It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American kids, dumber than dirt

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

American kids, dumber than dirt

www.sfgate.com

Warning: The next generation might just be the biggest pile of idiots in U.S. history.

We are, as far as urban public education is concerned, essentially at rock bottom. We are now at a point where we are essentially churning out ignorant teens who are becoming ignorant adults and society as a whole will pay dearly, very soon, and if you think the hordes of easily terrified, mindless fundamentalist evangelical Christian lemmings have been bad for the soul of this country, just wait.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.imdb.com
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I cant say that I agree wholeheartedly with this man, but I can see where he is coming from. With all of the pampering and hand-holding that goes on today, I believe that this man could be on to something.

Since the population is too scared of hurting a childs feelings, or making some "lopsided" statements on sexuality, etc, the youth of today are growing up with little to no exposure to real sane arguements that they will be presented with in the real world. If this continues, we may just be perpetuating the movie Idiocracy

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I agree with the idea of his article as well.
A little harsh...you know, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

My gut tells me that he wrote the story in this manner to add an ironic twist.
an in your face article, written to the parents and educators of the "wussified".

It's not the kids fault. they have the same potential as any other generation.
I just wish our school systems were more interested in teaching..actually TEACHING, the basics of education. Rather than the narrow method of instructing on how to pass standardized tests. And that other nasty thing they do..parenting..which should be left to the parents.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Actually it is TV, next generation of gaming, and weed that is making them do that. It gets them lazier then a koala, and fatter then elephants. I say put a cap on games, and introduce more fitness at school. The unhealthy diets are not helping a single bit, and the parents essentially have no time for their kids anymore. They are too busy with work and such to even understand what is going to happen.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Because video games, tv and weed were never ever in any other generation (SARCASM)

Seriously, I would blame fast food for being fat and lazy over any of those things.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Some politicians will argue that throwing money at the problem will help to solve it. Could that be part of the problem? That our educational system is not well funded?

Others argue that competition amongst participants of a privatized system might be an answer as well.

What direction should we take?

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pshkwamy

My God your right! Maybe getting stoned in front of a McDonald's is not such a great idea?
It does not help that weed is much stronger then in the 70's and 80's as well.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

well im not saying its not a problem, but its not the main problem IMO.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pshkwamy

Your absolutely right, it is not the main problem but little problems add up. Weed, new age games, computers, less fitness in schools, junk food, fast food, parent neglecting their kids, and TV. I think those would be the major contributers to the laziness of kids.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

It does not help that weed is much stronger then in the 70's and 80's as well.

LMAO! It most certainly is not! Please, do not believe anything the ONDCP has to say about marijuana, it's the biggest propaganda tool the government has.

Cannabis is the same as it's always been. Some strains are stronger than others, some have different combinations of the active ingredients that make it seem to have different effects on different people.

The samples that the DEA/govgoons used to "prove" cannabis is stronger now were never properly stored, and were very old. THC breaks down over time, with exposure to light and air.

Cannabis isn't stronger, the government just doesn't know what tupperware is for.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Actually I have done my research before I came on here. I know older people who have been using it since the 60's. They have admitted to it being stronger now then before. With time people develop better ways to grow weed, better chemicals to spray it with, and better fertilizer to grow it in.

Mexican was all we could get back then. It smelled, like dank dirt. The high from the Mexican sativa almost always sent you soaring, once you smoked enough of it. Usually about 3 grams, 2 huge joints. Growers would hack down entire plants, male and females alike, stuff them wet, or at best half dry, into an old adobe brick press and crank out bricks. Kilos with pressed lizards inside them were common. The product would be smuggled across the Rio Grande River or over the desert to sell to the Gringos up north. You could buy a pound near the border for less than $100 US.
Source

The person who wrote this was around to confirm it, so do you still disagree?

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Now, now. Lets not duke it out over the potency of old v new herbs.

While I dont think it is just pot that has the youth of today bogged down, I do think that about every rational explanation for the cause of the ills has been mentioned in the previous posts.

Originally posted by spacedoubt

It's not the kids fault. they have the same potential as any other generation.

...Rather than the narrow method of instructing on how to pass standardized tests.

I agree. The kids do have potential, but I think there is little encouragement from the parents are they have indeed "wussified" their kids

And that other nasty thing they do..parenting..which should be left to the parents.

Sometimes thats easier said than done. That can be a tough one for the kids today to take orders.

Originally posted by Equinox99
Actually it is TV, next generation of gaming, and weed that is making them do that. I say put a cap on games, and introduce more fitness at school. The unhealthy diets are not helping a single bit, and the parents essentially have no time for their kids anymore. They are too busy with work and such to even understand what is going to happen.

You can go and blame the chronic like that. Kids have been doing that since they were productive
The fast food, TV, video games and sedentary lifestyle is a huge contributor to the apathy sown by kids today. If the schools could find a way to get exercise into the classroom, maybe with Wii sports, then we would be taking a bigstep towards fighting childhood obesity.

Its just too bad that the administration doesnt care about giving more funding to schools for stuff like this.

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Some politicians will argue that throwing money at the problem will help to solve it. Could that be part of the problem? That our educational system is not well funded?

Am I detecting a little bit of sarcasm? Its too bad that the government doesnt care about giving more funding to schools for new programs like this. It all comes down to politics which are crushing the greatness of this country. If theyre not going to help sick children then theyre certainly not going to help with their education.

Boy oh boy are the children getting left behind on this one.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This is so much horse crap

Just because american kids are rejecting the lies taught by the schools and dictated by the federal govenment we call them dum.

I say that the kids are getting smarter and leaving the lies behind and even though they reject what is taught at school they realize just how evil the united states federal govenment is and want nothing to do with it.

THAT IS SMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I will put it this way I know a thirteen year old and 17 year old who question 9/11 and don't believe the official story.

The thirteen year old told me he just does not try in scool because the can't even guestion the teacher he is expected to sit there and listen.

He was suspended for asking a question about something he was being taught and told the teacher it was stupid that everyone knew it was not true and then he recieved three days off.

How can you learn if you are not allowed to think.

the seventeen year old gets straight b's and she thing that 90% of what she is taught is out right lies and attemped brainwashing and conciders america evil - she also realizes she is not free.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by bob180197
This is so much horse crap

Just because american kids are rejecting the lies taught by the schools and dictated by the federal govenment we call them dum.

I say that the kids are getting smarter and leaving the lies behind and even though they reject what is taught at school they realize just how evil the united states federal govenment is and want nothing to do with it.

THAT IS SMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elaborate. What "lies" do you mean?

I'm smart at least when it comes to science/history/geography because I stay on the internet all day and actually enjoy about learning about other countries and such.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bob180197

Rejecting the lies that they are being taught in school is basically rejecting education and intelligence. How are the kids getting smarter if they are rejecting what they are being taught? The only thing that will get them is poor spelling and grammar (see spelling of dumb).

Sure the "lies" perpetuated in schoolbooks will tell them how things really are, but to see everything as evil is just the result of keeping your tin foil hat on for too long while reading David Icke books.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I will point out how dumb the collage educated are in this country I worked for a company where we built diesel gensets and it was a fact that second shift produced 70% of the work with 1/3 of the employees and where blamed for all the mistakes.

One evening a fellow worker called me over to a job and said there was a problem and asked me to look at it they where putting in a steel wall and it would not fit the big boss came over and asked what was wrong and he was pissed when he found out he started looking and seeing what went wrong and where to place the blame.

I went outside the job and started looking at all the blue prints and he was measuring everything and he could not figure it out -after several minutes I call him out and said it's not our fault and him being angry he said what do you mean the walls three inches to big. I said read the blue prints and he said I did and the wall is to big and then I told him to add the numbers up.

Yes the wall was to big but it was built to the plan but the plan was off (this was a $5000 mistake) some dam engineer could not add decimals. everybody went to work but I quietly took the blue print to my locker (the floor copy and the next night the president of the company was in and I walked in the office and there were new blue print there.

The president was talking to my boss saying that It was a bad mistake and he was tired of them and that if think did not change he would start firing people. I walked up to my locked and brought the blue prints down and in big numbers had the correct addition on it. I walked up to the president of the company and asked him if he was prepared to firer the design department (collage educated freaks) he was make and I showed him the prints and explained to him the problem.

The design team would take the bad prints and destroy them and print out good prints and blame the builders.

With in a week each shift had there own prints and the production office had locking cabinets for each shifts prints.

Another time the company hired a engineer (Ted) to come in and make the plant more productive and this guy walked around the plant for four months and one night my boss called me over and said have you heard the news ted wants to put over head cranes in the center of the plant to cross the three work lanes> I laughed and My boss asked why I was laughing and I said that you could not do it with out replacing all of the electric over head cranes with gas powered ones and he asked me why and I asked him how are you going to cross the electric lines the first time you would use the cranes they would rip the power lines down. My boss looked at the overhead lines and after several minutes said lets get back to work.

The next night all the company Bosses where in the plant and talking in the center of the plant (laughing and happy) and my boss was with them and as soon as I came in he called me over (everyone knew me because my work was respected) and he told me the big news and asked me what I thought about it and I stated the same thing I had stated the night before and everyone of them stared looking at the power lines.

I later learned that the company paid close to $80,000 for the six months this engineer was with the company and still no cranes where he wanted to put one.

During this time I had two 18 year old that where on my crew and I had a lot of respect for them they where hard workers learned quickly and put in a days work. Sure they partied on the weekends and were young but they worked and did not look for excuses to waste time. I'm not saying that every 18 year old is this way but a lot are.

Having money I do not respect because today that usually means that the person most likely does not have personal ethics and does not care who they screw over to get it, in America I do not believe that today you can run a ethical business with out losing your money or it is almost impossible.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The problem is not with the Kids the problem is with the educational system and it is so bad and needs to be disbanded and we need to start over because the people that run it will never admit there the problem.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bob180197

I dont know if we need to start all over with education. We just need to lead by example. We used to produce tons of the world best and brightest, but over the last decade or two, it is said that that number is in decline.

What we need to do is put more money and energy into making our education system the best. Unfortunately, as things stand currently, that will never happen. As long as we continue to put our lust for oil over our nations need for education, we will continue our decline.
Its really sad but true

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I don't think the kids are the problem really. The childrens bad habits certainly. My three nephews are a good example of this smart as hell, but if they get to play on the video games for to long they tend to get lazy. So basically now they are allowed an hour of it before bed. Other than that you will find them outside playing all kinds of sports and climbing trees, things little boys should be doing. They don't have a huge fast food diet either and compared to their classmates they are little guys. It is long past time that the parents of this country woke up and blamed themselves for the disrespectful unmotivated brats they created. You know I can remember a time when children actually treated every Adult they met with respect whether they liked them or not, these are things that are taught at home, but given that so many parents are caught up in the lets spend more money than we are making game it isn't getting taught.

[edit on 10/26/2007 by Jovi1]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join