It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First time fantasy Basketball player, can anyone help?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hey, i just started playing fantasy sports this year, even though i have meant to play for the past 5 years. I played baseball and had a great time, and actually won my league. But, I am a huge baseball fan and already knew stats and players.

I haven't watched basketball since the knicks started to suck (i.e 15 years ago).
I really only know the big name players. I went on sportsline and yahoo for some insight and rankings but i am lost on what position to draft early and what position to draft later. There will be 8 people in my league. Can someone please give me some pointers. Thanks in advance

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I will give you a few pointers. Now here is one for your first pick go for either a point guard or a center because their are fewer high quality people at these spots. I would go after either Gilbert Arenas or Steve Nash for Point Guard, and Dwight Howard or Pau Gasol for Center.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Here's a few quick tips.......
Stay away from Milwaukee Buck's players.
All they do is dissapoint.
And dont add Shaq,he is in a decline.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by spinstopshere
I would go after either Gilbert Arenas or Steve Nash for Point Guard

Just for clarification, I think Arenas plays the two (shooting guard), but it might not matter in fantasy league.

Hikix, is there any kind of salary cap for players? If so you'll need to find some good cheap players. Bonzi Wells is happy again playing for Rick Adelman down here in Houston and could be a steal on the cheap.

Peace

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   
there is no salary cap... its a draft, 8 people playing.. so i will get one pick every 8 times around. I figured it would be good to pick a point guard or center as opposed to a forward because the forward position is very talent rich.

JbT

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Everyone in my leagues are trying to take Dwane Wade & Chris Bosh from me.

Ive always gone with the rules of SF/PF myself for the first pick(s), like he said above, there is generaly few great ones (Garnett, Nowitzki, James, Marion) and the rest are average. I then usually pick a couple Point Guards (Bryant, Nash, Arenas, Kidd) or Centers (Stoudermire, Ming, Bosh) which ever there is the better player IMO.

With 8 people in your leagues, you should be able to fill out a very nice roster if you plan right. I have 12 people in mine, which makes it so that the guys at the 10-12 picks usually end up getting a Center (Ming, Gasol) because all the great SF/PF/Gaurds have been taken already. It tends to hurt you I have found if you are not able to get a top SF/PF/Gaurd, essecially if you havnt planned for a center first pick. I guess if you plan it out right, a center first pick should work in the long run. Just something I dont do myself.

Have fun.

top topics

join