pointless last two movies (Nemisis what was that all about?). It is just time to walk away and fire a 21 phazer salute.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well in terms of the TV series things went down hill after TNG ended. As a keen Star Trek fan I am willing to give J.J. Abrams a chance to revive the Star Trek universe.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It's needed like a chocolate teapot... (easy now MM.)

or dare I say a fish with a bicycle!

Star Trek was great, but please let's move on...

Then again they could give it the Battlestar Gallactica treatment and just call it.

TREK!

Captain....Kirk....should....just....rest....in....peace....!

apc

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I didn't like it at first but Enterprise grew on me in season 3. Then I went back and watched the first 2 seasons and enjoyed them. Unfortunately season 3 is also where every other Star Trek, like most other TV series, really took off. But the call had already been made, and season 4 was to be the last. Bastards. I had heard rumors at the time that it was being considered to move production to Canada and shoot a few DVDs. Didn't happen.

I don't think there's anything left to do with Star Trek. Voyager went about as far into the future as you can go with the Star Trek theme and keep it somewhat plausible.

If anything I would like to see a movie or short series of just before First Contact. It's less than 60 years away, and according to Star Trek history was filled with war, drugs, and generally pretty awesome times.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Matt Damon as Kirk? I just don't see it, but then again, I gotta see it.

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I'm still having issues with the whole Matt Damon thing...(shudder).

Just have to wait and see, I guess. The idea is good, but the story needs some revamping, furthur into the future, when the tech might resemble magic, rather than just stuff we're going to see next year released my sony or whomever. Furthur into the future they go, the better.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Matt Damon???

I'd say Roddenberry is rolling over in his grave...but I'd imagine it'd be more like his particles are heading into deep space on hearing this one...

After the original series, and movies, I would have said enough...but I was proven completely wrong with TNG... They brought it back, and with style. Never cared for the other spin-off franchises though.... I tried, just never got into them.

I guess we'll see (I never would have pegged Tom Cruise for Lestat, but hey, another surprise, so who knows....)

Sylar as Spock? That has at least some promise....

Whew! *sigh of relief*

Chris Pine as James T. Kirk (Darwin from Smokin' Aces)
Zachary Quinto as Spock (Sylar from Lost)
Karl Urban as Leonard McCoy (Eomer from Lord of the Rings)
Simon Pegg as Montgomery Scott (Shaun of the Dead)
Anton Yelchin as Pavel Chekov
Zoë Saldaña as Uhura (Pirates of the Carribean, she was the one Jack stole a ship from, not the Black Pearl, first movie)
John Cho as Hikaru Sulu (Harold and Kumar fame)
Eric Bana as Nero, the villain of the film (Incredible Hulk)
Leonard Nimoy as the older Spock

[edit on 26-10-2007 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Oh man, I'm a little disappointed now.
Part of me wanted to see how Matt Damon portrayed Kirk.

Thanks for the update Gaz.

Peace

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Does the world need more Star Trek? Yes! Of course it does! But it does not need a remake of a Star Trek that is already a classic and will inevitably end up being butchered. They need another series.

When I was a kid I was such a die hard Star Trek fan and when they came out with Next Generation I refused to watch it. Some family members convinced me to give it a try and I ended up loving it. Same with DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. But to redo something that's already been done.....I don't know....

[edit on 11/1/2007 by closettrekkie]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I think the director has failed to analyze what made the original Star Trek and the cast so good.

Not only was it a great ensemble, each of the members of the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio were larger than life. They hit it big by going back to the Horatio Hornblower model for Kirk, full of himself and even thriving on his over-acting.

When Spock hit the scene, they scored the home run - millions of geeky kids and young adults were looking for a sexy, smart character with which they could identify.

We tuned in everyweek, overlooked the cheesy sets and stories because we wanted to spend time with those three, and it wasn't about how good the stories were, though many were great.

I don't see that same chemistry. They seem to be trying to cast actors that look like the originals in some roles, but not so much in others. (Cho is nothing like Sulu, besides being Asian.)

Here's a thought...

I'd rather see them do a full CGI, and just resurrect the young versions of Shatner, Kelley and Nimoy, and get digitize their voices (where necessary; Kelley and Doohan) or get the original actors and do it that way. CGI has progressed to the point where you can't tell real from CGI (see Catwoman).

You see what we really want is to go back to the Original Star Trek and see Shatner, Deforest Kelley and Nimoy but with new stories and maybe updated sets and SFX (though they could do retro and keep the same types of sets). It doesn't matter - we want the original, not some substitute.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Should make a new Star Trek series based in the 25th century with new plots and races, as well as enemies. As much as we love to see stories where the explorers solve sci-fi mysteries, I like to see some battles with it. Kind of like the Dominion War during DS9 setting. Also they should include a new advanced ship, capable of traveling across the galaxy within months instead of decades. Perhaps Voyager's return would make that possible if producers were to start a new series.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Hunt for 'odd' Star Trek extras begins their looking for people to be extras in the starfleet. Check out the link below maybe you could have a chance of being in it who knows. but some of the things they are looking for made me laugh like people with bug eyes, small heads, lol

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
i grew up watching TNG. i feel old now because i just bought a novel that has a TNG20 logo on the back...20 years since TNG first aired?! good god.

anyway, i think if you get a director and writers that have actually seen the friggin shows then it would be a start. the director that did Nemesis had never watched star trek and kept calling Geordi an "alien". the dude was friggin blind! a heap of bad decisions and management destroyed the star trek i knew. tng is classic to me. i never really got into ds9, but they weren't BAD. voyager was OK because there was nothing else - actually had a few good eps. i really tried to give enterprise a shot but it felt like work to subject myself to it. it didn't keep me interested and the only reason i watched the whole 1st season is because i was a trek fan. we're SUPPOSED to like star trek. there are shows where you can say "man, they couldn't have found a better actor to fit such-and-such's role." there area a few of those on TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I didn't have that feeling with Enterprise. I felt like none of them really fit except Phlox...and maybe Trip.

at first i thought this new movie was a really BAD idea. it sounds like JJ at least has the right attitude about it. if he does it right it could be a good movie. if it's anything less than stellar then we probably won't ever see another official trek product. in that case i would rather they had left it alone for a few years and rexposed it to a new generation. the current one is burned out.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Ya, we need more Star Trek about as much as we need one more episode of "Cavemen!"

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I'd like to see a ST movie about every 5 years...

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Oh Dear God no we don't need another incarnation of Trek, not right now anyway. Enterprise was a bad idea from the get go. Voyager had its issues but really did get better as it went on. DS9 was a great show and a fresh idea, but doesn't get the respect it deserves by anymeans. The point I am trying to make is until the Producers of Trek can figure out what makes the truly great series and movies great (character development and a good plot) they should just let it rest.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I've been watching Trek since it first came out. There's good in all the series except Enterprise. What a turd that was and it's what's putting people off imo. A new series? Hell yeah. Call it Empire and have it from the Klingon perspective, complete with guest stars of the past. Everyone likes Klingons, as long as they're on TV.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join