It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game 7: BoSox vs. Tribe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
With Game 7 tonight, I'd love to hear some thoughts on how this evening is going to play out.

Projected Starters

CLE: Westbrook (1-1, 6.17 ERA)
BOS: Matsuzaka (0-1, 6.75 ERA)

Even though Dice-K has been painfully disappointing thus far in the post season, I think he, as others, are a victim of their own hype. With the money that Theo coughed up for this guy, Red Sox nation is expecting him to walk on water. However, I think they would settle for a game seven win tonight.

His regular season wasn't that bad, but with the money he is being paid, they need better.

Throw the regular season out the window, throw any salary out the window, tonight is based on talent. Personally, even though Westbrook has looked better, I'll go with Dice-K. For one reason, and for one reason only. He's at home tonight. It's not that Dice-K is going to be overly remarkable tonight, or dominant like we see Beckett. But Westbrook is coming into Fenway, in an electric atmosphere that has no comparison. So Dice-K will pitch better, but only because Westbrook is going to get hit hard, and often.

Batting...

One through nine, is there a better line up? I mean, C'mon now. Six through nine last night carried the Sox, and put him numbers that are normally reserved for Papi & Manny. Outside of Papi's late game double, them two were non-existent last night. Yet the Sox put up 13 hits with 12 runs. If you put up those numbers, without Papi or Manny contributing, nobody wants to be on the other side of the field preparing for that offense.

Predictions...

I think the Sox take it tonight, and I think it might be over quick. If not the first time through the line up, then the second trip through will touch up the Tribe's starter. If Dice-K can get to the fifth, I think we'll see the bullpen come in and shut it down.

If the Sox are up by a few, the bullpen gets the nod. If it's close, we'll see Beckett coming in to shut it down.

Go Sox!

[edit on 21-10-2007 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm thinking Indians are going to win tonight, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Yankees fan. I think Dice-K is going to blow it.

How about...6-2 Indians win.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I wouldn't combat the negativity surrounding Dice-K, but you honestly think that Westbrook can contain the Red Sox bats?

The Sox have had their backs up against the wall for three games now. The pressure has been insurmountable, yet they are still here fighting for another day. In the face of this adversity, look at the numbers they've put up. Now that the Indians have finally had their backs up against the wall, are they going to be able to respond?

I don't think so at all.

Sizemore, Garko, Hafner, etc., will all do very little. Sizemore really is the only one that I'd put any faith in at this point.

With the Red Sox, now that they have finally put Crisp on the bench, they are operating one through nine.

So while Dice-K might, and probably will, take one on the chin. How do you propose Westbrook and the Tribe contain these bats?

Pedroia, Youk, Papi, Manny, Lowell, Drew, Varitek, Ellsberry, Lugo.

Where is the weak link? In a jam, who do you pitch around in order to find a better match up? Walk Papi to get Manny? How about last night, bases loaded with no outs. Manny k's, Lowell flies out to shallow right, and then Drew comes up in the clutch.

The Red Sox, like no other, pick one another up when they are in need.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Westbrook didn't do to bad in Game 3. I think he is going to do good again. And the Red Sox batting line up is great, but sometimes they just can't get it going in full swing. They hit into alot of double plays in the past games. A few guys can't carry the offense.

They were able to outplay the Yankees, I think they are going to do it again tonight.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
A few guys can't carry the offense.

That's the kicker though, they are not relying on one or two guys to provide the offense. Like I said above, Papi & Manny didn't do anything last night. Yet they plugged thirteen hits and twelve runs. Six through Nine put up 11 RBI's.

It would appear, to me, that the Indians are trying to rely too heavily on a few guys, while the Sox are operating on all cylinders.

Ortiz - .462
Manny - .407
Youk - .400
Varitek - .313
Lowell - .303

When two, three, and four, in your line up are hitting .400+, you're in good shape. And keeping in mind, six through nine last night had 11 RBI's.

Potent and balanced.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
5-2 for the Sox in the 8th.

Lookin' like Papelbon is going to shut this one down.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Wouldn't be ironic if Trot Nixon tied it or won it for the Indians in the ninth! What would the Beaners do?

[edit on 21-10-2007 by x-phile]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
How about...6-2 Indians win.

Alright...so I was a bit off with that guess...

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
man I am so salty about the results of this one. What the 3rd base coach thinking holding up Lofton for the tie run? What an idiota.

I mean, being from OH and all I had high hopes for the Tribe, but once they lost and had things going to Boston, that was the nail in the coffin.

Even if Lofton has been waved home, they still would have lost simply by being outplayed, and being away.

I really had hoped for a Rockies/Tribe face-off but now I guess its better that I only have 1 team to root for other than switching jerseys every time a different team scored.

Time for the Rocks and Sox on Fox

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I don't think the third base coach should be hung out to dry, even though the media is doing their best to lynch him. Manny had thrown Lofton out a few innings earlier, which really worked against the Tribe in that inning. And also in his defense, it was tough to accurately estimate how quick the ball was coming off of the wall. With the bang it let out, it was easy to think it was going to dart right to Manny.

Clearly he should of sent him, but the fact of the matter is, it didn't make a difference.

Yet the media will continue to blame him for this loss.

The unfortunate lives of base coaches in the big leagues. Never recognized for a good decision, but lynched for the odd mistake.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
My roommate who works for the Red Sox was able to get the Pedroia homerun ball. It bounced back on the field, and Sizemore threw it back in, eventually ended up in the runway for the Indians duggout. He saw it and took it. Nice piece of memorabilia, if your a Red Sox fan.

top topics

join