It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the First Time, Women Rule in Space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   

www.breitbart.com

Breaking new ground in the history of space exploration, women are at the helm of the International Space Station and the space shuttle at the same time, as they orbit the Earth.

Pamela Melroy, a 46-year-old retired US Air Force colonel, was in the commander's seat when shuttle Discovery blasted off from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida, on Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-10-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This article goes on to state that women make up only 20 percent of the astronaut corps, and there is only one woman that is qualified to be a shuttle commander. To become a shuttle pilot or commander, a candidate has to log at least 1000 hours in military aircraft.

In this day and age, I find it very saddening to think that women still have so far to go to really be equal in the sciences and in the space program.

But what drives this imbalance? I'm not too savvy on things military. Is it that fewer women meet the requirements to become military pilots? Is it that fewer women are attracted to the job enough to apply for it? Is there outside discrimination here, or is it just that female military personnel are not as interested in flight as their male counterparts?

One of my earliest memories is watching the moon landing. Even at the age of four, I was thrilled to the quick thinking that some day I might be able to travel in space and go to the moon or other planets. I grew up on a diet of science-fiction TV and novels. Even at that age, I could dimly sense the possibilities and the wonder of aeronautics.

Why are there not more women in the space program, and in military flight programs in general?

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
for the same reason you dont see womem playing top level football or soccer.
for the same reason very few women drive race cars.

and for the same reason you dont see many MEN doing macrame, pottery, or having tea parties - unless they are the type that wear teal or fuschia colours

its not that women arent good enough, its that they arent interested enough.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Okay, this convinced me that this is truely a sign of the end times.

Next they will paint the shuttles pink and demand access to all the tv soap operas while in space. Then there are the designer space suits with matching purses.

Why can't we leave things as they are? After all men don't stop by alien spacecraft to ask for directions.

edit:the above is meant to be taken in humor with no intent to upset anyone.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Oh no no no you di'int.

If I were a shuttle commander, there would be no pink. This thread is proof of my great disdain for pink machinery.

But we probably WOULD make all the boy astronauts put the toilet seat down. it's something that should have been covered in home training anyway.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Of course, my excuse would be.
Which way is down?

Obliv_au,

Do you really think that it truly a lack of interest?
I'm not saying that it's either way, because I am not sure myself.
Anyone else like to chime in?

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was interested, but with my vision I'd never make pilot. And I wasn't emotionally cut out for the military. I tried it and ended up getting a medical discharge for depression. I'm such a dork.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Sure, there are physical differences, and working in space can be demanding.
And yes, you lose all your privacy when you decide to become an astronaut.
But hell, is there anything a man can do that a woman can't do in orbit ???

I think that point has been proven by the exemplary job women have done in space over the years. They are no longer a publicity stunt or government propaganda.
They are just hard working people that are capable of doing a very tough job.

I think I remember NASA planning an all female crew of 7 for one shuttle flight in the mid 90's, but it never happened. I think they took a lot of heat for trying to do a promotional stunt.
(I'll try to find a reference...)

The entire history of exploration on this planet has mostly been led by the stronger sex, the males. The weaker sex had no rights and no privilege without the permission of a man. Woman were thought of as property in most societies within the last hundred years, and still are in many cultures.

Women working in space have not only broken the glass ceiling, they blasted their way through it.

You Go Girls....

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
am i allowed to say
omg, women will think they rule space as well as the planet now
you can be sure they will back the shuttle into something and deny all knowledge, probabaly done while brushing hair or texting on the phone.
sorry i had to, honest

yeah it is time women done more
i do remember hearing that women could actually withstand more g-force than men (wimps).

i have followed a women called Katherine Legge, she drives in the champ car series and it is always great to see her beat a lot of the men.
she had a huge accident last year and she just brushed herself off, she did complain about a big bruise on her knee and that it would look bad because she had a dance to attend that night, pfft.
bring it on

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Obliv_au,

Do you really think that it truly a lack of interest?
I'm not saying that it's either way, because I am not sure myself.
Anyone else like to chime in?

are women incapable of doing the job, not up to the task, not good enuff? no they are not incapable.. they are just as capable as most men if they put their heart and soul into trying.

but i think for the most part, its just not something a lot of women are interested in.

first you need 1000 hr in military aircraft which rules out quite a few women who are not of the fighter jock mentality., so your left with only a few truely die hard, 100% determined individuals (women)

add that with the fact that its something males tend to dominate and i think when it comes time to pick the crews the women are trained, capable, tough enough and ready for space flight are few and far between so thats why we dont see many female astronauts.

and then there was the woman who drove halfway across the country in a nappy to get revenge for a lovers quarrell... she threw it all away, everything she ever trained and fought hard for, all gone because of a moment of jealous stupidity.

i think nasa has guys with the right experience queue'ing up at their door to get in, but women who are so strongly driven and well trained are much harder to come by.

(purely guessing here)
who knows, maybe it stems back to the whole "women in the military" thing from years ago..
most tank commanders, chopper pilots, fighter pilots, front line troops - the majority are still guys.

[edit on 25/10/07 by Obliv_au]

apc

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
And I wasn't emotionally cut out for the military.

You and most of your other chromosonal companions.

Cry babies.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Yes, i believe that is the sort of attitude that helps keep women out of positions such as this.

Perhaps it's a brain wiring thing. Maybe women will always be a small minority in space flight.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
While it is great to see women do these things, I would have to agree that the rarity of it has more to do with the lack of interest in it. But I don't think that this will always be the case in terms of space travel, and it will probably equal out more when it becomes more commonplace. Typically this is how things tend to work in frontier situations.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I was interested, but with my vision I'd never make pilot. And I wasn't emotionally cut out for the military. I tried it and ended up getting a medical discharge for depression. I'm such a dork.

I'm always interested and had excellent vision. I'm from a military lineage. My Grandfather was in the Navy; was a survivor of the 'Halifax Explosion" in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.. My real father was a Seargent Major in the Army. My Uncles were in the Armed Forces. My step-father (Dad at present) was in the Air Force (retired as Captain Pilot in Canadian Airlines) I went on to be a Flight Attendant in the 80's.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Well that is just not true.

Eileen Collins -- NASA's First Female Shuttle Commander to Lead Next Shuttle Mission

Women are quite capable of commanding space flights and being president of the United States or any Country for that matter.

This world would be a better place if there where more female leaders in place.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stari

Women are quite capable of commanding space flights and being president of the United States or any Country for that matter.

This world would be a better place if there where more female leaders in place.

You get a star for that.

I think you may be on to something here. Although a female leader will defend what belongs to her, you don't see modern female leaders going after control of other nations.
And you don't see them starting wars over resources.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
first off
i am surprised this thread disappeared so quickly
but i thought i would add this bit of information.

i was given a ticket for a day of fun in a rally car.
two groups of men seperated into two groups ran by two women.....
i was the second driver in my group and with my sense of humour, i just could not resist the joking....................
all of the male/female jokes came out until i noticed my instructor was starting to panic and get flustered. at this point we were on the rally stage and i thought i had pushed my sense of humour a little too far so i apoligised and she told me how males treated her. some guys even refused to get in the car with her and demanded their money back.
some of the guys who did get in the car with her, gave her nothing but abuse, just because they did not want to be taught by a woman.

i must admit, i was very sheepish after that.
we did lose but not because of HER driving.

do most males feel the same about being taught how to drive...

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
That's an interesting tale, chickenfeet.

I used to get something similar ... I rode motorcycles for a number of years, and I also did my own mechanical work, being especially good with the electrical systems.

I had a short at DMV once, and I was happily fixing away in the parking lot when some dude wandered up and demanded to know if he could help me.

I told him no thanks.

He got quite offended that I wasn't accepting his help, and stalked off muttering to himself.

I get it at the gas station, too, when I'm checking oil or topping up the radiator. Guys want to "help." I've gotten to the point where I just give them the hairy eyeball and ask if I look like I need any help.

They always get offended.

What's up with that? Can't a woman be mechanically competent?

As a cultural attitude, could it be this unspoken rule that women can't do their own mechanical work that is keeping more women from participating in military flight programs?

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
i was shocked when my instructor told me all.

i was very embarressed
for a couple of reasons

motor sport had been a mans thing until just a few years ago, there was a woman driver in formula 1 back in the 80s but the rules are changing.

motor sport is a very physical sport and i really enjoy katherine legge beating men in the champ car series.
plus she is sexy with them race boots on

sorry, got carried away

yes MM
anything mechanical, apart from a washing machine is a mans thing and that needs to change, so does womens town driving but thats a whole new thread

sorry off track again

men have drove women to believe they are not good enough to be mechanically minded, sad but true........... and that unwritten rule still stands for most males and females

btw
me and my sexy instructor hit it off and we had a great day. i would not have had a better day with a guy, thats for sure.
we lost the rally and she got a lot of abuse from me but she give it all back, trust me

"hairy eyeball" ? sounds as if that would sting

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Nah men generally find women capable of changing their oil as a good prospect cuz it means we don't have to do it for you. The guys trying to help you are more than likley looking for a way to talk to you, that is why they are really getting offended, we generally don't want to help ugly women. Sorry ladies but attractivness does play a factor in this, I know that sounds bad but it is true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join