It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police will charge 'victims' of false cases in South Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Seeing as the south africans have just won the rugby world cup(well done for beating england), i found this interesting article in a sa newspaper online. It states that any one found of falsely going to the police with accusations that prove to be absolutely false, will be charged.

Police will charge 'victims' of false cases

Police have issued a stern warning to people laying false complaints, saying they will face criminal charges and civil claims should they be exposed.
According to the police, five false cases were reported in Durban within a few days this month. The fraudulent complaints were uncovered by investigating officers soon after they were reported three weeks ago.
In one case, on September 4, a man alleged he was hijacked by three gunmen near the Butterworth Hotel in Field Street. However, on investigation police discovered that the man had been inside the hotel when the car had been stolen from outside the establishment.

Personally i think this is what police should do, as i have personal experience of these sorts of things. Today you never know who is making up what about you and holding a grudge and going to the police to wreck your life.

From the story i cannot tell if this is just a part of south africa or the whole country. Also with the high amount of crimes there, i can see why the police may not want to have this on there backs, and they may have enough to deal with real crimes.

Any here from south africa, can you explain if this report is true and what do you think about it.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I agree that making false calls wastes a policeman's time when he could be off saving lives or something. I'm not too familiar with South Africa myself, but I agree that those who make false claims should be punished, no matter where they are.

new topics

join