It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short story 75283

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Short story 75283

When, i was younger i was in class learning about the Roman invasion and urbanization of Britain, our teacher was telling us about standard bearer's and what they where. He, told us they where tall poles topped with various insignia and symbols, and were not just for show; they served important practical functions as well,during battle they were held by officers so soldiers could see them above the action they helped to keep the units together.They where he told us a, symbol of the power of Rome and the honor of the legion. To lose the legionary eagle standard in battle was a terrible disgrace, and they must be protected at all costs.The morning of the invasion he continued, the Roman legions crossed the chanel from France in there galleons,and re-grouped just off the coast of iron age Britian,while re-grouping the natives where gathering on the beachers armed and getting ready for battle,and compared to the civilized Roman they looked almost savage,he said that almost all of the legionnaire's where scared half to death by what they saw on the beaches.He went on to tell us that the the Generals and military planners of the Roman army where poised to give the order to retreat, and abandon the invasion as they where vastly out numberd and these savages looked liked they ment business,But just as they where about to give the order a young standard bearer,holding the legionary eagle standard jumped off one of the galleons into the shallow water and started makeing his way up the beach to the enemy, upon seeing this his legion had no choice but to follow him and protect him and the standard. "the rest is History" he said. then the bell rang.

Today i was out on my skateboard practiseing some tricks at the local skate spot, there where some other skaters there doing 50/50 on a a stair rail.I hadnt' tried that trick i didnt' have the balls to id, seen to many others try and fail misrabley.... If you fail it usely results in a face plant into concrete from hight and the emergency room ,and a lot of people laughing there arse's off at you. But today was different today was my day i was gonna' "go for it" i was gonna' "just do it" i was gonna' "nail that rail" ...."get ready to sing fat lady im about' to lick this trick"..........man was i pumped i was gonna' do this TODAY no matter what. All last night i had been going over and over it in my mind,right up untill i fell into a coma...my mum says i sleep like im in a coma, i hate getting up early dont you?......... over and over i kept pictureing it ,what i was going to do and how i was going to do it...... Ollie,land it,stay on,..........Ollie,land it,stay on,............Ollie,land it,stay on.............Ollie,land it .......zzzZZZZ.............

So there i was getting ready to"just do it" to "go for it" to "do or die" my,heart was beating like it was in a cartoon,the adrenaline was raceing threw my vians i, couldnt' control it or stop it and, i didnt know if i was afraid of it or not but, i felt it, man did i feel it, All the way to the skate spot i kept telling myself just do it, if you dont try ull never know, JUST DO IT............ i was gonna' nail this trick i and i was gonna' do it today.

As i staterd my approach to the stairs and the rail my mind was buzzing as much as my heart was pounding...."this adrenaline is getting a bit much i feel sick i think im gonna' throw up" i thought to myself....."dont think about it JUST DO IT" a voice said convincing me......I put my left foot to the concrete and set off i skate goofy they say......."Ok screw it here i go it if i fail i fail" i said to no one but myself .....i was getting up pace now and positioning my feet to where they felt comfetable on the board........"Screw that you aint' gonna' fail JUST DO IT" i liked this voice better.... "ok,ok i CAN do this" i was convinceing myself ........,getting closer to the stairs now and the the big drop face first into concreate if i mess up ........ "all i have to do is Ollie,land it,and stay on" i said again to my self........... almost there now geting ready,my feet are where i want them to be,im poised and ready ............. then at the point of no return,with a belly full of butterflys,and my stomach in my throat I, ....Ollie'd....................."Then a young standerd bearer jumped off one of the galleons"......"WTF where where did that come from" i asked my self......with no time to think i landed on the rail..... ............."YESSS!!!"...............

did i stay on? you can decide it could have an affect.......i know that.......that young standard bearer had an effect on my life,id like to thank him if i could.

The Butterflly Effect
by
N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
That's a cool story, well done. Made me laugh too when I remembered my son and his pal, a few years ago, trying to "ollie" in my back garden. (I have this on video and plan to youtube the lot sometime soon). They kept on repeating "watch this ollie" then the skateboard would behave as if it was kicked and they'd land half on it and half off it. They were that crap I still don't know what an ollie is. ?????Somehow I don't think an image of a young standard bearer jumping off a galleon would have helped them at all.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm very familiar with that feeling from my days of skateboarding back in the early 90's.

Thanks for bringing back some cool memories.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I just had a look at an "ollie" on youtube. It's nothing like what I watched my son try to do all those years ago. Seems to me he was jumping on his skateboard to try and break it 'cos that's exacly what it looked l like. I bet he's real embarrased now. lol. p.s. Keep up the story writing.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Im glad you liked it, it was the first one ive wrote,. Maybe ill try and write some more.

cheers

top topics

join