It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pen and Teller on the Bible - Fact or Fiction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Really awesome video for non-believers of christianity. Penn and Teller are very talented and smart so you dont lose interest. They debunk the bible from chapter 1.

Video

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

yes.. and I believe everything magicians tell me.....It's all real! oh wait maybe they should stick to stage shows. If the bible is complete hocus pocus then what is the real history? Where did the Jews come from? Russia? in order to lawfully correct the history you need to be able to provide historic evidence, not just per specific events but all history. I don't know that they can pull the bible's cousin out of a hat... the bible isn't just a book but a compilation of books. you would need to disprove each original translation from each separate distinct source in time. some written hundreds of miles apart and hundreds of years apart. quite an undertaking.. something actual scholars have been working on for a long time.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DIRTMASTER

Did you watch the movie?

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well, first, I'd like to say kudos to Penn for saying he's essentially an evangelical athiest. Few athiests who are such are willing to say such.

As to what he talks about, though, he approaches with a specific slant. This isn't to say it's wrong -- as he says, he's an evangelical athiest.

The argument put forward by the Christian "authority" is weak at best. As I heard him speak I, even I, someone who is not a Biblical scholar, has not gone to school for this, but just enjoys reading scripture and coming to know who God is, plenty of arguments based on scripture and literary evidence came into my mind negating his qualifiers, such as his first statement regarding multiple authors for Genesis.

Right after he says that, Penn takes it and runs with the statement. While the statement was incorrect, Penn takes the words, and skews it even further.

Penn and Teller are famous for their misdirection. They're a lot of fun to watch, funny, and often do show a perspective that has the potential to change someone's idea. However, what they put forward in this should not be seen as proof any more than saying their show is as filling as pizza (weak, but kinda used something Penn said early in the show
).

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
reply to post by DIRTMASTER

Did you watch the movie?

"faith, history and pizza.." all bible translations are debatable for accuracy. thats a given in any known record or journal. conclusions on truth are drawn different from any given translation. one of the few I use is NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION WITH APOCRYPHA. that is a mouthful in that they didn't retranslated a specific translation. but for each book within drew back to the distinct and oldest record or original whatever language it may be. translated each record using modern understanding and historical hind sight. compared for which records disprove authenticity for author to decide which books belong especially out of the apocryphal.. and an important note is that it reads closer to plain English! Do i believe the bible as a perfect record..no are parts correct when in proper context..yes. which I believe is in the video. do I believe everything that standard Christianity draws out of it..no. Its like 9/11.. all accounts of that event are relative in accuracy to the comprehension and education of the individuals to whether they had their contacts in that day. did 9/11 happen..sure does everyone agree on what happened.. this forum is proof of a no for that one. in the new testament not even all the 12 apostles agreed on everything.. so the bible is both true and false depending on which translation, book and context symbolic or historical lost concept you may be reading that day with the education of the reader.... to me religion should be able to advance as well as science does.(not perfect either but the very method admits it) I believe for religion to be up to date with todays understanding of the universe. you need a new moses. a modern educated person to literally interface with God and throw out our modern questions. i have not heard of the pope accomplishing such feat and i'm not talking David Koresh..

anyhoo thats my take on the bible and religion..

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
i am also a athiest.

and this video i seen it before very intresting points thay have a reason for doing this thay dont just wanna stir up all these people in the world but yeh u need to look into it more there is tons the bible aint telling us thay are hiding the truth and to tell u the truth its all imaginary this bible

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I can't believe people still tout these two guys around as if they were the end all of all end alls... :shk:
They are obviously biased about any topic they approach and to be honest, I'd take anything they said or "disproved" with a grain of the proverbial salt.

[edit on 24-10-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Penn and Teller are sellout propogandists, I don't know when and where they decided to become mouthpieces for the establishment, but I'd be willing to be it wouldn't take too much digging to find out who's buying their opinions these days especially when it comes to their opinions of Christianity. Teller is of Jewish parentage, and the production they pass off as television comes from the likes of David L. Wolper, going so far as to parody the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. IMO, they hold about as much credibility as Harry Blackstone, or Anne Coulter for that matter.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I hate to be as cliche as I'm about to be but...

I am an Atheist. I'm undecided about 911.

THEY ARE EX-MAGICIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care who you are or what you believe, I refuse to listen to ex-entertainers for any kind of information.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I didn't get to read it but drakeman had the last post on this thread according to MY ATS, but I don't see his post, or any indication that it was removed.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 04:41 AM
link   
the magicians point is so absurd and ridiculous. james randi, aka "the amazing randi" was a magician and is now world renowned for spreading the truth and uncovering BS

who better to spot BS than magicians? they know how it's all done

anyway, the points brought up in the video do have incredible merit

top topics

join