It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWYD: Money is now worthless.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Enjoy another star. And also NGC2736, Enginuity will go hand in hand with Hard Work.

There really is nothing else to trade with after present supplies run out. Except what the other guy insinuated. Remember your Mother! Sorry, I'm a hypocrite I know, but we must call each other to higher morals or we're no better than animals.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The best thing to have in a situation of crisis where mony is of no value, is your mind and hands. The best thing you can do is master a skill, like masonry, carptentry, electrician or agricultre. In a nation of lazy people that need to call in somebody when a light bulb goes out, you can be king of the hill.
Sheesh, I traded a large portion of my assets into Gold right after 9/11. I could sell now and make a boat load, but i decided to hold on to it, its gonna keep me confy.
Luckly I leearned some years ago a good dose of agriculture and carpentry.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Purified water would be something good to trade. Perhaps fresh vegetables and handmade clothing.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven

What Would You Do? Money is Now Worthless.

Zero? It is incredibly rare for any money to be worth . . . zero. Even the Iraqi dinar didn't go to zero. The German mark from the weimar republic never went to zero, even if it became laughably cheap. The Nazi reichsmark continued to trade for almost two years after the allies took Berlin. So, zero is kind of hard to believe. Even the Iraqi dinar didn't go to zero, and the US refused to underwrite it or accept it as payment. . . .

So what would make the dollar zero? collapse of the goverment? I'm pretty sure someone would set up a new government; Mexico or the UN or something. And odds are, they'd call in the old money for the new Amero. The exchange rate might be a 1000 to 1, but that still isn't zero. It always behooves the occupier to honor the old regimes currency and bonds, at least short term. Actually, paying your predecessor's debts is a good way to be seen as the legitimate government.

Actually, if you had bought old iraqi dinars back when they were 4000 to the dollar, and exchanged them for New Dinars at the rate of 1-to-1, they'd be worth about 1500 to the dollar on the streets of Baghdad today. More than a hundred percent profit in 4 years--Not bad!

You have to Barter for any form of trade. What will your provide? what would be the MAIN item you would be trading for?

I'll be running my own buy/sell/trade store, featuring my own stockpiles of bullion, guns, seeds, and survival foodstocks, plus the stuff out of my garden. I'd probably print my own currency until law and order came to town, in which case they'd probably buy me out at a decent price.

I will go first. Logically if the dollar crashes the police aren't going to be enforcing a lot of old school laws.

Funny, I expect the cops to be supplanted by bands of vigilantes who will redefine all our notions of "old school." Lots of hangings. Some gauntlent-running, that sort of thing.

I would immediately craft a functioning still and trade in my vehicle for supplies to create moonshine. Then I trade the moonshine for a faster better vehicle. (since it could POSSIBLY Still be illegal :w

I think that is an EXCELLENT plan, and I was considering an alcohol-fueled generator when I was logging on just a minute ago.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

so, your telling us at ATS that you will become a willing law breaker,

making moonshine is another way that others who consume he crud
either go blind or even die... so you can make an easy profit on the weaker element in a stressed society that has to resort to trade/barter.

imho... dispicable

while the social structure needs all the help it can get you are
advocating that social-moral & rampant, unethical enterprise are the way
to rebuild a social structure & a lawful society ??? huh ?
Anarchy breeds more lawlessness is the fly in your ointment...

TGIDLIT

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven
I would immediately craft a functioning still and trade in my vehicle for supplies to create moonshine.

I'd offer to trade my design skills for a share in your moonshine production business..

The plan would be to take your car and strip it down to components and build a wind-powered (or water-wheel powered if you are near a stream/river) DC electric generator to power the still using the wiring-looms, battery, propshaft and bearings, and blades made from the sheet metal body-work...

...interested?

[edit on 23-12-2007 by citizen smith]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Uhmmm firstly... It was meant to be humorous... It WAS in BTS... but the survivalists liked the idea, and thus, it was reassigned to a better fitting category.

Yes I would make moonshine (as my family had done for HUNDREDS of years before it was illegal, Some people call it homemade wine) If i had a low grade batch (which is determined by odor and coloration...) I would sell that as fuel.

You've never seen a car FLY til you pour a mason jar of moonshine in the tank

seriously though... Don't take offense... I'd be growing the whacky tobaccy too, just to keep the market cornered!

Coven

P.s. Citizen Smith, while I like the concept, I would have to check out the details... last thing Either of us would need in this scenario is for our design to be flawed, and the parts to correct it rare, or non-existent.

P.p.s to 'the dude' avatar (sorry missed your name... trying to wrap all this up in one post) your point about it being totally valueless is very valid... so lets say... $100 is now equal to 1 euro. Overnight change... The markets are going to crash and the government would have to have fallen, or a MAJOR incident occured (i.e. nuclear attack) but those are just some guesses to get the wheels turning. If you decide you need a partner to provide the moonshine, Just remember, I can't get carbs off of liqour... but I can off your food and seed stocks!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jca2005
I would go and trade sex to every woman to get what I need, well if it works.

Hey Fred! I was wondering what happened to you.

video.aol.com...

Personally, I’ve got food, gas and an old school auto to move it around in put back, as well as non hybrid seeds, and some solar generating capability. I’ve got no guns, but I’m ready to move it all to my mothers place, which is much more defendable, and loaded for bear. Oh yeah, I’ve got a couple years of water filtering capability as well. Of course the bottom line is that ‘unless God keeps a city, the watchman waketh in vain’.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Here is posted everything you need to survive in a money-free world-well almost. Written in a strange niave style I reccommend it to all budding survivalists and 2012 apocalypsos'...
has a great description for moonshine making, a decent recipe for your new best friend the rabbit and many more tips..
and yes the moonshine is fantastic!

Possum Living a guide to a minimal money life, excellent advice!

Have Fun!

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

Since nobody can have absolutely everything they need when TSHTF I've practiced doing a few things beyond the norm for barter other than the usual (growing food, moonshine,etc,etc) but the one thing that nobody else mentioned in the thread is paper . there was a mention of printing money but not what they would print on. Once you've went to the privy with that last worthless dollar, I believe I have a viable product from print quality to the lowly toilet paper, plus I can do this anywhere with minimal resources because not everybody will have access to the large manufacturing companies where it is made.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join