It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Would The World Elect For President of USA ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

Well, we had a nutter of a prime minister who totally divided the country. Why? Because she was beating up all men. Hillary will do the same, but you are in an unusual position where your first lady prez would have a man who knew the job behind her. Ladies, this is no sexism, the institutions, hundreds of years old, were designed by men for men. Any woman would have a field day in charge, and Margaret Thatcher though by the end of it universally hated, was also deeply respected and Hillary with a husband could do one better, methinks, coz he'll be able to chill her out. Assuming you do want a female Prez one day.......

“Almost thou has persuaded me” Mr Redled. From KJV, Acts 26:28, Agrippa speaking to St. Paul. Lifted out of context for sure, but yet, it conveys my feelings about your hypothesis. No doubt women are foreign to the institutions of governance. Well, at least NEW to it. I believe Benjamin Disraeli was new to the post of prime minister as compared to his nemesis William Gladstone. A Conservative then, more like a Whig (modern Democrats), whereas the Gladstone Liberals were more like Reagan Republicans. Disraeli advocated a strong central government capable of regulating business versus Gladstone who advocated a weak central government either not willing or incapable of regulating business. I am of course, a strong central government advocate.

Without a doubt having Bill Clinton in the background will give Hillary - I’ll vote for her - a ‘leg up’ on Mrs. Thatcher who nevertheless managed to acquire the accolade “Iron Lady” for her staunch anti-Soviet foreign policy statements. Although her supporters as well as those of Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul 2 all claim their champion mostly defeated the USSR singlehandedly, us older types know it was Winston Churchill and Harry Truman that began to wage the Western resistance to the machinations of the USSR. And while I’m on that detour, I always offer my gratitude to Michael Gorbachev for his dedication to world peace as the USSR slowly expired. RR, Thatcher and JP2 were there at the finish. But the Cold War is dated from 1946 to 1991. About 45 years of constancy by the West. Not just a few guffaws or Hail Marys in 1989.

The American system of governance differs sharply from the British parliamentary system. There - as I understand it - you combine the legislative and executive authority into one House of Commons. (I know about the House of Lords but I regard it as ornamental). Further, you have the weekly Question Hour the Prime Minister is subjected to which tends to keep him or her under close rein. We have just the opposite here, the “executive privilege” which is undefined but basically allows an executive under fire as in Nixon’s case, to claim what amounts to a separation of powers defense. To maintain our three co-equal branch system, the judiciary limits the range of inquiry the legislative branch can make of the executive branch. Oversight, yes, dabbling, no.

America had a weak executive after George Washington and John Adams, with a brief interlude under Abraham Lincoln. Although Theodore Roosevelt wanted to be a strong executive, he was basically thwarted by the Congress although he proposed many of the social reforms that had to wait for his cousin Franklin and the early 1930's New Deal to become law. The clout of the American LEFT was gone by the 1938 election which saw a return to “business as usual.” It was World War 2 that saw the beginning of the imperial presidency. After 1945, only Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter were not in that mold. Remember this. The presidency has a distinct advantage - it speaks with one voice, Congress speaks with 535 voices. A cacophony of sound?

[edit on 12/20/2007 by donwhite]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I put my vote for Hillary Clinton. I think she would make the better president. She has a lot of knowledge, skill and experience behind her.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by yankeerose
PALESTINIAN TERRITORY OCCUPIED

Oh brother.

Originally posted by RRconservative
Terrorists worldwide would definately vote for Mrs. Bill Clinton. They know a weak United States works in their favor.

You are sooooooooo right. The world wants whoever is the WORST for America. The person who would weaken it the most. Obama is the worst. Hillary is a close second. (Obamas 'economic plan' would destroy us - and Hillarys comment record - before she ran for POTUS - shows she hates the military)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join