It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do You Love About the USA?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
the U.S. is not a democracy, it is a Republic....

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
to the Republic for which it stands....

I was thinking last night about the very name America. It sounds like strength and beauty. Two things America definitely posesses - from sea to shining sea.

Another thing I love is the national anthem. When we were flying home from the Gulf war, they played the super bowl's half-time show for us (it was a salute to the troops). Whitney Houston sang the most beautiful rendition of it I've ever heard. It took everything I had not to let tears fall out of my eyes for joy. (What a wuss!:lol
Very moving.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I'll raise my glass in toast to all the comments above.

I forgot to mention I love America espeshly for Marlboros, Bud Light and Waffle House: Best damn steak and eggs in the world!
24/7, 365! Where else can ya get that? Nowhur!

I'm out.

lol I worked at the Waffle House as a cook while in High School

YOU ARE THA MAN!

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Personally, I train in the martial arts as a workout and because I love doing it. It's nice to finally find a way to work out besides running that I enjoy!

What style are you practicing? I'm still practicing Tae Kwon Do. It's not too stiff like Karate, and not too cartoonish, like Kung Fu. The only downside is that grappling isn't emphasized, and 90% of fights end up on the ground. But I do love the forms, and the exactness of posture.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

What style are you practicing?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We already have a good thread on that

[Edited on 28-1-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq

Personally, I train in the martial arts as a workout and because I love doing it. It's nice to finally find a way to work out besides running that I enjoy!

What style are you practicing? I'm still practicing Tae Kwon Do. It's not too stiff like Karate, and not too cartoonish, like Kung Fu. The only downside is that grappling isn't emphasized, and 90% of fights end up on the ground. But I do love the forms, and the exactness of posture.

I studied Tae Kwon Do. It's great. I love the discipline and if practiced correctly can be devastating. It's about balance and momentum. The other thing I love about it is the balance between body, mind and soul. All of that works together making everything else in your life better.

Another thing to love about America. You can go down one street and take Judo, Kung Foo, Tae Kwon Do, Tae Chi, Yoga, YMCA, Gold's Gym, Bally's... whatever thing in the world you're into, it's here imported from every corner of the globe. Awesome.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well, I think it's time for this thread to resurface again. I've been reading a lot about why America is the "great Satan", an evil country, why it needs to collapse, how America is the worst country in the world, etc.

Name one country with more freedoms then the US has, which is more prosperous, and has as much compassion for the rest of the world. Name one country in the world whose citizens give more to charities to help the less fortunate throughout the world. Then, please, move there.

TPL

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Thanks for sharing, ATS! It's interesting to hear all the different viewpoints.

To the people outside the US:

The reason America seems so ferocious out there with regard to Osama and other enemies (real or percieved) is because Americans LOVE this country and all the freedoms we enjoy. It is NOT because we do not care or like other countries. Of course we like other countries! We are made up of all countries and ALL Americans from every background would do just about anything to protect this way of life. Forget about this administration - the people of this country are peace loving - until they are attacked.

I bitch about America all the time, but it is not really America that I have a problem with; it is the administration and the media.

It the same feeling here in Britain, we generally admire/feel slightly jealous of Americas success, its just the guys at the top we despise.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Name one country with more freedoms then the US has, which is more prosperous, and has as much compassion for the rest of the world. Name one country in the world whose citizens give more to charities to help the less fortunate throughout the world. Then, please, move there.

I completely agree.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
...her heritage. I thoroughly despise what we have become, and what the majority of Americans are permitting her to continue to be, i.e. a pseudo-democratic, imperialist, plutocratically-directed dictatorship which bullies every country that does not share our vision of a new world order.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RAAFY

Well, I guess that means we're better shots

Also, it goes to show you that our gangs are better then yours

well actually it means that America has the worst gun control laws in the western world...and it sounds like your proud of this???Why..its not good

Says who, you? Do you see Americans complaining about this?
Gun control is against our constitution. We have guns because thats what the PEOPLE want.

For your information, over 100,000 people in America are stabbed to death. U wanna outlaw sharp objects?

over 100,000 people are killed by doctors errors. U wanna outlaw doctors?

We are very proud of the fact we dont have gun control laws, that we dont prevent people from owning them or defending themselves. 35,000 people in a nation of over 300 million is pretty good. So, you can have your gun paranoia, were quite content to keep our guns. Id be mroe worried about all those gov cameras watching you.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It's great that we can all come to a place like ATS (for now anyway) and say whatever we want to say without fear of getting picked up by the STASI. FREEDOM of SPEECH is so profound, there are no words to convey the importance.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive everyone. It's important to also keep in mind the good points as well as the bad.

Americans are also hella-generous. I've seen so many acts of kindness towards even strangers, it's unbelievable. I wish people all over the world could see that aspect of our being. I suppose correcting our atrocious foreign policy would be the best start.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My Turn. What do I love about America?

Guns. GUNS!!!!!!!!!!!! They are everywhere!!!!!!! We got em baby, and they aint goin nowhere! I love the freedom to bear arms that I am able to rely on myself for my own protection instead of surrendering it to the souless state.
I love the wide open untouched realms of America, from the snowfields of Alaska to the deserts of Phoenix. Wide open areas with not another human soul to see. Away from the oppresive cities, where my neighbor is a timberwolf or coyote. Forests, mountains, streams, so far away......the awesome, lonely beauty of it. The wildness. The ability not to be civilized, and run to the wild. The freedom to shed civilization behind. The freedom to move wherever I please. The freedom to vanish completely without the state breathing down my neck.
I love the way America smells (except Tacoma). I walk outside and my nose is assaulted by the fresh green aroma of cedars, hemlocks, pine, flowers. the ocean, the Pacific Ocean. The pacific coast. God, its beautiful! A chunk of heaven fell to earth, and they named it Oregon.
I love the midwest. I love the farmers, the clean, proper, hard working farmers feeding America and thier families. I love the endless cornefields and running through them and eating corn right off the stalk and no one caring if i do. I love the rustbelt.
I love the rowdy unrepentant uncouthness of the American people. I love the pursuit of self sufficency and self reliance. The less govornment is good govornment mentality. The desire of people to live thoer lives free of interference.
I love the variety here. Wierd people, normal people. Foreign people, homegrown people. Big houses, clean water, and a nation religion of hygiene and fastidious cleanliness. Variety of TV. Even though I hate TV, the fact that people have so many different views and such to watch listen too, whatever u call entertainment, youll find it here somewhere.

I love rock n roll. Blues, old school soul. Country western and Bluegrass. Bars everywhere. Bikers. Hillbillies. rednecks. Ganstas. Stoners. Large uninhabited places to grow large quantities of pot.

Chruches on every cirner right next to adult book stores. Mosques, pagan circles.

Roadrage and nightmare traffic. The I-5 corridor. Mt Rainier. Canadian drivers coming over for cheap gas. Gorgeous men in San Diego. Communists in berkely.

An evil govornment trying to take over, and a popualtion and land thats entirely too chaotic and varied for anyone to ever dream of truly ruling it all.

Thats why I love America

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
ripley gorge....almost nobody knows about ripley gorge!!!
football
any mountain ranges
any desert
the greatful dead
jim morrison
Frank lloyd wright
Phish concerts
Memories of my grandmas apple pies
any state park
alleghany state park
Fishing
The great outdoors
disc golf
any alternative stores or health food stores
my backyard
my porch
my cats
my dogs
my parents
everybody
the smell after a rain storm that brings back lost memories that you cant quite place..........

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
with the greatest of respect , the best view of America is going to come from the thousands of people [like myself] who emigrate here every year .
to those outside the U.S i'd say don't believe what you're told ,come here [with an open mind ] and see for yourself .
Americans are some of the most honourable ,friendly ,polite,and generous people you could wish to meet .
They aren't all gun nuts , far from it , in fact i've not met that many gun owners out here [i'm in a suburb of chicago].
The few i have met are a varied bunch ,some hunt , some are enthusiasts and a few older people keep them at home for protection .
I'd say i feel alot safer here then i have ever felt in England , i'd surmise that the ownership of guns makes people less prone to the stupid violence that dogged my life in London [who wants to start a fight in a country where anyone you start on could go to thier truck come back with a piece and blow your head off]
Everyone here calls everyone sir or maam , they are so polite as to sound archaic at times . That is a good thing !
wages here are higher , costs of living lower ,if you work over 40 hours they have to pay you time and a half ....i could go on .
i think the point is that before i came here i had a typical european semi racist veiw of America ,it isn't the hollywood hills and crack city they are very small parts ,the majority of americans are doing very nicely thank you .. with working conditions even the french union man would admire .
they aren't all jingoistic , they are very critical of thier leaders . there is however a big political difference between here and the U.K. here you can criticise ,protest ,disagree and still call yourself a patriot [some here would argue that that is a patriotic duty!!]
If someone called themselves a patriot in England you'd start thinking nazi skinhead ,even if that isn't always true .
America can't be perfect ,but i'm yet to find a disadvantage after a year to quote cohen "it has the machinery to change"and thats what still makes it great .

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
in the U.S, u can do a lot of things u cant do in other countries.
it's also really really really easy to get rich quick here

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I plan to. England. With my husband, where I will be able to get free medical care if I happen to need it. I don't think of it as particularly compassionate to allow vast numbers of people to suffer pain and die simply because they have no money for a doctor. Or dentist for that matter.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
I plan to. England. With my husband, where I will be able to get free medical care if I happen to need it. I don't think of it as particularly compassionate to allow vast numbers of people to suffer pain and die simply because they have no money for a doctor. Or dentist for that matter.

That's not the case here in America, either. Hospital ERs are required to treat you even if you have no insurance/money. And you don't have to pay the bill. And you kind of ignored EDIT: (most of the) points I made...

[Edited on 4-20-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm

uhm excuse me i lived in england for 33 years , if you think it's better there then here good luck ,free healthcare ? have you seen it yet ?
there's no such thing as free healthcare , you pay for it one way or the other .
hope you also enjoy the poor wages , crap overpriced housing ,and stepping over the homeless !!!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The problem with homicides in america could literally be cut in half if they would end the senseless drug war...

its not the guns that are the problems but the screwed up legislation that promotes crack heads to shoot people for ten dollars or sometimes they have nothing in there pocket....crack heads killed my bosses daughter for nothing in a motel ....she was at the front desk and when she went to grab the phone they just shot her dead

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join