It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obscure Comet Brightens Suddenly

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

So does that mean in 7 years when this comet comes around again, we might have "two suns"

and up to last night, it's still visible to the naked eye even in urban fort lauderdale.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You know that we now only have eight official planets don't you? Pluto was demoted and categorized as a dwarf planet along with other recently discovered objects one being larger than Pluto. So either there is not enough planets, or if you include dwarf planets there are way more than 10.

www.sciencedaily.com...

How does this fit into the planet X theory now?

Furthermore, if there were a planet Nibiru with an orbit of 3,600 years, and so oblong that it passes between the orbit of Mars and Jupiter on it's close approach, it would be impossible for life to exist on it. The temperature extremes would be to great. It's a good story, but highly improbable.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
You know that we now only have eight official planets don't you? Pluto was demoted and categorized as a dwarf planet along with other recently discovered objects one being larger than Pluto. So either there is not enough planets, or if you include dwarf planets there are way more than 10.

Yes, but the Sumarians called our moon a planet according to one of the movies I linked. Sorry if I was not clear about that earlier. And wheather the current scientists call Pluto a planet or not is really just about their interpretation, isnt it?

Furthermore, if there were a planet Nibiru with an orbit of 3,600 years, and so oblong that it passes between the orbit of Mars and Jupiter on it's close approach, it would be impossible for life to exist on it. The temperature extremes would be to great. It's a good story, but highly improbable.

Yes, I agree it sounds improbable according to our current understanding of physics.

[edit on 14-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Ok so say there is a planet x does this mean anything exactly?

I dont know... trying to find out.

IF there is a Planet X

It spells your

DOOM

But this is a ball of gas not a stray planet.

I still have trouble figuring out how it can have so much gas generated from a small chunk of ice/rock less then 4 kilometers in size that is bright and visible and bigger than the Sun... Thats a lot of volume to fill

Where is all dem skeptic physicists with their numbers when you need them

Oh about that Doom thing? Seems Sitchin has recalculated and it won't be here till 2084...

Convienient, because neither he nor anyone else who cares will still be here

[edit on 14-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yep, its a interesting object. Im just doing my best trying to find alternative explanations to what we are seeing here. A comet larger than the sun.

I will be the first one to admit that Im just throwing theories out there though. They are not to be taken as The Truth™.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
So does that mean in 7 years when this comet comes around again, we might have "two suns"

and up to last night, it's still visible to the naked eye even in urban fort lauderdale.

Not likely, since the comet brightened almost this much more than a hundred years ago (when it was discovered in November 1892), but didnt do it again until this year.

Nearly every astronomer reported the comet was visible to the naked eye through the first half of November, but few made actual total magnitude estimates. E. E. Barnard (Lick Observatory, California, USA) said the comet "was easily visible to the naked eye, as a small hazy star, and almost exactly as bright as the brightest part" of the galaxy M31 on the 9th. The comet faded throughout the second half of November, but it was still a naked-eye object until the last days of this period.

Source

Its a nice mystery.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
Hey, well I don't know. I just know it was very big and bright. Also, when I looked straight ahead from where I was standing I saw what I thought was venus. It too showed off but not like this. Whatever, it was, was the brightest thing ever.
What are you looking at, Shar. It can't be Comet Holmes, because the comet isn't that bright. In fact it is very dim relative to many other objects in the night sky. I look at it almost every night, and was looking at it last night. I haven't noticed it getting any noticably brighter -- in fact I think it's dimming.

If you saw a very bright object -- and you said you saw it in daylight -- then you were not looking at Comet Holmes.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ok people, maybe you should take a look at this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm not saying it scared me, but I'm pretty amazed right now.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by Shar
Hey, well I don't know. I just know it was very big and bright. Also, when I looked straight ahead from where I was standing I saw what I thought was venus. It too showed off but not like this. Whatever, it was, was the brightest thing ever.
What are you looking at, Shar. It can't be Comet Holmes, because the comet isn't that bright. In fact it is very dim relative to many other objects in the night sky. I look at it almost every night, and was looking at it last night. I haven't noticed it getting any noticably brighter -- in fact I think it's dimming.

If you saw a very bright object -- and you said you saw it in daylight -- then you were not looking at Comet Holmes.

Yeah, it seems to be growing so large its dimming out:

I think it will probably disappear from naked eye view near the end of November like it did in 1892.

Mod Edit: New Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.
(bb tags)

[edit on 14-11-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

reply to post by zorgon

Yep, its a interesting object. Im just doing my best trying to find alternative explanations to what we are seeing here. A comet larger than the sun.

I will be the first one to admit that Im just throwing theories out there though. They are not to be taken as The Truth™.

It is not uncommon for a comet's coma -- not the nucleus -- to be as large or larger than the sun. As stated by others, Comet Holmes' coma is now larger than the Sun.

There have been many other comet's whose comas grew that large -- Hale-Bopp was one.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Yes, but the Sumarians called our moon a planet according to one of the movies I linked. Sorry if I was not clear about that earlier. And wheather the current scientists call Pluto a planet or not is really just about their interpretation, isnt it?

That is exactly my point. It is all in the interpretation. How does ZS know what the Sumerians classified as a planet? Why if the Sumerians had this vast knowledge did they not mention all these other large bodies? I'm going to venture a guess here and say that if Pluto was never discovered or classified as a planet, then Nibiru would have been the 9th planet X (which would fit todays definition). Or if Ceros was also classified as a Planet, ZS would say that now the Moon was not one of the planets. It is a matter of making the numbers fit the theory. All IMHO.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

I wish I could find some kind of site with what the Sumarians said about the universe, detailing what exactly was being said. But so far, no success.

And you are right in being a skeptic, I dont blame you at all. Just means we need to find what the Sumarians had written in their works somehow so we can verify his interpretations of it.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

If you want to investigate it, there were lots of links to both sides of the argument on that wiki Zecharia Sitchin page. It looks like to much work for me, but I'm sure if you look at both sides you will figure it out.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

If you want to investigate it, there were lots of links to both sides of the argument on that wiki Zecharia Sitchin page. It looks like to much work for me, but I'm sure if you look at both sides you will figure it out.

Thanks, I will have a look at it later. Right now my attention is on the crop circle/Comet Holmes thread that tunin posted.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Then someone please tell me what I saw. What is the brightest object in the sky right now. That can also be seen in the morning light.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Hello Shar. From what I've read in your posts, you said that you saw this very bright star for most of the night? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you saw this for most of the night it would not be Venus. Venus is the brightest object, but this time of year it rises very early in the East right before the sun comes up. You also said it was in a different part of the sky later throughout the night, which is normal. All stars and planets appear to rotate around the sky throughout the night with the north star being the center. Because you saw it throughout the night, also tells me it was probably a planet or star and not some airplane or UFO. They usually don't hang around for very long.

The next brightest star in the sky right now is Jupiter which is toward the south and does not rise very high. It depends on your location as to how high in the sky it gets. Right now the Moon is very close to Jupiter, so using that as a reference that might help figure out what direction you saw this thing.

If you give me your location and the time you saw it along with the approximate direction (North, South, East or West) then I can use a program to see what it might be.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Hey I u2 you my location. Hopefully, that will help us.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Another cool picture showing the Sun and Comet Holmes. The tiny planet in the right hand corner is Saturn, shown for you to get a perspective of the size of this thing. Here is Saturn size compared to Earth and the other planets. We are small.

Comet Holmes showed a double outburst in November 1892 and January 1893. It is not known if the present activity in the comet will follow the pattern from 1892, but continued observations from Mauna Kea are planned to watch for a second outburst. Most comets show small fluctuations in brightness and some have distinct outbursts. The huge event on-going in comet Holmes is unprecedented, however.

Source

It kind of says a lot about the mass media when we have a comet larger than the sun in our solar system, and they arent even covering it.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Is this the same comet as in this story?
www.cropcircleconnector.com...
this crop circle in this story resembles it. take a look at the picture you have to scroll down a bit.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by gnisirtraehkrad

Yes it probably is, and ATS have a thread here about it.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join