It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alzheimer's Memory Loss Faster Among Well-Educated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Having more years of formal education delays the memory loss linked to Alzheimer's disease, but once the condition begins to take hold, better-educated people decline more rapidly, researchers said on Monday.

Their study, published in the journal Neurology, tracked memory loss in a group of elderly people from New York City's Bronx borough before they were diagnosed with Alzheimer's or another form of old-age dementia.

Every year of education delayed the accelerated memory decline that precedes dementia by about 2-1/2 months, according to the researchers at Yeshiva University's Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York.

But once this memory loss began, the rate of decline unfolded 4 percent more quickly for each additional year of education, the researchers said.

Well now your kids have an excuse not to go to school.

I find this surprising because I always thought that exercising your brain was a way to offset dementia later in life. Now it seems that the more education you have can only increase the speed of Alzheimer's once it starts.

Hardly makes sense to me.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Yeah i dont really follow that logic either.....

The smarter you get the effects multiply Alzheimers? I too heard people say that exercising your brain can prevent Alzheimers or lessen the effects.

What is the definition of Formal Education anways? Like going to Harvard, or having an open mind? Having an open mind/higher intelligence allows you to be more susceptible to Alzheimers i'm guessing? Intriguing, but i aint gonna buy it

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Your right - the more you use your brain the less chance you have of the big 'A'. But those more educted don't have to learn continualy like those who really have to work at ballancing a checkbook... maybe that's the deal.

Also - alluminum - link to 'A'.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

I had heard of this a couple years ago. We only had a couple aluminum pots we used for cooking, but one large pot was used frequently for pasta, soups, stews, etc...

I hated to get rid of it, but it was tossed and replaced with a steel pot a bit larger. We don't use any aluminum in the kitchen anymore except for a Teflon coated fry pan.
But then I hear Teflon is no good for you for other reasons, what do you do ???

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

I had heard of this a couple years ago. We only had a couple aluminum pots we used for cooking, but one large pot was used frequently for pasta, soups, stews, etc...

I hated to get rid of it, but it was tossed and replaced with a steel pot a bit larger. We don't use any aluminum in the kitchen anymore except for a Teflon coated fry pan.
But then I hear Teflon is no good for you for other reasons, what do you do ???

Ceramic, glass and iron skillets are what I use now. I tell you though - I don't use foil, alluminum cookwear, drink out of soda/beer cans (drinking soda out of just 1 can in a day is WAAAYYYY more % alluminum thn the FDA deems safe. Yet we still have can beer and soda?!)
And underarm deorderant has alluminum as well as toothpaists.

I had hair samples sent in for test back in dec 06. My alluminum level was off the charts. I couldn't figure it out - for years I had been staying away from alluminum. Then I find out just a few weeks ago that porcilin fillings (album or something like that - the wite ones) have alluminum!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AngelaLadyS

Oh great, I just had a lot of dental work done.
I even had some of my metal fillings replaced with the white ones because of the mercury. Any new fillings put in were the white ones, and two reconstructions are the white ones.

I guess just being alive is a hazard to your health.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
reply to post by AngelaLadyS

Oh great, I just had a lot of dental work done.
I even had some of my metal fillings replaced with the white ones because of the mercury. Any new fillings put in were the white ones, and two reconstructions are the white ones.

I guess just being alive is a hazard to your health.

LOL! I did the sme thing.
They say that as soon as we're born we start dieing. I guess they have to blame it on something! (Not to forget the whol 'bee' thing. If we listen to the new scientific reports we'll all be dead in so many years anyway and won't have time to get the big 'A'.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don't think that education, intelligence has an influence on Alzheimer's, dementia or senility.

The operating factors in my opinion is genetics, drug and alcohol abuse, smoking and certain environmental/industrial toxins like benzene...

I'm not looking forward to the future!!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
there has been a few studies on the effects of medical marijuana on patients who had high likelyhood of developing alzheimers in addition to the reason they had been prescribed the cannabis. also, early stage alzheimer patients were administered the drug in the test.

im sure many of you have heard about the results by now, but this group has very, extremely strong scientific evidence through the scientific method that the active chemical in the cannabis, tetra-9, actually blocks the alzeimers "cells" from developing, takes their place or some such.

so an alzheimers vaccine for life would be a daily administration of it.

new topics

top topics

join