It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: Windows Virus - "Storm" Email

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I was reading this article and it seems like a pretty nasty virus. Someone else can take over your computer and go on an illegal spree. Excerpt:

Storm is different. It spreads quietly, without drawing attention to itself. Symptoms don't appear immediately, and an infected computer can lie dormant for a long time.

If your PC is compromised in this way then, while you may own the machine, someone else controls it. And they can use it to send spam, to participate in distributed denial-of-service attacks on banks, e-commerce or government websites, or for other even more sinister purposes.

Articles goes on to mention 100 million computers have been infected already.

[edit on 25-10-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Thank you for the warning! This one sounds kinda nasy! Anything that is said to be like "syphilis" is just plain wrong. Brain eating is NOT OK!

[edit on 25-10-2007 by tetsujin420]

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Few months old, but most AV software should handle it fine.

More info at Snopes.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ever hear of Linux based immunity?

It's nice to have a system that works and doesn't fall down dead every other time I turn the thing on.

Penguin Power to the People!

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thanks I will run a check today as I have been getting alot of disgusting, sick and perverted spam in my email recently and no matter how many times I report it it still continues to come back. We do not go to those types of sites and avoid all known suspicious sites. This sounds very scary. I often wonder if these people that get caught with smut on their comps are always guilty. How would you prove it if you were accused?

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that certain law enforcement used such things to set people up. Once an investigation was started on someone, it might not be too hard to bump it up a notch with something like this. It would have a lot of value in the minds of a jury, no matter what the other charges were.

Hmmmmm???????

top topics

join