It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1999 Total Destuction Of Earth (almost)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

I presume it is because they have such little grasp on the way the physical world works. I've often seen religion as the poor mans science. You're quite right it is most disturbing. "Science guy" indeed...

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I'd just like to clear something else up whilst I'm here. That orbit diagram of 17P/Holmes posted by Hal9000 is extremely misleading. The perihelion distance of this comet (closest approach to the Sun) has NEVER been less than 2AU's (twice the distance from Earth to Sun) since it was discovered in 1892.

So how come it looks like the comet crossed Earth's orbit on 2000 January 1 ?

It's very simple, and I've mentioned this a thousand times before.....

You are looking at a 2D "snapshot" image of a representation of 3D space. If you change the orientation of that image (in other words, if you look at the orbits of Earth and the comet from a different angle), you will see that the comet is nowhere near Earth's orbit, never mind the planet itself.

[edit on 26-10-2007 by Mogget]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Here is what you ALL seem to be missing.

The Orbit Shown is the Orbit of the Comet BEFORE the Explosion!!!

The Explosion most likely altered its course.

THIS IS IT FOLKS!!!

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
My long thurouly explained post didn't go thru, DAMM.

Heres a simple versiion.

1 AU = 150 Million KM.

The Object was over 1.5 AU away, which means it was 220 KM away.

Mars at that time was at 1.4 AU distance, at the same time the comet was at 1 AU, and was on a line between the Sun and Mars, which means the object was more then 4 times closer to mars then earth.

To hit earth or get real close, and object would need to be at about 0.00000001 AU from earth. and it would still be farther then the moon.

Adhere to the web site motto.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Why is this rather simple piece of geometry still causing so many problems despite several good explanations?

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
I think what he is trying to say that it passed through earths exact orbit. If it had come 99 days later it would have impacted the earth at that point which is at 1 AU.

I think that is his point. However if you consider that I drive the same route to work every day, about 15 miles round trip. But 9 hours ago a semi loaded with steel happened to cross the the same road I travel.

If I had collided with it. it might have caused my extinction. But seriously, am I going to lose sleep over the fact that if I had been in that same spot 9 hours ago, I might be dead? .....of course not. This is just another alarmist and fear monger making a huge deal out of nothing.

[edit on 26-10-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think it's been said, but as people seem into repetition, I'll chime in with a repeat.

1AU is the distance that the Earth is from the Sun.

1AU is where the comet was. The same distance from the Sun. Not us. The Sun.

It was the same distance out from the Sun that our planet orbits.

Get it?

93,000,000 miles from the Sun. Not us.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scienceguy

just 99 days late-- this Comet-- Comet 17P/Holmes railroaded in right in onto our orbital ring-path (after taking probably thousands of years to come in) and would have ended all life on this planet...

Ummmm, if that were the case we wouldn't be here now. Comets and other big space junk has hit the earth before. They did massive, unimaginable damage and kill off's of 75% of the species on Earth. But life and the Earth are still here. Slightly exaggerating things aren't we.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
Get it?

93,000,000 miles from the Sun. Not us.

Yes. And 140,000,000 miles from Earth.

This was probably the greatest astronomical non-event in history. I can't believe it's even being discussed, and here I am adding to the thread.. somebody smack me.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Comet Holmes missed us by 99 days in 1999 ... if we were 99 days late in our rotation around the sun, or if the comet was 99 days early then life "as we know it" would be over.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The scenario I am truly considering is that this comet could have been dead on and somewhere along the line something played in as an additional side factor and possibly slowed it 'just enough' to have it arrive 99 days late out of 33,000 years since it was last here.

Um, This comet has an orbital period of seven years. Where are you getting this information from? Perhaps you could provide a source?

reply to post by Mogget

Not according to the orbital diagram as I show below. It does show it crossing the Earth's orbit @ 1AU. I have zoomed in and moved it around to every angle that it allows and it does show it crossing. How do you know it was no closer than 2AU? Maybe you could provide a better source as well.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Scienceguy,

Seems you are in the wrong place. Woosh

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hi,

The operative perspective on this thread is to be ideally cognized by recognizing that we on 'Spaceship' Earth are sitting ducks-- as in a galactic shooting gallery-- quite like taking a mid-day stroll in the Gaza strip carrying a Salmon Rushdie banner.

The operative perspective is that we go round and round on our tiny little 'broken record-like' orbital ring-- which we cannot escape or deviate from-- even if we wanted to--

--and it is comparatively miniscule as a closed circuit-- a very small territory and space out of the entire region of galactic space...

The Point?

This small little ring and space has now been compromised.

It has been demonstrated to actually be directly a part of the cosmic shooting gallery...

We go round and round in a little programmed circle with very little comparative variation. We have absolutely no ability to do anything to steer ourselves out of harms way, speed up, slow, dodge or move out of the way for any such object coming in to invade our space...

Such things coming in do indeed have a potential to completely dictate our future, and as such I would rather not be suddenly surprised but would like to know such things ahead of the fact as a sentient being rather than an ignorant monkey.

This is an astoundingly pivotal realization that also has far more to do with spirituality than any religious connotations and introduces to the mind of man what the jungle of space is really like.

If we are wanting at all to try to really understand the whole picture about anything that governs our life and existence, we do well to size up such matters that put all our other seemingly petty everyday life concerns in their proper pecking order and priority.

This matter is so big that it appears to be lost on many of us here...

video.google.com...

Some see the larger picture...

That we actually could be here today and gone tomorrow...

...and that it is actually not a bad idea to make your peace and live everyday to the fullest as though there may not be another afforded you-- and maturely be ready to just wake up somewhere else in some other dimension at any time...

~

[edit on 26-10-2007 by Scienceguy]

[edit on 10/27/2007 by Djarums]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
OK, hold on now. I was looking at this astroart orbit and it shows comet 17P with a much longer orbit than seven years. This can't be right.

Here is another orbital image from Wikipedia that show a different orbit with a period of seven years.

from Wikipedia Comet 17P/Holmes

It does not show it crossing Earth's orbit. In fact it doesn't even get closer than Mars.

The orbital diagram in the OP is BOGUS!!!

My apologies to Mogget, you are probably right that it was never even within 2AU of the Sun.

[edit on 10/26/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Orbital mechanics is a pet subject of mine. I can simulate the orbits of every comet that has ever been seen on my PC using a wonderful piece of software called Dance of the Planets (ARC Science Simulations; www.arcscience.com ).

However, just so that you can see the orbital elements of every apparition of this comet since 1892, here is a good source....

www9.ocn.ne.jp...

You can see the official designation of the comet (17P) to the left. This is followed by the name (Holmes), and then a series of numbers. The first of these is the perihelion date (the day that the comet made its closest approach to the Sun). The second column shows the perihelion distance (in astronomical units). Since 1AU is the average distance of Earth from the Sun, you can see that this comet has not approached anywhere near our planet since it was discovered.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hi,

Let us see the orbital diagram from your computer to balance the other two and we can get more of an understanding of this point.

If Astroarts is right or wrong, we should factor that in.

Bogus is not the operative term, until we see other orbital charts to compare.

I don't care which was embraced as fact earlier--

-- I will clearly side with which one is correct. Period.

In such an event-- I have no problem issuing corrections, and even apologies for taking an incorrect position as a result of an incorrect chart even-- Period. : )

~

[edit on 26-10-2007 by Scienceguy]

[edit on 10/27/2007 by Djarums]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Scienceguy

You only have to click on the links that were provided to see them.

Here is NASA's orbital data. NASA

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Bogus is not the operative term, until we see other orbital charts to compare.

Well the operative term I wanted to use would have been against the T&C, so I settled on Bogus. Maybe I could have used the British operative term bullocks.

Just kidding. It could be the object in the astrart diagram is something else, but it is certainly not Comet 17P/Holmes.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If you go to that AstroArt site now, and enter "17P", it will give you the correct orbital data for this comet. If you then take a look at the orbit diagram, you will see the REAL orbit of this comet.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mogget

It still comes up with the same orbit for me, but maybe if I delete temporary interfiles or something that would force it to reload. I don't have time right now and need to get some work done.

Is there anyway to use your program to find out what object it might be that would have been 1AU from the Sun on Jan. 1, 2000? Maybe it will come up planet Niburu.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join