It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obscure Comet Brightens Suddenly

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Well, back then it only brightened a bit as far as I know. This time it has brightened much more and is enormous. And since the prophecy speaks of "removing its mask", it kind of implies that a previously known object does something extraordinary.

But I see your point, and it could be wishful thinking too.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
I wonder if we will see a meteor shower when it does reach us?

Good question!

From what I can gather, the general consensus seems to be that we won't be passing through the particular part of space where the current dust stream is being laid down, at any point in the near future, so there won't be a visible shower as such.

Having said that, this is the first time such behavior has been observed, and if indeed unusually high dust ejection velocities are involved, then I think we could very well encounter the occasional meteor although, I suspect they would probably be very thinly spread out over space by the time the edge of the dust cloud reaches us.

I'm sure we'll find out more once scientists have had a chance to go over the data which is still coming in! If I hear anything, I'll post it here.

I also find it strange that the mainstream media has not picked up on this yet - perhaps they will soon, with all the mind boggling numbers coming in! This event has sent shock-waves through the internet community though, and could well lead to a shift in thinking in the way we look at comets (and possibly meteor showers too).

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAttackPeople
If you took all the material that's in the coma and tail of a comet, you could fit it into a suitcase and still have room for a change of clothes.

Yeah, but you could do that with anything... the real question is, would you still be able to pick up the case afterwards ?

For example, if you packed a small-medium sized star into your suitcase, you'd probably end up struggling a bit, as the material would be super-dense, that is if it didn't become a miniature black hole and suck you in, along with the case.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

It's Wormwood!!!

Just you wait till the sun and the rivers turn to blood, or whatever is supposed to happen next... can't remember what it says in the book.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Havent read that book. Sounds like fiction.

But the Hopi prophecies should be taken seriously in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Here is a cool picture comparing the size of the comet holmes with the sun and the earth. Someone said it was twice the size of the sun before, but this picture shows it to be just slightly larger. Why do I feel so small?

Its the largest object in our solar system right now. And there is more interesting stuff going on...

Amateur astronomers have been monitoring this magnetic sheet of hot plasma on the sun's southeastern limb for three days. Can it last much longer? Prominences often collapse or erupt in a matter of hours, but this one is persistent.

Source: SpaceWeather

[edit on 9-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

I think your right. It doesn't look like particles from the comet will reach Earth on the next close approach in Nov.20, 2014. The distance to the comet will be 1.88AU, and by that time given the release velocity, the particles will have only traveled 1.64AU and would be very sparse by then. So it looks like there will be no meteor shower from this comet.

[edit on 11/9/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
In the words my five year old grandson now uses to describe everything he likes, "This rocks!"

I am not only caught up in the action of the comet, which is not normal comet behavior, at least as far as we know, but in the sheer beauty of it. It is awesome to see with binoculars.

These are the kind of informative threads that make this place worth visiting. I would likely have missed this comet in the hustle and bustle of life, if not for ATS.

And isn't it strange that no one in MSM seems to give a fig about this? What's up with that?

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It looks like this comet still has a few surprises left. It appears to be loosing it's tentacles.

I'm not sure what this means. It may be breaking up. We will have to see what the experts say.

It has been cloudy all week and tonight looks promising. I hope to be able to take some new images.

[edit on 11/10/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

I have my SLOOH reservation in for Holmes tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather. It's been pretty lousy in the Canary Isles this week.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Even more beautiful picture of its disconnected tail:

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Do you mean "breaking up" as in completely? As in the fact that 7 years from now there will be no return?

Now I haven't looked for this, but I was under the impression that comets were left overs from the solar building stage. For one to "die" would seem to be a singular event.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Well I don't mean like disintegrate or disappear, but yeah, comets do breakup like 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann did last year. It will continue in it's orbit, but pieces may spread out. This is the best reason I can think of for 1) the comet getting brighter, and 2) the comet loosing it's tentacles. Time will tell.

It's not looking good for a chance to see the comet tonight. The clouds have not cleared up like they said they would. Bummer.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There's an interesting 'new' possibility now it seems...

"An analysis of observations of comet P/Holmes 1892III's two 8-10 mag bursts indicates that these phenomena are consistent with the grazing encounter of a small satellite with the nucleus on November 4.6, 1892, and the final encounter on January 16.3, 1893. While after the first burst the total magnitude fell less than 2 mag from November 7 to 30, the fading was much more rapid after the second burst. It is suggested that the grazing encounter distributed a volume of large chunks in the neighborhood of the nucleus, maintaining activity for weeks." Source: Icarus (ISSN 0019-1035), vol. 60, Dec. 1984, p. 522-531.

Just as plausible as the others I think. I suspect we'll have to send a probe to Holmes to find out what's really going on up there!

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Did you see the clip of Comet Encke loosing it's tail? That is totally amazing.

From the attached article: science.nasa.gov...

Thanks for the post.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Neat annimation - thanks for pointing that out Hal. That must be the impact of a solar CME we are seeing there.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
That must be the impact of a solar CME we are seeing there.

I had to look that one up. I've seen coronal mass ejections before on the SOHO site, but it was usually when someone points out a strange anomaly.

I think your right, it was probably A CME and it is amazing how you can watch it coming in the animation and hit the comet like a brick wall.

reply to post by IAttackPeople

Looks like they are also down tonight due to clouds. Dang it.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yes, I knew all about, before it happened. I predicted just this.

Its not me. Or at least its not anything I have ever been. I sense that in a way she is in the sky but not seen, like the blue rock was before it shined. I expect that there will be something else worth looking up at before Thanksgiving.

Would you believe me if I said there just might be a new green star watching over you and your family at dinner in the near future?

www.freedomcrowsnest.org...

I saw it, behind my eyes, before it happened.

Don't believe me? Check my source and the witnesses.

She is beautiful, yes?

Next she will be Peach.

Michael

[edit on 10-11-2007 by Malichai]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Malichai

Do you mind proving that? I'm not being trollish or anything, but proof of claims to predictions need to be a bit more documented. Is thatt your website in the quote?

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by Malichai

Do you mind proving that? I'm not being trollish or anything, but proof of claims to predictions need to be a bit more documented. Is thatt your website in the quote?

No. That is a forum that I post at.

You can see, that several days before, I was seeing green eyes.

And I called it.

If you don't believe me just ask questions in the new thread I just posted there. Guests allowed if you are nice.

www.freedomcrowsnest.org...

I also made a new post in another section here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I was talking about it in other forums at the same time so its not like I'm making it up.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join