It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mothman Prophecies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone on the board had read "The Mothman Prophecies" by John. A. Keel. If so what we're you veiws on the book?
If what the book claims is true is true, it raises some very interesting ideas, I remember posting a while back and one person replyed to having had a case of the "phantom photographers". In my opinion the book is incredibly well put together.
For all those that havn't read it - buy it - it does not deal with the mothman persay but instances of UFOlogical strange experiance.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
What's written in his book probably did happen but i think he misinterpreted the events. Some believe what he investigated was the work of reptilians. I don't know you have to look at the evidence and decide for yourself

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think the mothman being itself as portrayed could have been part of a government operation that they could obviously not contain in the process. How much truth is there to the details of the movie?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
No, but ive seen the movie! Any resemblance?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Im originally from WVa, and the Mothman events are real, but the movie is out of context. It happened in Point Pleasant WV, and I have a friend from there whose grandfather would always tell the story. But basically, this Mothman type creature appeared near the Bridge, and the bridge collapsed, and has continued to appear near the area over the years. I was always under the assumption that he appeared before catastrohpic events. The movie is out of context, making this creature more human that it deserves... no real life phone calls or english voices. It did have red glowing eyes and a weird noise though, from first hand events.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Actually, the movie is almost 100% fiction. The book was merely the basis for the idea. Keel's book reads more as a field notes from an expoerienced researcher. There was many strnage events happening in Pt. Pleasant as well as everywhere else around the time of the Mothman sightings and they are detailed in the book. I highly recommend it. Basically, Keel ties the Mothman and the UFO sightings which were happening at the time to ultra terrestrials rather than extra-terrestrials. Beings of earth but on a different deminsional plane than us. Its a interesting hypothesis but one which makes you think.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Excellant book and yes i have to agree the movie was blown up a bit, but thats hollywood right? Anyways from what i understand its not just point pleasant thats had these mothman like creatures, its all over the world. They seem to be related to disasterous events and im not sure why but perhaps the mothman was a warning beacon. I've read the book and its good the movie made for good viewing material but thats about it

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The book ruled. Keel's theories about what astrocreep called "ultra terrestrials" are unique and very compelling. Given that basic physics makes intersteller space travel seem improbable (at least on terms that we normally ascribe to alien visitors), Keel's theories continue to be a breath of fresh air.

As for the movie, I think they did a good job of turning a first-person field notebook into a workable plot. John Keel's real self is split into the main character (named John, of course) and a crabby old professor (whose last name is Leek, which is Keel spelled backward). I thought that was a great way to represent Keel as a field researcher and at the same time frame his post-research theories. As a side note, Keel himself has said that he liked the movie.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
the mothmans real and has been seen by lots of people all around the south california side. in the mountains. with red eyes. and the first thing theyll mention is that he flys and is over seven ft tall. i myself have experienced many wierd happenings in the past and have no doubts in any of their stories. there has also been reportings of the mothman being seen after ufo incidents have been reported. if someone were to google it up im POSITIVE theyd find interesting facts on the net.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
i never read the book, but have always been very interested in this because of how many people claim to have seen it. i dont think this topic gets as much attention as it deserves, but then again only so much can be said about something that is unkown. do some research. this is a crappy site but it does give general info. go search.www.prairieghosts.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Ive read the book and like it much more so than the movie. The book was very heavy on the M.I.B and U.F.O topic but the movie never touched on anything like that at all.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i think the mothman can possibly be seen anywhere on our planet. i mean. it pretty much relates to a more biblical type of story. according to certain researches. if it were an alien then wed probably see more. i think its some kind of an omen to whats gonna happen. its always been a beacon of a tragedy when its sighted.

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I read the book after watching the movie and found it much more creepy than the movie in terms of the MIB accounts and the strange "work crews" on the bridge leading up to the collapse.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I saw this movie last night, mostle because I saw Mothman threads on ats.
One thing no one seems to have touched on is the enery/force thing that is mentioned in this movie. I believe Dr. Leek mentioned it when trying to explains the creataure to John.
If we can believe that there are energy forces, besides electricity and microwaves, and that some of these energies could also possess intelligence, why not something that might occasionally become visible to us that might warn us of disasters??
I can't wait to read the book.

new topics

top topics

join