It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedimiller's report from San Diego.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Hello all. let me just say that the smell here is horrid, but the media is making it out to be worse. As always, of course. I came back from a wedding in Riverside and it was worse up there, I mean there was ash everywhere. But to be fair, it was good to evacuate those people from the hills. the homes that burned were in the upper class sections of san diego. where the homes were worth over 800K. So they are families with very good incomes. the majority of San Diego is just fine, we are just getting smoke in our skies, but people are working, driving and doing normal things all around the county. Qualcom stadium is empty, only about 3000 people there. there were evacuations over the 3 days here, but not at the same time and some people didn't evacuate their homes. they estimate over 500,000 people, but that's hard to believe.

From my point of view here..and from what i've seen so far, the firefighters let the houses burn down. they watched the fire move and never did anything about it. Also, the military planes are nowhere to be seen, a few helicopters here and there, no military presence..but we did get more help from the people..water, food and things that the government has not supplied.

they told everyone to take pictures before evacuating...or they won't be getting paid. that was so cold and wrong to say on the news.

Overall, it's only the east of san diego that's burning..slowly, and those homes belonged to the rich folks with most of their money is the bank, and they are going to get reimbursed. only 1 person has died. Small injuries here and there, but nothing too much to worry about. it's pretty much over and things are well now.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Also, to add. the oil companies like chevron and shell are getting richer. there were lines to fill up with gas last night. I heard of NO free gas given out to the public...they knew that people had to evacuate and they made everyone fill up first and wait hours to get gas.

no support from the rich oil companies here.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I dont understand how California can not have enough resources year after year after year..... Pretty much every year these fires pop up and you hear oh if we HAD enough resources..... what the hell?

Yes the smell is really bad, really dry, ashy, my eyes & throats are soar and I'm over 30miles away all our school sports activities were canceled again today.

I wish you the best of luck and it's good to hear a first persons view of something this major. Good luck sir!!

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Thankyou for your reports please keep them coming. Could you take some video or get stills? Could you interview people , regular people? NOt hand picked by the press corps.? Wear a mask if you can and be careful what ever you do. Also are you hearing anything about looting or violence? How is the crime levels right now? How are the Mexicans not just walking over the borders un hindered right now?

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm confused. Just what are you saying?

Originally posted by jedimiller
But to be fair, it was good to evacuate those people from the hills. the homes that burned were in the upper class sections of san diego. where the homes were worth over 800K. So they are families with very good incomes. the majority of San Diego is just fine

Too bad, so sad for the upper class sections of SD? My friend, a guy in my wedding, has one of those homes. Only the rest of SD matters? God forbid, those who have a high-paying job and lost their home shouldn't receive any pity?

and those homes belonged to the rich folks with most of their money is the bank, and they are going to get reimbursed.

Wow, what an incredibly assinine and insensitive thing to say. Hmm, who should I pitty here? The "rich folks" who can afford the mortgage and insured their home; or the others who probably bought more home then they should have, have a 1 or 2 year ARM about to go through the roof, with a LTV of 120% and possibly no homeowner's insurance? Here's a clue: memories, from rich or poor people, aren't insurable. Family treasures and heirlooms typically aren't insured and cannot be replaced.

Maybe the smell isn't the smoldering ruins of woodlands and homes, maybe it's the smell of envy.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Just because you live in the area I must say, you are not automatically the word we should all adhere to. Meaning.. We can all see the videos, the facts and so forth on not only main stream news (who cannot honestly blow it as out of proportion as you claim) .. but also many, many independent and international news and blog sources. To me. You sound like a cynic.

But to be fair, it was good to evacuate those people from the hills. the homes that burned were in the upper class sections of san diego. where the homes were worth over 800K. So they are families with very good incomes.

..This matters...... why?

the majority of San Diego is just fine

We know.

we are just getting smoke in our skies, but people are working, driving and doing normal things all around the county.

We know.

Qualcom stadium is empty, only about 3000 people there.

Interesting. Last night estimates where as high as 10,000 people, with tents and cots covering half of all parking spaces. This has been second by the volunteers there.

there were evacuations over the 3 days here, but not at the same time and some people didn't evacuate their homes.

This is true, but with an estimated 10k at the stadium, another 20k in hotels, and tens upon tens of thousands with family in other areas of the city or region... what do you expect?

I think just because you don't see them running down the street they are not there huh?

they estimate over 500,000 people, but that's hard to believe.

Last estimate is 900,000 people effected by evacuations, local and national sources.

From my point of view here..and from what i've seen so far, the firefighters let the houses burn down.

Ooo. A conspiracy? Most of the time, yes a house is lost. Hopefully you understand this is a firestorm, and the fire is almost impossible to contain in some cases. What do you expect? Firefighters to whip out the Easy Button and make the fire go away?

they watched the fire move and never did anything about it.

How many times did you personally witness this?

Also, the military planes are nowhere to be seen

Hmm. Probably in the hills, not over the city.

a few helicopters here and there

The sky should be covered, masking the sun with helicopters!

no military presence..but we did get more help from the people..water, food and things that the government has not supplied.

Er, only 1,500 troops have been activated as of now. Do you also expect humvees and tankers running through San Diego? .. as for "no government aid" thats a bunch of crap, absolute lie.

they told everyone to take pictures before evacuating...or they won't be getting paid. that was so cold and wrong to say on the news.

Ummmm.. that is normal procedure.. if you have renters/home insurance you should always keep a log in pictures or video of what you own.. other wise you won't get it all replaced.

Overall, it's only the east of san diego that's burning..slowly

4 days over 450 square miles 2000 homes and 3000 businesses with 6 reported deaths. Very slow.

and those homes belonged to the rich folks with most of their money is the bank, and they are going to get reimbursed.

Sincerely, your disgusting, absolutely appalling. That comment there shows to all of us your true character, or lack thereof.

only 1 person has died.

Small injuries here and there, but nothing too much to worry about.

Are you serious?

it's pretty much over and things are well now.

over 12 fires and about 8% containment. *SNIP* Among other things..

no support from the rich oil companies here.

Er, are they supposed to? Perhaps every local business should fork out the money.
Thats the gov's job man.

I wonder about your agenda, or if your honestly this ignorant..

[edit on 10/24/2007 by Rockpuck]

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24/10/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
From my point of view here..and from what i've seen so far, the firefighters let the houses burn down.

Jedi, Its pretty clear you have never been a firefighter, or in my case been to a fire academy (I once had dreams of being a Fireman). If you look at the pattern yes some of the older areas got hit pretty hard. Why? Because of old building codes and in many cases the total lack of a defensable perimeter around the structures. Newer homes require different structures and cleared areas around the house.

With a flame front moving so fast the best they could do is gt in spray some foam and get out. Im not sure what you expected, but the lives of the firefighters have clear priority over the structures. If its not defensable you let it go period.

Other areas where they could safely make a stand they did.

As to military planes or other tanker aircraft, in this type of fire when the flame front is 8+ feet airdrops do little good. The material is simply evaporated before it hits and has any effect.

having lived through the Oakland Hills fire and seen a true inferno, I would be interested to see if you would stand your ground in such conditions.

rich folks with most of their money is the bank, and they are going to get reimbursed.

You have amde several refrences to rich and rich area. You do realize that they are people too right? With the same hopes, dreams, and fears as the rest of us?

new topics

top topics

join