It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge Drops Suit Seeking Reparations for Slavery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Just read this in the Chicago Tribune. A federal judge dropped the case seeking reperations against 19 blue-chip companies for using slave labor before the Civil War.

Charlse Norgle Sr. said in his 75-page opiniion that "'Plaintiffs' attempt to bring these claims more then a century after the end of the Civil War and the formal abolition of slavery fails. This determination is consistant with the position taken by numerous courts which have considered the issue over the last century."

Now, there's one thing that I have to say about this: Ex Post Facto. The companies owned slaves when it was legal. When it became illegal, they got rid of the slaves. Here in America, it is stipulated in the Constitution that no one can be held accountable for past "crimes" if they were committed before the law was passed. So I agree with the ruling. What about y'all?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Thank Goodness......

I think its just another example of trying to get something for doing nothing. The people that would benefit from this case do not even know their ancestors that were slaves.

This is like me suing the government for the Trail of Tears. Its history and should be treated as such not as material to be tried in a Court of Law.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
As bad as slavery was, and as bad as the race problems are now, I agree with the ruling. Besides the fact that this was more of a trial for past crimes, it was also going after the wrong people. It is almost a garantee that those running these companies now, are not the ones running it then. Those running it back then are most likely all dead.

I feel for those who had ancestors that were slaves. It must really suck. I can't speak of being a slave or slave "owner" from personal experience. On the same note, I doubt anyone today can claim they were a slave back then either.

The fact that the ancestors of slaves hold the past against the ancestors of slave owners really bugs me. That is the number one reason for racism on any side of the story from any race these days, yet no one, of any color race or creed looks at this as "that was then, this is now". Things have changed, but no one will let the past stay in the past. It really is a shame, as we are all equal and all the same, and not enough people seem willing to accept that.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Nice to see that sometimes, common sense actually applies in the courtroom....very refreshing....

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I also agree with the court ruling.

I used to be for slave repararations, but have researching on it and gaining more thought about it I see it's a stupid thing.

top topics

join