It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web sites and adware/spyware

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm just curious to know. I only come to this website/hotmail/yahoo. Is it from this site that I get soooooo many adwares from or is it hotmail/yahoo? Just curious and frustrated with all of it. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
My guess would be yahoo and hotmail. (?)

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Are you the only person who uses the computer?

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Yeah...thought so...I didn't think this site would be apart of it. It's wierd too....since I got this program, I have had soooo much less adware on my comp it's unbeleivable. thanks

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
No I'm not the only person but my boyfriend is so comp illerterate that I don't think he has anything to do with it....even though he works for the gov....oooooooaaaaaa. Just kidding folks.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It's computer illiterate people that usually have the most spyware. Use Spyware Blaster. It's free.

www.javacoolsoftware.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Anyone who goes to either adult sites, anti-government sites, or .gov/.org sites is bound to have tons of spywares.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This site does not relay onto it's users any kind of spyware or installation software through advertising.

To prevent yourself from being disrupted by these means, as has been stated, look around for a spyware program that can scan your system for known files.

As always, anti-virus software and firewall software are recommended for any Internet user.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I dont think ATS even sends out ANY email anymore!

But I can strongly suggest that yahoo and hotmail generate their income thru advertisements....so they are probubly a spam-pipe to your pc.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I personnally think that Lavasoft's Ad-aware 6 is the best avaliable, and its free (just the way we like it)

www.lavasoft.de...

-ME

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Due to potential spam issues, AboveTopSecret.com no longer operates a mailing list.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I agree Ad-aware, got to have it.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
Due to potential spam issues, AboveTopSecret.com no longer operates a mailing list.

Knowing the issue's ...a real smart move in light of the changes on the web in the last year or so.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I did some experimenting and found evidence that suggests that ATS installs a FastClick tracking cookie but that isn't technically Spyware and is pretty harmless. You can read about their privacy policy here:
www.fastclick.com...

That link also has a option to install an "opt-out" FastClick cookie. I usually just don't sweat it and run my anti-spyware tools frequently.

The experiment:
did a clean install of Windows XP, ran AdAware6 and Spybot 1.2 to make sure it was clean, then went directly to the www.abovetopsecret.com page. When I ran the tools again it found a FastClick cookie. I repeated this several times with the same result.

With any luck that will be the worst thing that ever happens to any of us in our whole lives.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Fastclick technology may be related only to the LinkExchange banner at the bottom of ATS main board page, for tracking ad exposure and click-thru rates.

But I do not know that for certain.

edit...OK my bad....maybe ATS does not use the LinkExchange ad program anymore...I havent looked 'down there' in awhile and just noticed it is gone.

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaoszero
Anyone who goes to either adult sites, anti-government sites, or .gov/.org sites is bound to have tons of spywares.

How are spywares more related to .gov/.org websites???

Please, don't just make up stuff...

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I agree Ad-aware, got to have it.

Webroot's Spy Sweeper, while not free, is another must have, IMO. I use both AdAware and Spy Sweeper. One will usually find a few things the other doesn't.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I think one of the best out there is definitly Spybot.

It can "immunize" you computer from flaws or common technics used by some spyware. It can also alert you if you're downloading or installing from the web a software that is considered spyware.

I know Ad-aware can't do that, but I personnaly use both, cuz as Satyr said, sometimes one will find stuff that the other left behind.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I wasn't aware of this until today.

If you are at all concerned with people knowing where you go or what you do on yahoo......check it out.

Yahoo can track us and see what kind of sites we are looking at!!

BUT, ALSO HOW TO OPT OUT OF IT!! Which I did, first thing!

Here's how....

"Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you are going - similar to cookies.

Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

privacy.yahoo.com...

About half-way down the page, in the section "Outside the Yahoo! Network", you'll see a little "click here" link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping. I strongly recommend that you do this.

Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out. Notice the "Success" message the top the next page. Be careful because on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will *undo** the opt-out. Feel free to forward this to other groups. Of course, if you don't mind Yahoo recording every website and every group you visit you should ignore this message.

Regards

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
adware works for me, im just pissed off with all the spam i get for di@k enlargement pills, i get about 50 spams aday mainly for the same 4 things, no matter how much i block the sender i get the same crap next day from different ppl.

top topics

join