It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Author Explores Mayan 2012 Meaning: Maybe Lightening Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hey all,

I was reading THIS article about this topic. He was exploring the C American region in Sept of this year, so I imagine a book is to follow soon:

Apparently the Maya are to this day still keeping secrets from the general public about their great history in Central America. I was informed that some ruins may have been buried by the Maya people themselves to preserve their temples until their gods returned from the stars. In another issue, a Mayan informed me that the real temple where the great lightening bolt will hit on Dec. 21, 2012 has not been discovered and most Maya do not know its location." So many stories were documented, Mr. Panchuk says he's still working on them and trying to deal with the complicated question -- What is the truth about this date?

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
...some more thoughts on the Mayan beliefs and astronomy records... in recent posts, I've been citing an author, Sharer, who's 'downing' their awareness of science, w/ some of this nature, paraphrased, "...scientific knowledge of less then Kepler or Copernicus" in regards to true understanding of the heavens. He never mentions 2012 aside from the long count 'ending' on 12/21/12, in the book, Ancient Maya, now in it's 6th printing, the standard 'textbook' among college courses.

I've been doing a little 'other' research and found these clips, some of which leads me to believe they understood/stand space better then Sharer alludes to:

...the Mayas were aware that a year is slightly longer than 365 days, and in fact, many of the month-names are associated with the seasons; Yaxkin, for example, means “new or strong sun” and, at the beginning of the Long Count, 1 Yaxkin was the day after the winter solstice, when the sun starts to shine for a longer period of time and higher in the sky. When the Long Count was put into motion, it was started at 7.13.0.0.0, and 0 Yaxkin corresponded with Midwinter Day, as it did at 13.0.0.0.0 back in 3114 B.C.E. The available evidence indicates that the Mayas estimated that a 365-day year precessed through all the seasons twice in 7.13.0.0.0 or 1,101,600 days.

We can therefore derive a value for the Mayan estimate of the year by dividing 1,101,600 by 365, subtracting 2, and taking that number and dividing 1,101,600 by the result, which gives us an answer of 365.242036 days, which is slightly more accurate than the 365.2425 days of the Gregorian calendar.

(This apparent accuracy could, however, be a simple coincidence. The Mayas estimated that a 365-day year precessed through all the seasons twice in 7.13.0.0.0 days. These numbers are only accurate to 2-3 digits. Suppose the 7.13.0.0.0 days had corresponded to 2.001 cycles rather than 2 cycles of the 365-day year, would the Mayas have noticed?)

In ancient times, the Mayans had a tradition of a 360-day year. But by the 4th century B.C.E. they took a different approach than either Europeans or Asians. They maintained three different calendars at the same time. In one of them, they divided a 365-day year into eighteen 20-day months followed by a five-day period that was part of no month. The five-day period was considered to be unlucky. The Mayans used this during their calendar analysis that ends in 2012.

So, is 2012 a truly significant date? Will civilization end? Will this be the apocalypse? This date is most apparently connected to a Long Count of the Mayan calendar that means there will be a major change in the world order. Also, it is connected to the Mayan forecast of a major sunspot cycle. Here are some of the major things that have been forecase to occur in 2012:

* Major sunspot cycle in the Mayan calendar
* Asteroid or comet colision forecasted by algorythms taken from the Bible
* Nostrodamus speaks of a series of natural disasters...

The pre-Columbian Mayans observed and recorded movements of the heavens for 4,000 years and developed a calendar so accurate that any given day could be ascertained without duplication for 370,000 years. The Mayans knew that sun spots and solar flares had a direct link to the rise and fall of civilizations on earth.

crazy2012.com...

There's a video embedded in the site about the date too, it's a short (3 mins.) watch, some facts about solar cycles and the pyramid building... I know, so far, there's been a 'split' opinion about this forthcoming year, thought to update this thread.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Violent electrical storm in Oklahoma early morning hours of the 4th was the most amazing and scary storm that I have ever been in. It started just as day broke and the I checked the online doppler and a range of storms had appeared out of nowhere, a thin bank going across the entire n to s diameter of the state. When I awoke, the thunder actually sounded like bombs going off that the flash of lightening would coorelate with the exact sound of the boom. The house would shake and the the ground would shake. The scary part was not only the geographical way that the storm showed itself in the state, but also that the lightening was so intense and that their was no rolling thunder up in the sky. It was just the clap noises that came from the ligtening bolt hitting the ground. When I looked out the window, there was no clouds over my house, just a weird fog. It was spooky. I grew up in Oklahoma but I have also lived for about 10 years in the mountains of Arizona. I have never, never seen any type of storm like this before. I think something different is going on and I definitely think that we need to understand lightening better for the future. These storms are getting more violent and man have developed no way to be safe from these electrical bombs dropping from the sky.

new topics

join