It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do You Love About the USA?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Rather than discussing all that's wrong with America, I thought I'd start the day off on a positive note. What I want to know is what is it that you most love about the United States?

It's sad that so many people around the world now have such a negative view of America. This is a country full of good people from CAlifornia to Maine, from Washington state to Key West and everywhere in between. Despite the things that are wrong, I am continually reminded, through the kindness and good-will of friends and strangers alike, that there is much still to be thankful for across this great land.

I could write endlessly about what I am thankful for here. There's just so much. Like freedom of movement. If I have the money, I can go anywhere from coast to coast without any hassle. Don't have to answer to anyone, but to follow the laws.

I'm thankful for the Carolina Panthers and Coach John Fox.
Those guys rock! They have played so well this season and through the playoffs, it's amazing. It's because we have a great coach and a great bunch of guys who are really workin it for their coach and fans. Even if they don't win the Super Bowl, that's ok. They've played their tails off, blowing all of our minds so far. They're already champions to the Carolinas. Thank God for the Cardiac Cats!

I'm thankful for our men and women in uniform. God bless 'em. They are heroes and are having to endure the worst hardships because of the current situation. They don't ask for it. They only answer the call. I pray for them every single day and my heart will be heavy until every last one of them is out of Iraq and Afghanistan and home safe.

I'm thankful for what makes this country great: That is it made up of people from every country in the world. America is made up of every race, color and creed. It's the diversity that makes it so special and fun to be a part of.

I honestly believe that Martin Luther King's dream has been achieved. (not that there isn't still racism, there will unfortunately always be some of that. It's a human condition.) But, here in America, if you have the talent and ambition, you can go as far as you want to go, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation... It's a beautiful thing.

I could go on all day, but I won't. I'm just curious what you all love about the United States.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think you pretty much summed it up

I love just being here man....

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
CREDIT!
Running water with hot and cold options.
Electricity whenever you want it (exception Blackout of 2003).
Newspaper Stands on almost every block
Malls
Television with soooo many channels

But mostly ....I LOVE THE DIVERSITY OF IT ALL(people, landscape, foods, everything).

(i almost sound like alien saying those things
)

[Edited on 1-27-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Me too, NetStorm!

I forgot to say, I was so blown away by the outpouring of love after 9-11. I will never forget how our citizens rallied from all over the country in support of the people who live and work in Manhattan. So many people from all over the country put their lives on hold to travel to NYC to be a part of the rescue effort and to help feed people. I still get emotional when I think about that. It's overwhelming. I wish the people of the world knew just how HUGE the hearts of Americans are! Americans will do anything and everything to help those in need, whether they know 'em or not. It's amazing.

Then, I was again pleasantly astounded, relieved and thankful when after the big blackout last summer, everyone in NYC was so cool and good to each other. There could have been anarchy. There could have been rampant crime. But there wasn't. At least nowhere near what there could've been.

NEW YORK: You people ROCK!!

Thanks for showing our country and the world how to take it all in stride and thanks for showing us all how to get through the storm!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Man, I jumped on this morning, and everyone is slamming the US because it is such an evil empire. Both of those terms don't apply, by the way. (We're not evil, and we are not taking over the world.)

Anyway, what do I love about the US? I only have about 10 minutes before I have to leave for work, so I might have to continue this when I get in.

I love the fact that we began the ending to all slavery in the civilized world through Abe Lincoln's precious words.

I love the fact that people like Martin Luther King jr. can do what he did, and not be arrested. (For those of you who didn't know, MLK ALWAYS got the proper permits, etc. so none of his marches were illegal.) To demonstrate peacfully, and change a country.

I love the fact that in the US, the whole country can be revolutionized through peaceful demonstrations, such as MLK.

I love the fact that we were the first nation on the face of the planet to have a complete change in government, one leader replacing another who did not want to step down, without any violence. A peaceful transition of power. We were first to do it, and continue to do so today.

I love the fact that America has such a rich history despite it only being 200 years old.

I love the fact that America has gone from a piddling few colonies fighting by the skin of their teeth for independance to the world's only superpower in a mere 200 years.

I love the fact that America's culture has infiltrated all countries throughout the world, not because it's forced on them, but because they want to make it part of their own culture (except France
)

I love the fact that you don't have to be afraid when you get the government's attention, such as by reporting a crime or filing a lawsuit as you do in other countries sometimes. Here, in the US, the government can't do a background check on you for reporting a crime and then arrest you for something you did.

I love that you're presumed innocent until you're proven guilty. A Russian friend of mine told me it's the opposite in Russia, and as a result, most of the time, when you're accused, you're hosed, because you have to create a case the shows beyond a shadow of doubt that you're innocent. From a prison cell.

I don't love the fact that I have to go to work. I'll continue this later.

[Edited on 1-27-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Awesome posts!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Can't really answer the post but I will agree with a previoous comment.

Given the media's bias and Hollywoods portrayal of America as a dangerous, "don't stand in one place too long or you'll be shot, gung-ho place, I found that the news stories coming out (and from friends in the US) regarding the good feelings and intentions of random strangers during the blackout was really quite heart-warming.

Peace to all is my way - and the stories made me feel good.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Thank You for this post I think that it needs to be made. There is alot of USA bashing taking place on this board and abroad but I can understand it because I despise the New York Yankee's. The Yankee's are always in the World Series it seems like and they have the most money and the best players. I have no other reason not to like them other than they win. Its the same way with alot of people and the USA. The USA just seems to win all the time.

I love where I live because of all my freedoms. I can drive 200 miles in any direction and end up in completly different landscape. I can live my life as I see fit within the laws and be perfectly fine.

Sure our government makes some pretty crappy decisions but what countries government is not corrupt? The people that live here for the most part are great and kind and caring.

IMO its the best place on earth to live. I am happy where I am at and I am sorry that our government may piss a few people off.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Right now with all that's going on in the Mid-East, I'm sure it's easy for people outside the U.S. to think badly of us. I hope they don't though. The American people are not the same as our current government, per se. Most of the people here just want to live their lives in peace, to work hard and provide for their families, and to enjoy what little time off they can. Most the people in the U.S. love peace and don't want war.

After going to Desert Storm there were some things I swore I'd never forget.

I swore: I would never again complain about doing laundry. (over there we had to do every bit of it by hand - if we even had a chance)

Thank God for indoor plumbing!!!

Thank God for central air and heating!!!

Thank God for clean water!!!

Thank God for ALL the abundance of food!!!

Thank God for the myriad choices we have!!

Thank God for warm clothes!!

The list is never ending......................

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Great point about the diversity of climate and region. That's so true. Man, we got just about every country in the world topographically speaking. It's amazing! If you're from somewhere other than the U.S. you gotta see it! I've driven from coast to coast and everywhere in between. It truly is amazing to see. You got deserts, you got caribbean, you got corn fields as far as the eye can see, you got mountains that stretch to the sky, you have valleys that are breathtaking. We have little Italy, china town, little Havana... DIVERSITY!! You name it, we got it.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

The diversity of the personalities within,...and the freedom to express them !!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm grateful that I can be raised in a poor family with no father around, be given the opportunity to raise above that by serving the country for 4 yrs and afterward excelling academically, and getting a job nice enough to then put my mom through nursing school.

It is a land of opportunity, but you have to choose to take the opportunity.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
I'm grateful that I can be raised in a poor family with no father around, be given the opportunity to raise above that by serving the country for 4 yrs and afterward excelling academically, and getting a job nice enough to then put my mom through nursing school.

It is a land of opportunity, but you have to choose to take the opportunity.

You and I are very much alike. My dad died when I was five. After quitting college the first time around, I used the military to get a wealth of experience and education. I then got out and excelled in college. I agree, though, if you're willing to work, you do what ever it is you wanna do.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
FREEDOM! Pure and Simple. Our most important resource is our people. Each and every one of us is a member of the body of the United States Of America. Some are stronger than others while some are more vital than others. Each one contributes to the whole system. Even someone who you think does not.
That is what makes us strong!
While we are not a utopia we have come a long way in a very short time.
To those who are against us for whatever reason I pray that they be blessed to see the truth. There is much that is going to happen in the near future and people will need to see beyond the facade. We are the number one reason why Christianity is being brought to the four corners of the Earth. Not everyone is Christian and that's OK because it is their choice. Another great Reason why the USA is AOK!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
You know, I tried to say the same stuff being said in this thread once, and was told that either I was
"either , you are part of the govt or a sheep in search of his shepard... come on..."

So it's good to see that there are a few people here that agree with what EastCoastKid posted

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Freedom to choose when to go to bed or get out of bed.
Freedom to choose what I'll wear today
Freedom to choose what to have for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Freedom to choose where to work and what I'll do for a living

Freedom to choose where I'll live

Freedom to choose the car that I want to drive.

Freedom to choose where to send my kids to school.

Freedom to choose what church to go to and what religion to believe in.

Freedom to go anyplace in the USA that I want.

Freedom to choose what programs to watch on TV and music to listen to.

Freedom to have my opinions and express them.

Freedom to Choose those in power who will "run" the US.

I have so many more that I could list.. but you get the idea.

Freedom to come to ATS and explore, learn and share.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Reeses Nutrageous!

And CNN

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Like it or not, America is the most talented and advanced country in the world.

I love the US for their entertainment and culture

I love the US because it is so interesting.

I love American cities, some of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I love American technology, especially their military technology. (even though being used for wrong reasons)

I love American Sports! Best athletes in the world come from America!

I LOVE AMERICA PERIOD
JUST REALLY DESPISE THE GOVERNMENT

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing, ATS! It's interesting to hear all the different viewpoints.

To the people outside the US:

The reason America seems so ferocious out there with regard to Osama and other enemies (real or percieved) is because Americans LOVE this country and all the freedoms we enjoy. It is NOT because we do not care or like other countries. Of course we like other countries! We are made up of all countries and ALL Americans from every background would do just about anything to protect this way of life. Forget about this administration - the people of this country are peace loving - until they are attacked. It's like that japanese Admiral said when he loosed his kamikazes on Pearl Harbor:
"I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant."

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Thanks for sharing, ATS! It's interesting to hear all the different viewpoints.

To the people outside the US:

The reason America seems so ferocious out there with regard to Osama and other enemies (real or percieved) is because Americans LOVE this country and all the freedoms we enjoy. It is NOT because we do not care or like other countries. Of course we like other countries! We are made up of all countries and ALL Americans from every background would do just about anything to protect this way of life. Forget about this administration - the people of this country are peace loving - until they are attacked.

I bitch about America all the time, but it is not really America that I have a problem with; it is the administration and the media.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join