It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur Footprints from Polar Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't know if the climate change is the key to all the recent discoveries, or I am more tuned in to this subject, but here is another incredible discovery.

link
GIANT footprints from meat-eating dinosaurs have been discovered on Victoria's south-east coast, providing proof the beasts roamed the area millions of years ago.

The three fossil tracks found near Inverloch show at least two or three partial toes about 35 centimetres long, which suggest the creatures were up to 1.5 metres tall at the hip.

The prints are from the Cretaceous period when Australia was connected to Antarctica which leads them to believe that dinosaurs existed in this polar environment.

Some more articles found here:

Emory paleontologist reports discovery of carnivorous dinosaur tracks in Australia

Polar Dinosaur Footprints Found in Australian Outback

Amazing finds this year, and they keep coming

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Good find!! Interesting read!!

Wow, 115 million years old! This really amazes me, certainly suggests there is more discoveries to be made, thanks for sharing!

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I wonder just how many dinosaurs they'd find if there was a way to excavate under the ice of Antarctica. Just think, an entire continent, completely untouched by man that was once a tropical area. The amount of crazy life that could be found under that ice could revise scientific theory for years to come.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Because I am too lazy to look anything up right now.. Ummm.. at that point in time, wasn't the arctic NOT under ice?
I mean, I recall it was not always ice covered, and if these were meat eaters, then they were eating what? Likely other dinos, who were likely plant eaters.. or fish eat5ers, lolol.
My point is I have no point, something just seems to be a little off to me.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FalseParadigm

It's OK,

I think that as more and more discoveries are made.

What we have learned to believe as truth in the past

Changes in the light of new evidence.

The history is living and changing if that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Looking further into this, I found right on wiki

The Berrasian epoch showed a cooling trend that had been seen in the last epoch of the Jurassic. There is evidence that snowfalls were common in the higher latitudes and the tropics became wetter than during the Triassic and Jurassic[6]. Glaciation was however restricted to alpine glaciers on some high-latitude mountains, though seasonal snow may have existed further south.

Though Gondwana was still intact in the beginning of the Cretaceous, it broke up as South America, Antarctica and Australia rifted away from Africa

This about the cretaceous.
Since I am again, too lazy to look really hard.. This is from the first site I found that made mention of Australia's weather during that time frame.. Which was by the by, Australia's Lost Kingdoms.

Australia had a cool, wet climate.
For several weeks each year, parts of Australia may have had an icy polar winter including semi-darkness.

OK, MAY have had a polar winter.. for a few weeks, and cool, and wet..
I still see nothing earth shattering about this news.
For all they know, if that was in a polar winter area, the herbivorous dinos probably migrated, and the carnivores followed.
Just because they found some bones and footprints, I think it is a gross speculation that dinosaurs were polar animals, and all the other claims they are making. Of course anything is possible. And it is possible the dino was just passing through.
But lets just say I am not impressed, even after I have gone and done the smallest amount of research possible to sound semi intelligent.
Maybe someone can clue me in on what I am missing.

Edit for spelling, of course.

[edit on 10/23/2007 by FalseParadigm]

new topics

top topics

join