It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey 'hits PKK targets in Iraq'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Turkey 'hits PKK targets in Iraq'

english.aljazeera.net

Turkish forces have carried out a number of limited sorties inside northern Iraq to attack Kurdish fighters during recent days, according to military sources.

Reports of the attacks came as the president of Iraq's northern Kurdish region urged the Kurdistan Workers' party (PKK) to end its armed campaign against Turkey.

Sources told Reuters news agency that warplanes had flown up to 20km into Iraqi territory and about 300 ground troops had advanced about 10km.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Turkish troops killed by rebels

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
So it begins.

Turkey has every right to deal with the PKK and that's the problem for America. The stance of the war on terror, hunting down terrorists across the globe, has highlighted a problem when Turkey wants to invade Northern Iraq.

If Washington is all for defeating terrorism, Turkey should be given it's blessing to go ahead, but the North of Iraq is the only stable area of the country.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I agree that the PKK needs to be taken care of, but i think the US shoule be responsible for it since we now own iraq. We let the PKK run loose in the one part of iraq that was a success.

You know what this means?

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sp00n1
but i think the US shoule be responsible for it since we now own iraq.

You don't "own iraq".

Iraq is not a colony of the United States.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You beak it, you buy it!

With the US building permanent bases there, king george is clearly planning a long term presence. I dont agree with it, but it's just what happened.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I have to say if a people are persecuted and oppressed do they not have the right to rebel? Some who are called Terrorists are oppressors and persecutors like the Taliban. Some who are called Terrorists are Patriots fighting for their people and their freedom.

The whole concept of a War on Terror is hypocritical. Asymetrical warfare by a weaker group against a larger more powerful group isn't in itself evil. Its tactics. The end justifies the means. This has been used by pretty much every people and nation on the face of the earth at one point in time.

Turkey has the right to deal with criminals.

Turkey also has the Responsiblity to govern its people Humanely.

If a nation fails to govern its people responsibly expect the people to stop supporting that government.

That is the bigger picture and until it is addressed this conflict will not end.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The whole concept of a War on Terror is hypocritical.

That's what I am trying to point out.

If this was a war on terrorism, Washington would have no problem with Turkey dealing with the PKK.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The whole concept of a War on Terror is hypocritical.

That's what I am trying to point out.

If this was a war on terrorism, Washington would have no problem with Turkey dealing with the PKK.

The concept of a War on Terror is impractical and unrealistic. You cant declare war on a tactic. Especially depending on the context of the tactics use. The War on Terror doesnt really mean a War on Terror. We use Terror tactics. We support groups that use terror tactics. A government trying to keep its people in a state of fear is a Terror tactic. Fearmongering to pass legislation or start wars is a terror tactic. Its all about terrifying someone somwhere somehow to accomplish a mission or goal.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I thought the US has been in bed with the Kurds for a while now?

Would'nt look good if we let people attack our allies, would it?

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
some more news as the Peshmerga (Kurdish Defense Forces) pledges to fight Turkish forces.

Iraq's Kurds vow to fight Turkish troops

DERISHKIT, Iraq - Two Turkish jet fighters streaked across the mountain peaks near this border village Wednesday as part of an expanding military force gathered to pressure Kurdish rebels to abandon their hideouts in northern Iraq.

news.yahoo.com...

There are up to 400,000 Peshmerga a number of them make a large portion of the Iraqi Army. They have 2,000 armored vehicles including tanks that are theirs alone and not part of the Iraqi Army.

In other words The Kurdish Defense Forces are larger and stronger than the Official Iraqi Army and outnumber both Turkish and US forces in the area. In firepower and manpower they are far superior to other militants like Hezbollah or the Taliban. Considering what a few thousand Hezbollah did in Lebanon a year ago and a few thousand Taliban have been doing to NATO in Afghanistan this could easily be bigger and messier.

America needs to remember who helped who in March 2003. I sat in Kuwait two weeks waiting on my unit's tanks and other vehicles to come back from port in Turkey. Since Fourth Infantry Division was not able to enter Northern Iraq from Turkey we would not have been able to defeat Saddam's forces in northern Iraq if it had not been for the help of the Peshmerga. Their help was vital in the securing of Northern Iraqi cities. When the Shiites turned on us in Iraq who stayed with us? Who has helped us fight the insurgents and who has helped us crush Al Qaida forces in Northern Iraq?

The future of NATO, the EU, Iraq, and the Middle East could all be at stake here.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
A second day of strikes have happened;

Turkish warplanes have bombed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) targets along the Iraqi border in southeast Turkey, the country's semi-official Anatolia news agency has said.

The agency said fighter jets from an air force base at Diyarbakir, the main city in the mainly Kurdish southeast, bombed and destroyed several PKK positions on Wednesday.

It said the bombings particularly targeted PKK routes in high mountainous areas.

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
More news from the AP

Turkey: US will not stop Iraq incursion

ANKARA, Turkey - Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Thursday that U.S. objections would not stop Turkey from crossing into Iraq to eliminate Kurdish rebels. The Turkish military said it had killed more than 30 insurgents who were poised to launch an attack on the border.

news.yahoo.com...

Turkey is sadly confused. If we chose to stop Turkey we could. The question right now is whether we will act responsibly and as an occupying force defend the occupied land from aggressors. The Kurds are expecting us to. I recommend we have compromise. The Peshmerga disarms the PKK and we guarantee without doubt to the Kurds we will defend them from any Incursion regardless if it is Iranian or Turkish.

new topics

top topics

join