It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 F-18's Collide & Survive

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
"Two F/A-18 Hornets from (the) Top Gun (school) were dogfighting and made a head on pass, just a bit too close. One got home with part of the left wing and left vertical fin and rudder missing, while the other jet is missing everything forward of the cockpit pressure bulkhead - and is a flying convertible because the canopy is shattered, too. These guys are lucky. It shows how rugged these aircraft are...Also shows how good the pilots are."
Source: A US Navy contact / skyguy.com

Tail & Wing Damage
(click image for larger view)

Nose Cone Damage
(click image for larger view)

One thought regarding the statement, "Also shows how good the pilots are." Although I am not a pilot, the layman has to question just how good a pilot is to actually collide with another jet at 3 or 400 knots...

Also, just for the sake of discussion. what would you do if a Hornet's APG-73 radar came crashing down in your living room?

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
huh?

when did this happen?
Because I'm sure I've seen that second pic before!

hehe boys with toys *shakes head*

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Not sure when it happened - I was only pointed to it by a Navy friend.
here's another picture...
www.skyguy.org...

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
yeah I've deffinately seen that pic before...
I believe that happend two years ago

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Saw a documentary a while back on The History Channel in which an F-15 Eagle lost it's entire right wing and was still able to fly and land safely.It's huge size gave it enough lift to stay airborne.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
where is the topgun school located?

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PARALYZ
Saw a documentary a while back on The History Channel in which an F-15 Eagle lost it's entire right wing and was still able to fly and land safely.It's huge size gave it enough lift to stay airborne.

Yea I watched the same program. The pilot of that damaged eagle didn't notice until he landed and someone else pointed it out to him.
Just shows how durable some things are.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raptor
where is the topgun school located?

there's more than one - but i think this happened at Miramar...

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Interesting! And damn fortunate that those pilots made it back...

I've often slammed into aircraft in flight sims, when making a head-on guns pass. You sort of expect the other guy to get out of the way! Except it's an AI...

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I believe I read about that in Readers Digest several years ago.

What is that trailing off the left wing in picture 1? (The landing one)

DoD

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I HAVE GOT TO GIVE IT TO THE PIOLTS FOR GETTING THE PLANES BACK SAFLEY AS THE BOTH COULD HAVE EJECTED

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
These planes were actually from VFC-12 (Fighter Squadron Composite 12) based at NAS Oceana Virginia. The midair happened around summer of 1996. I was attached to that squadron from August 96 to May 00. It happened right before I checked in.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
A testament to Pilot training and the durability of modern combat aircraft. Thank God they survived without injury.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
All I got to say is...

Nice aircraft stupid pilots.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
All I got to say is...

Out,
Russian

not really, f18 is one of the worst aircraft in history, it lacks everything from range to payload.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
F-18 is not a bad aircraft.

Please explain more as why it is bad.

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

These pilots are were not "Top Gun" Pilots they are a part of VFC-12 a which is a adversary squadron. Basically they train the fleet squadrons for air-to-air combat. But all of their pilots have been through "Top Gun."

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by feindflug

Originally posted by Russian
All I got to say is...

Out,
Russian

not really, f18 is one of the worst aircraft in history, it lacks everything from range to payload.

From my understanding, the F18 is one of the best multi purpose fighters out there. And range doesn't mean much these days with mid air refeuling.

The F/A-18 has proven to be an ideal component of the carrier based tactical aviation equation over its 15 years of operational experience. The only F/A-18 characteristic found to be marginally adequate by battle group commanders, outside experts, and even the men who fly the Hornet, is its range when flown on certain strike mission profiles. However, the inadequacy is managed well with organic and joint tanking assets.

From F/A 18

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
How fun would that have been to fly back top down? I would've hung my elbow out of the cockpit in that 250 knot slipstream just for the sheer coolness factor. How does something like this affect the pilot's rep? OK - midair during training: BAD. Flew home a severely crippled bird: RIGHT STUFF. It seems it would balance out IMO.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoganCale
I believe I read about that in Readers Digest several years ago.

What is that trailing off the left wing in picture 1? (The landing one)

I also read it once at my grandparents place in the same thing around that time. It was a great article with first hand account from one of the pilots I believe.

Some more detail to the story can be found here:
scholar.lib.vt.edu...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join