It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you act different if....?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Would you act differently if god didn't exist, for those who believe in god? For those who don't believe in god, would you act differently if it were proved god did exist? If so, why? If not, why?

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I act depending on the information avaible to me, if I find the information or knowledge to be incomplete, inconsistant or doubtful, I seek to aquire more knowledge/information from as many sources that I can find, before considering any action.

If the information or knowledge is withheld/restricted, I can only continue to srutinize that which I have learnt so far.

I tend to ask a lot of questions.

If God did exist, I would like to study/communicate with this entity directly. If it did not exist, I would have one less topic to ponder over.

In a parallel universe, with different factors/influences affecting it, I might act differently.

The environment/information/knowledge surrounding us can certainly affect us in different ways. Information is power.

I wonder what the Vatican has locked up in their vaults that they do not want the general public to know......
(could be some really powerful life changing information)

[edit on 22-10-2007 by ixiy]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Would you act differently if god didn't exist, for those who believe in god? For those who don't believe in god, would you act differently if it were proved god did exist? If so, why? If not, why?

Which God?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
any. Im not talking about a christian god or a muslim god, but just that some higher force in the universe existed. That there were a god out there. Would that change you?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Absolutely not. I already live my life as ethically as possible. And if there was such a thing as a supreme being, my worshiping it would be unnecessary because I don't think a REAL supreme being would be as needy as people seem to think it is.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Im not looking just for worship but any aspect of your life. The way you go about your day to day. Would it change the way you act toward people? Would it change the way you go about living life.

*For MM*- would you change how you live if you found an afterlife did/did not exist? (the opposite of what you believe) Would you change the way you live if you found that freewill did/did not exist? (whichever is the opposite you believe)

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i wouldn't change the way i act.
even if there is a god, i assume it would be as described and he just don't seem like the type of dude i want to be associated with...

so no...i would be the same

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
any. Im not talking about a christian god or a muslim god, but just that some higher force in the universe existed. That there were a god out there. Would that change you?

Well if no spesific God is used as an example I can't really supply you with a relevant answer.

If I was presented evidence that some sort of higher force in the universe existed that we really knew nothing about, other than that it was there, then no, it would not have any effect on my life at all. I mean, I already live under the assumption that this is in fact a possebility (how likely this is would be a different discussion).

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Not really, the morals and ethics i have were developed in accordance to a world without god - so i work both ways.

Why would it make any difference?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I have wondered the same thing before!

I have pondered... if i knew for certain there was no god/gods to judge me after this life would i feel the need to conform to societies rules as much?!?

If i knew there was no god, and i was diagnosed with a terminal illness, would i use the remainder of my days to kill everyone i disliked and go on a insane rampage until i was killed/caught. As i would have nothing to lose! :bash:

Eventually i have convinced myself that i would not act differently. As if i knew there was no god i would still know there is a legacy and family/friends to leave behind, and as a good natured person i know i would not be able to go against my ethical and moral stand points; which exists regardless of the existence of a god.

Gareth.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Well, if free will didn't exist, I couldn't change.

But as I said, hell no would I change. I would live my life the best I could to suit myself, and nobody else.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
No i wouldn't change the way i do things, if i knew there was no God. The lack of a deity wouldn't change the fact that every choice you make will somehow effect someone else, and as result of that i still couldn't bring myself to profit from someone else's suffering, nor would change the feeling of being burdened by holding a grudge against someone else.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Well I wouldn't do anything differently other then buying a set of ear plugs to block out the I told you so from my Christian friends. The other creature that can get away with bossing me around is my cat. Otherwise nothing else would ever ever tell me how to live my life.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   
if there was a god... nothing would really change for me. well, it depends on which god. if it was the norse pantheon i'd immediately become a warrior

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
no
if i found out there was a god it would not change me.
i made mistakes when i was younger and i have lived my adult life as morally right as i can and i try to teach my daughter the same thing so that she does not make the mistakes i did at her age.

and nothing will change that outlook on life, for me anyway

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I haven't believed in god in the same concept that we have been taught for a long time so I don't think it would change me any. I would still be a hard working, honest, loyal person that cares about every person I come in contact with.

new topics

top topics

join