It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovery Launches at 11:38 EDT. Expects to Reach and Dock With ISS in 44 Hours!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Hello, housegroove,

I hope you're still here and reading all of this. Your questions were perfect, hope we answered them for you.

Respect

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Thank you for the response weedwhacker that is very interesting.

I enjoyed your response Zorgon,
and I would agree.

What do you mean weedwhacker when you say "the orbital period is about 90 minutes" what is the orbital period.

[edit on 11/15/07 by housegroove23]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This just in...

Another great image released from the Japanese Kayuga/Selene mission

jda.jaxa.jp...

[edit on 15-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
This is difficult to put into words. Launch from Canaveral timed to place Discovery in proper orbit height, but not to hit the ISS and cause an accident...

Then, the delicate task of catching up with a moving target, i.e., the ISS. How? That takes us back to my first question about orbital mechanics. NO Star Trek technology, just good old fashioned Newton math. I can't do calculus, but I know Newton invented it. And he is yet to be proven wrong...

Respect

This is exactly correct. I fail to see why this is so hard for people to believe...

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by housegroove23

Hello groove...

You asked me about 'orbital period'.

I know that depending on the distance above a body, an object in orbit will have a time to complete one revolution, hence I used the term 'period'.

The Earth orbits our Sun, we call that 'period' a 'year', or 365.25 days.

The Moon orbits the Earth, in about 28, give or take, days. (29?)

On a smaller scale a satellite or Shuttle or anything else we care to put up can orbit the Earth as long as it's high enough to a) not be affected by atmospheric friction to gradually slow its velocity and cause it to plunge down and burn up on re-entry or, b) ...see a...

However, if one wants to leave Earth's orbit, one must impart a velocity to one's spacecraft sufficient to exceed 'Escape Velocity'. Again, I'm not a mathmetician. I'll leave the exact science to the experts.

Hope this helps

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Hello, housegroove. The 'time' hacks referenced are Mission Time, as in, time from launch. Yes, the date shows month and day, that would be UTC, I think. (If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me).

The Shuttle and Shuttle Mission Control use MET (Mission Elapsed Time) - the time since launch. The ISS and ISS Mission Control use GMT. All ground coordinated operations are displayed in both to prevent confusion.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Um...Zorgon...may I interrupt here and answer grooves' question?

Ummmm NO actually

CST, since Mission Control is in Houston. I think that was more in the 60's than now, though.

CST,UTC, EST, GMT. MET

Who cares what you label it ... they took a nap after only 5 1/2 hours

Zorgon, have you never watched a launch? Do you know what they go through before even getting to walk and 'wave' at the press as they board the bus to the Pad, then ride up the gantry elevator, then go thru all of the checklists while they lay on their backs during the countdown??

So let me see if I have this straight...

After a hearty breakfast and farewell hugs from the family...

They walk and wave at the press...
RIDE (sitting I presume) on a bus...
RIDE up an elevator...
then LAY DOWN going over those checklists waiting for liftoff...

Switch one on.... check... switch two on.... check

Hmmmmm Yup I guess I was wrong... I can see how tired they must be after all that strenuous activity...

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say here?

Sure your saying the fittest people on the planet get tired easily and need their nap time

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Don't think so but it must make them whoosy... either that or all those checks are really tiring I mean after only 5 1/2 hours into space and they need to take a 7 hour nap? Man if I did that I would lose my job

Do you really think they just woke up, hopped in a shuttle, and flew to space? That's absurd.

By the time they launch, the astronauts have been awake and prepping for the launch for 12 hours. When was the last time you worked 17.5 hours straight?

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon!!!

What is this? It's obviously an artist's depiction. Do you think we are so stupid? I am insulted...

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Zorgon!!!
What is this? It's obviously an artist's depiction. Do you think we are so stupid? I am insulted...

Well then tell the Japanese to stop clowning around and show us the real stuff

And take some decaf you're way to stressed out here... don't shoot the messenger

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

This example proves my point...'nuf said.

Respect

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 1553B

Thank you, 1553B...well said.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Zorgon!!!

Well then tell the Japanese to stop clowning around and show us the real stuff

And take some decaf your way to stressed out here... don't shoot the messenger

Seems Zorgon was editing, referencing decaf...and he still doesn't know the difference between the word 'your' and the contraction 'you're'. Hmmm....

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   

RIDE up an elevator...

Hmmmmm Yup I guess I was wrong... I can see how tired they must be after all that strenuous activity...

You clearly have no idea how absurd you sound. You obviously don't know the first thing about anything involving spaceflight (yet you believe in anti-gravity shuttle and cloaking devices on secret space stations - the mind boggles...).

Stop getting your knowledge from movies like Armageddon and get a clue about how real spaceflight works - launching a space shuttle is just about the most complicated thing humans have ever done.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by 1553B]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Zorgon, the 'real stuff', as you put it, has been distributed already. The Japanese orbiter is sending HDTV pics right now. (On CNN already)

Moreover, the Selene (Kayuga) is in a Lunar polar orbit, so it will take some time for it to map the entire surface of the Moon. As you know, the Moon rotates on its axis once every 28 or 29 days...

This is real science, not made-up.

Only regret is, the resolution of the cameras cannot see objects as small as three metres...wish it were a better camera.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Zorgon, the 'real stuff', as you put it, has been distributed already. The Japanese orbiter is sending HDTV pics right now. (On CNN already)

Gee thanks for that info... its not like we have been following it in THIS thread since the launch..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That would be THIS HDTV? Hmmmm

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Thank You weedwhacker for taking your time to explain, I think I understand it now.
Its just a nice change of pace to have a good discussion rather than hearing a bunch of attacking and ridiculing.

And thank you 1553B for the clarification.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1553B
Stop getting your knowledge from movies

Actually the info in that reply came from weedwacker

launching a space shuttle is just about the most complicated thing humans have ever done.

I seriously doubt that

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Um...Zorgon...may I interrupt here and answer grooves' question?

Ummmm NO actually

CST, since Mission Control is in Houston. I think that was more in the 60's than now, though.

CST,UTC, EST, GMT. MET

Who cares what you label it ... they took a nap after only 5 1/2 hours

Zorgon, have you never watched a launch? Do you know what they go through before even getting to walk and 'wave' at the press as they board the bus to the Pad, then ride up the gantry elevator, then go thru all of the checklists while they lay on their backs during the countdown??

RIDE up an elevator...

Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say here?

Sure your saying the fittest people on the planet get tired easily and need their nap time

[edit on 15-11-2007 by zorgon] [/quote

Tip of the hat to 1553...for the MET reference...

(in case you've just joined us, 'MET' means 'Mission Elapsed Time', this is a constant that has been used for YEARS in the Space Program)...

I'm seeing a simularity in this Zorgon's post to things I've seen on YouTube...a haven, might I say, for morons. Unlike ATS, which attracts educated people.

Simularities include, but are not limited to: silly assertions, bad science, and, worst of all, horrible spelling and/or grammar.

Cheers, all. And, of course, respect.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

LOL Might want to read the T&C about long quotes and check your posts before tossing insults...

Ah well you boys have a good night... maybe you will be more level headed in the morning

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join