It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand to buy Gripen, awacs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

In mid-October 2007 The Thai Cabinet approved a budget of 34.4 billion baht (about $1.1 billion) for the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) to purchase 12 JAS-39 Gripen multi-role fighters to replace its aging fleet of F-5 B/E Tiger II aircraft (the Israeli-upgraded F-5Ts with DASH helmet displays and Python missiles will remain in service). The RTAF will also buy 2 Saab S-1000 Erieye Airborne Early Warning aircraft, together with associated equipment and services. Negotiations between Thai and Swedish government officials will now commence in order to conclude a formal agreement.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

Came in low under the radar this one - i thought they were getting SU-30`s but in stead they are getting 2 awacs and 12 Gripen (JAS-39C/D) - and with the option of AESA really thows things into the mix

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well as the article (good site by the way been going there lots too) says the US couldn't sell the 16's due to the coup. Personally I like the fact that the Gripen is getting another chance to show its stuff keeps things interesting. Always got to cheer for the little guy sometimes.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I just wonder...Who is Thailand trying to defend themselves against ? I mean, Australia is a long term friend...As are most nations around Thailand...

Could it be they are concerned with Indonesia's recent efforts to build up its military capabilities ? Malaysia is also a close mostly Muslim neighbor, yet I haven't heard anything recently about Malaysia upgrading its military in a big way...

Maybe I missed something ?

Peace

P.S -- Nice OP BTW

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Maybe its just time to move on and ditch those old F-5Es!

Are they going to buy these in chickens and other dairy products to?
The main reason initial Su-30 deal came up on radar was because of the peculiar nature of the exchange!
news.bbc.co.uk...

Good for Thailand though!
Ditching the Su-30 means it most definitely does not have regional ambitions and is getting a fighter that will be technological upgrade of the F-5Es flight envelope.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Looks like this deal is hard cash

and yes the skyhawks and freedom fighters do need to be updated and soon

can`t really rely on the AV-8b`s for everything

edit:

Rilence Malaysia are allready recieving SU-30MKM (basically MKI`s but with small changes)

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

[edit on 22/10/07 by Harlequin]

new topics

top topics

join