It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where have all the Euro's gone....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I have not been able to find any substantiating links on this as of yet,..

Iraq was selling oil for Euro Bills almost exclusively since about 2000. This amounts to Billions of Euro's !!!

Much of the income from this oil was put in safe storage in the 'oil for food' program setup after the first gulf war.

Since the end of the second middle east war, it has been reported that billions of US currency has been recovered in cash but about 150 million in Euro's have been discovered.

I know that the Euro's are still in the bank so to speak, with a French organization, and has been appreciating greatly with interest in comparison to USD holdings.

Now my question is this.

As the control is returned to the Iraqi people, are the Euro's going to be returned to the Iraqi peoples and gov, or are they going to be converted to USD prior to re-distribution.

And if they are converted who will do the exchange.

The dollar has fallen considerably in value since the start of the war, and the Euro has appreciated greatly in the same time period.

My suspicions are that the US will exchange the Euro's via and only allow the USD to be returned to the new Iraqi government when they become more stable.

This will probubly happen at an 'old' inflated exchange rate that is not tied to market conditions, or if at the market rate, where will the interest profits go? Additionally I suspect that this would be a great way for the USA to 'hedge' against the currency exchange rate, and better prepare themselves for buying oil in Euro's with currency obtained at a greatly reduced cost, if any.

After doing some googling, I have yet to find any references to the thoughts above..

Anyone have thoughts on this , or links I have yet to discover?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
hmmm...

Interesting. Think I'll look into this.

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Basically I am suggesting the 'aquasition' of euro's by the US at considerably less than the market rate, to stockpile in the event oil producers switch to the euro-petro-dollar. This would at least temporarily provide additional profit or 'cost reduction', and remove the exchange risk that would exist otherwise.

Saudi has considered accepting only gold for oil, as the recent drop in the US dollar exchange rate translates into almost a 50% less actual revenue per barrel for the Saudi distributor.

[Edited on 28-1-2004 by smirkley]

join