It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Cryptozoology ever found anything, really?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Just a dumb question, but since there are some avid crypto researchers in the world that make their living from it....has cryptozoology ever really found any fabled animals? I mean, every time I talk about this someone throw out the celocanth fossil fish, but that wasn't found through any means of cryptozoology at all. No one was -looking- for it.

There are thousands of unidentified species yet to be discovered, with (sometimes) hundreds a month. But they are found through the normal expeditions, etc. Nothing "crypto" about their discovery.

Has the actual study of cryptozoology yielded anything as a direct result of legitimate research and organized study? Walking through the woods and finding an insect no one has identified, or having a village give you a carcass of a small furry, yet unidentified rodent does not smack of something I would consider to be legitimate cryptozoology to me.

I don't know if my point here is coming across, but if you get what I mean, comment away.......

cj6

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm sure there have been some discoveries, though I doubt anyone really cares what they are unless it's Bigfoot or Nessie!

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wasn't the Giant Panda once considered a cryptid?

Ah... here's the TinWiki link...

Link

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
First thing I can think of is the giant squid. It was a myth for decades, but has since been proven to be real. Also, there were a few other sea creatures who were thought to be extinct but were discovered in recent times.

cj6

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
LOL how big is this Giant Panda?!

And the Giant Squid was a total disappointment, there's nothing giant about it!

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Don't know about the panda, but I didn't think about the giant squid. Good call. Any others anyone can think of?

And yeah, the giant squid did turn out to be rather disappointing, lol. And don't get me started on that overstuffed teddy bear they call a giant panda.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
How about the mountian gorillia?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
you have

giant squid

giant panda

Coelacanth

lung fish

frilled shark

anaconda
(people have stated about giant ones but really large ones exist. recently there was a case about a human being found in one)

thats about all i can think of at the moment.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Very few, if any, of those animals were discovered by "cryptozoologists" though. They were discovered through the "mainstream" sciences. Gotta be careful unless we start labelling every new animal disocvered a cryptid.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well, lets see. There was a report of a strange ape in California so a cowboy and his buddy got on their horses and rode over to Sandy Creek. There they got some amazing footage of one of the creatures. I believe it is known as the Patterson film and 40 years later we're all still scratching our bums and arguing over it.

I don't know if it's real footage or not, but I've seen a Bigfoot with my own eyes so I know they are real.

I'll see if I can think of any more examples.

wupy

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Very few, if any, of those animals were discovered by "cryptozoologists" though. They were discovered through the "mainstream" sciences. Gotta be careful unless we start labelling every new animal disocvered a cryptid.

good point. I'd argue not one creature mentioned (save BF obviously) so far is a true cryptid, not even close really

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
We really don't need to have proof to keep searching.. The UFO/Aliens forums are going strong, and well, bleep bleep as Sputnik said..

Some day we *might* find something major, but untill we do that, we have to rely on normal science. At least with the cryptids forums, we also get good discussions as to the expansions of some species, which some of us find very interesting. On top of that, we also get good discussions about various mutation due to pollution and such.

Cryptozologi isnt just about finding new species!

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
My Opinion

I don't think it matters if crypto zoo people have any proof or are just making

things up, fabled animals are fun to talk about and whether they are fake or

real is moot in my opinion.

So there is nothing wrong with discussion even if you disagree with the other

persons point or opinion.

Most people know I have some pretty unpopular opinions but I don't care if

anyone reads them or not the cyrpto zoo dealy rocks and differing opinions

rock too.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
We'll see what the new History channel show finds..

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

no.

complete and utter ramblings so as
to not recieve any further "point" deductions and for your "respect" so
i'll ramble a bit more annnnnnnnndd done!

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Nacum
We'll see what the new History channel show finds..

what new history channel show? you know the name of it &/or the time slot it occupies?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Yes it's true that some cryptids have been discovered (such as giant squids). But they were not discovered by cryptozoologists- they were discovered by normal scientists. In other words cryptozoologists have never contributed anything to their own field- much less anything else.
edit on 29-3-2013 by neopersonageguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

how many times has there been a serious expidition for a cryptid and not just someone going into the bush yelling at everything they hear for entertainment purposes

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I think the crypto people are not really interested in the true biology and reason behind a story. They are interested in the mystery. And I it is a fun thing to talk and wonder about.

But I do not see any real merit to our collective knowledge through those people. If anything they muddy the intellectual waters so to speak, because quite a few people take those ramblings seriously and as fact.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Nightaudit because: spelling

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by neopersonageguy
Yes it's true that some cryptids have been discovered (such as giant squids). But they were not discovered by cryptozoologists- they were discovered by normal scientists. In other words cryptozoologists have never contributed anything to their own field- much less anything else.

That explains why their institution was closed in the 1980's. They really never found nothing, only wasted money.

The majority of cryptids were discovered either by explorer's or normal scientists. Cryptozoologists only theorize about these animals and search if their existence is possible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join