What Do You Love About the USA?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

That's not the case here in America, either. Hospital ERs are required to treat you even if you have no insurance/money. And you don't have to pay the bill. And you kind of ignored EDIT: (most of the) points I made...

I don't think I ignored anything. I merely answered the question in the way I saw fit.

About the hospitals, sure they are required to treat you, but only after you are in such bad condition from not having been able to afford a doctor the last x-amount of months, years. By then it's too late. Is this true compassion ? I think not.

I also think making families choose between food, rent, and needed medication is uncompassionate as well. Now, shall I go on with all that's wrong with this country, Jungle Jake or start giving meaningless, mindless fluff answers such as "I love the usa because of our FREEEEEDDDDDOOOMMMMM and blue mountain majesties etc etc ad nauseam" simply because answers like that make people like you feel more comfortable and less affronted.

Or did you want my honest answers ? Well, you got 'em. Some of 'em anyway.

Originally posted by dahei
uhm excuse me i lived in england for 33 years , if you think it's better there then here good luck ,free healthcare ? have you seen it yet ?
there's no such thing as free healthcare , you pay for it one way or the other .
hope you also enjoy the poor wages , crap overpriced housing ,and stepping over the homeless !!!!!!

Oh, I forgot, we don't have any of THOSE problems in the States. My bad.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I'll be honest, I skipped over 2 pages on this topic because I'm pretty sure a lot of the sentiments about why America is so great have been stated a bunch of times, because there are so many. And I agree with all of them (I mean come on, Red Sox vs Yankees? How much better can it get here in America?)

That being said, I'm not sure if this has been stated in such a manner, but a big reason I love America is for the simple reason that we can all gather here on ATS and discuss the things we do. I love America for the simple reason that such a website like this can exist, and that we have the freedom to talk about what we like and dislike about this great nation.

I'm proud to be an American, no matter what anyone says about us.

P.S. Go RedSox!

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
First, KayEm, read my posts in this thread, they went into a little more detail then that. And as for only being treated by an ER if you're really sick or injured, that's not the case at all. My dad went in because his heart was fluttering, and they weren't sure if he had had a heart attack (He didn't, thank God). While I was sitting in the waiting room, ambulances were bringing in people who were really hurt, true. In the waiting room, however, there was one person there because they had cramps in their gut. Talked to that gentleman and it sounded a lot like he just had gas. Another mother had her child in there because he had a bloody nose. Both were treated, not told to go away, and both would have been treated no matter what.

I appreciate and respect that you're giving honest answers, I just happen to disagree with them. And FYI, I try my best not to post "fluff".

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Well, I think it's time for this thread to resurface again. I've been reading a lot about why America is the "great Satan", an evil country, why it needs to collapse, how America is the worst country in the world, etc.

Name one country with more freedoms then the US has, which is more prosperous, and has as much compassion for the rest of the world. Name one country in the world whose citizens give more to charities to help the less fortunate throughout the world. Then, please, move there.

I was going to bring back this thread myself - I saw it before I joined up and never got to post. Thanks for beating me to the punch.

Any ways - I have to say:

I have been a lot of places.... All over Europe, south America, wher ever. Maybe even China this summer.

NO PLACE IN THE WORLD CAN HOLD THE US's JOCK. This country just plain rocks. The best of all worlds. You like beaches - we've got it. You like mountains - we've got it. Huge cities - got them. Farm land - got it. Great food of EVERY kind - we've got it. THE MOST FREEDOMS - we've got them. Good old detroit muscle - we've got it.

This is the best country in the world by far - ANYTHING here is doable - you just need to want it bad enough. I love how I can go shooting, and own my own gun! I love that I am free to say whatever I wish, and no one can tell me I have to stop. I love that despite how different we all are over here, we can come together like no other nation in the world.

I love how our athletes DOMINATE! Hell, we even have the best soccer prospect in the world(first time for everything right?)!
I love how the US has FOOTBALL (i'm talking REAL good old smashmouth football.....Eagles will win the super bowl this year! 4th times a charm!!!!)
I love how in the face of evil, the US has the guts to stand up to it.

I love how we can go to such cities as NY DC Philly and Boston in a few hours drive. I love how I can be born in the north, and move down south for some of their lovely ladies

I love it all man - It's really a shame that some people don't realize how great this nation is. If any one from Europe is reading this - you guys should come over - it really is the greatest place in the world

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
America is the greatest country in the world - 'nuff said.

America let me apply and get accepted to the best school in the world in the greatest city in the world - Georgia Tech.

America let's me handle my own life while the power handles the government (republic, not democracy).

America let me sit on a cool evening in Los Angeles on the roof of a house, staring at the magnificent and dreamy lights of downtown Los Angles.

America gave me the greatest sport in the world: BASEBALL.

America gave me the greatest sports team ever, the guys who lift my life when I'm down - The ATLANTA BRAVES.

America is the most progressive, technologically, advanced, and deep nation in the world - it kicks @$$.

America has tons of food and water. There is always too much left over, and I can eat it all!

America gave us PC games, the greatest entertainment medium.

America lets me tell the government to go f**k itself (although that may change soon).

America has the U.S. Marine Corps, the greatest, most mystical, and most elite warrior force in the world (which I soon will be a part of).

America let me have the highest standard of living in the world.

America gave us a top-notch police force.

America gave us lots of awesome jobs (should we choose to accept them).

America let's me listen to music of our lives, the best songs in the world!

America IS JUST THAT DAMN GOOD!!!!!!!

People like American Mad Man give America a bad name, but there are true Americans out there, and on this board. People who are honest about this nation, know what it is, and love it for what it is, warts and all, instead of ignoring the warts, and insulting other nations and making fools out of themselves.

America can be the city on the hill. We are for everyone. We respect EVERYONE. Those like American Mad Man, who insult foreign nations, are not what makes America great. People who lay their lives down for America, people who love America despite it's problems (but are still willing to voice them and fix them), and people who are great human beings is what makes America so great.

And that's why I love America. America is about respect for all humans, all races, all nations, and love for all.

[Edited on 20-4-2004 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Faisca,

Red Sox vs. Yankees, huh? America's biggest civil war...

I'm a bit disappointed. As a Braves fan, that makes me technically a Boston fan (Braves were from Boston, before Red Sox). But as your elder, I am disappointed you stooped to the level of America's losers.

Be like the Braves! Be honorable, be courageous.

And don't forget the Braves vs. Mets rivalry! That's what else makes America so great!

Wow... Boston vs. New York, Atlanta vs. New York. Let the war begin!

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Well, I think it's time for this thread to resurface again. I've been reading a lot about why America is the "great Satan", an evil country, why it needs to collapse, how America is the worst country in the world, etc.

Name one country with more freedoms then the US has, which is more prosperous, and has as much compassion for the rest of the world. Name one country in the world whose citizens give more to charities to help the less fortunate throughout the world. Then, please, move there.

New Zealand. Well that was easy...

*EDIT: After I exploit your higher education system, I'm on my way. Don't worry junglejake.

[Edited on 4-20-2004 by insite]

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
NO PLACE IN THE WORLD CAN HOLD THE US's JOCK. This country just plain rocks. The best of all worlds. You like beaches - we've got it. You like mountains - we've got it. Huge cities - got them. Farm land - got it. Great food of EVERY kind - we've got it. THE MOST FREEDOMS - we've got them. Good old detroit muscle - we've got it.

This is the best country in the world by far - ANYTHING here is doable - you just need to want it bad enough. I love how I can go shooting, and own my own gun! I love that I am free to say whatever I wish, and no one can tell me I have to stop. I love that despite how different we all are over here, we can come together like no other nation in the world.

Give me one single attribute the United States has over its competitors that is not warfare oriented and I will refute it. You are living in an absolute dream world if you belive the United States is the most free nation on the planet.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
America is an awesome land populated by an ever enriching diverse people. I love the fact that I can travel from coast to coast, border to border, without being hindered by language barriers. We are so unique, creative, generous and trusting.

I've been all over the continental 48 and found busy New Yorkers who took the time to talk to a stranger, give directions and easy to follow advice. I love our food, the emmense ethnic variety that can please any palate.

Most of all I think I love the freedom and dignity of our constitution, the model for living a good life that it gives us--the continuity and the uniqueness of our government. Quirky, yes, flawed in some aspects, yes, but its the best system ever put into place. We can bash it, trash it, but its ours to defend and protect.

No where else in this world can compete or match us.
We are the people. How good that sounds and is for a fact. GBA radstar

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Insite...you keep talking about not being free in America, but the country you said you prefer to be in, and you call as a "benevolent dictatorship" restrains the freedom of thinking and speech a lot more than in the good old United States of America.

"Internal Security Enactment of 1982 which authorizes the indefinite detention without charge or trial of anyone acting in a manner prejudicial to the security of the State.(Which is the Sultan of Brunei)

This is my own quote from. www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Insite...you keep talking about not being free in America, but the country you said you prefer to be in, and you call as a "benevolent dictatorship" restrains the freedom of thinking and speech a lot more than in the good old United States of America.

"Internal Security Enactment of 1982 which authorizes the indefinite detention without charge or trial of anyone acting in a manner prejudicial to the security of the State.(Which is the Sultan of Brunei)

This is my own quote from. www.abovetopsecret.com...

LOL I didn't say I'd prefer to be there. But because I can't vote for anybody means that I'm not entitled to think for myself and act on my own according to justified laws? Youre a funny guy man. I don't think you have a clue what life is like in Brunei so I think it's time you let it go.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I don't think you have a clue what life is like in Brunei so I think it's time you let it go.

Let it go? Why, because your arguments make less sense by the minute?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I love the USA because:
We have the highest standard of living in the world.
We can better ourselves if we try.
We have almost eliminated racial prejudice.
We have the ability to offer CONSTRUCIVE criticism to our leaders.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   
America now is not as free as it was in the past.
However, it is much freer now than it will be in the future.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

I don't think you have a clue what life is like in Brunei so I think it's time you let it go.

Let it go? Why, because your arguments make less sense by the minute?

No. Because you honestly have no understanding of what it is youre talking about. Let me break it down into lame mans terms:

The sultan rules his country

He makes laws

Only worthwhile laws get enforced

Political freedom is non existent though no one will stop you from saying or thinking what you want.

Sultan provides for his people such that they enjoy one of the most opulent lifestyles on the planet.

People are free to do as they wish so long as they dont attempt to overthrow the government.

How is this free you ask? Because it only places limits on the subversion of covert groups. If you don't think it goes on in America, you are living in a fantasy world. It may seem as though brunei is a repressive father state. But until you go and actually see what it is like, you have no place arguing Bruneian affairs with me. Everything is not always as it seems. Don't judge a book by it's cover, etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
America now is not as free as it was in the past.
However, it is much freer now than it will be in the future.

LOL! Wow. Confucious says. I'm going to steal that quote for my AIM away message.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
You gotta love America for the diversity. You can find any ethnic culture/enclave in the world here. That's one of its greatest attributes. The strength of the many make it what it is. I remember getting lost in New York's China Town once - and I swear, I felt like I was in China. It was down at the fish market and I was the only white person in a crush of Chinese. Then there's Little Italy nearby.

Little Havana in Miami, the barrios in the southwest, China town in Seattle, L.A. and San Fran.. I'm leaving out so much. You find the real thing in every single big city in this country. So, anyone can feel at home here. Everyone is welcome - as long as they come legally.

And then there's the fact that you can find just about every topography in the world here. Cold climate, hot climate, hot & steamy, Caribbean, desert, mountains, beach, vast expanses.... You name we got it. I LOVE that. And the foods.. SO MUCH FOOD!

We are blessed with an abundance of everything.

And one more thing I love about this country - which I experienced in the Gulf War was - when Americans are truly being threatened, we step up, kick ass and take names. Forget about whats going on right now in the mid-east - when its the right thing to do, we're ready. One of my favorite sayings is THESE COLORS DON'T RUN.

One more thing: I was born in Washington state and moved to South CArolina when I was a kid. I love it down south. I've never had any desire to move back out west. It's sunny and warm and laid back. The beaches rock. The country is more beautiful than I can describe. I have to say, I love the "Sandlappers" b/c they are some of the most headstrong rabble rousin' folks in the country. South carolinians for anyone who doesn't know, were the first state in the Union to give the Federal government the big finger - seceding from the Union - which led to the civil war. You don't mess with these folks and I LOVE it. That is INDEPENDENCE. And they're a fiercely independent bunch of folks. Hell yeah. I may not have been born there, but my heart and soul definitely is there.

Smilin' faces, beautiful places.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Give me one single attribute the United States has over its competitors that is not warfare oriented and I will refute it. You are living in an absolute dream world if you belive the United States is the most free nation on the planet.

I can throw many points your way on why its freer.

1. You can easily live oputside the govornment, and not be accounted for in the US. You dont ever have to exist within the system, the possibilities of leading alertantive lifestyles here out of the mainstream are endless.

You can form, create, or join any political party. We have communists, and yes, we have an American Nazi party. Try doing that in germany.

We have the right for citizens to bear arms. In otherwords, we dont give the state total power and control over weapons. Thats why America cannot be called a police state, we have arms for the citizens. Something done in only one other country i can think of : Switzerland. The symbolism of the weapon is very old and deep.

before, only nobles and royalty had weapons and arms, peasants had little or nothing. We took the sole power of the state and spread it out to the civilians. Now everyone can hold that personal power that once was the sole domain of leaders.

We have privatized everything. The fact that we dont have govornment owned this and that is great. private citizens own and operate most of our media, colelges, ect.

I love the privatized healthcare system. After carefully examining Britains socialized medicine, I think to myself, god bless America, thank the gods we dont have that nightmare. Ill tell you why.

My boyfriends mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. It took her 3 weeks just to get into a doctor to get diaggnosed. Now, its been two months since she was diagnosed, shes still waiting for an appointment just to figure out what kind of treatment they are gonna give her. by the time they figure this out, the poor woman will worsen and probably need new and harder treatments.

my mother, on the other hand, also has lung disease. She was homeless for a while, then got very sick. She was admitted to the hospital. She got excellent care. During her stay in the hospital, they set her up with university doctors, at the UW, which is a great medical school. She gets appointments weekly, and doesnt pay for it. During a visit, she had her doctor examine her female parts. She discovered cancer. Her doctor set up an appointment immediately with the schools cancer clinic to have them biopsied and removed the very next week. ONE WEEK. And she pays for nothing, she currently is getting cared for by the state welfare system.

ONE WEKK and shes getting her cancer treated. In britian, my boyfriends sweet mother is STILL WAITING AFTER # GODDAMN MONTHS!!!!!!

Thank the gods we dont have socialized medicine. If this is your utopia, you can keep it.

And, I too have been admitted to emergency rooms with no insurance for kidney stones. This was when I lived in california. They have social medicine there, and I ended up waiting for 3 weeks just to get an appointment to have them examined. Thankfully, my granny had medical insurance, and her docotor, who was very kind, saw me for free and treated them.

So dont bitch about our healthcare system.....after Ive seen glorious socialized medicine, well, lol.........you can have that #

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yes, I agree with regards to our medical system. You get what you pay for, really. After having to deal with the Army's medical care, I'm all for the civilian system being private. And the doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals deserve every dime they make. The training they go through is intense and the hours they work, by and large, are long.

There's nothing worse than having to wait for medical treatment. Especially when its possibly life and death.

I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's mom, Skadi. You'll just havta marry that guy and bring mom over here!

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Born and raised in America and have lived overseas for extended periods and travelled extensively and I have to agree USA is the best country in the world.

Got to tell you at this point Australia is running a really tight second.

Japan would be third.

Anyhoo, my favorite things about America in no particular order are:

1) Even with all the paranoia still being able to just jump in your car and drive cross country. Anywhere you wanna go baby and we gots lots of places to go.

2) Grand Canyon.

3) Vegas and N'orleans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) Chapelle's Show, South Park, The Simpsons.

5) The freedom to choose to do nothing.

6) The right to own firearms.

Spiderj

new topics
top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join