It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

k wrestling fans. ufc signed brock lesnar. they announced it at ppv last night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
what do you think?
i am not a pro wrestling, wwe type fan but brock lesnar is a legit wrestler. this guy is a friggin monster and he is definately the best wrestler the ufc has ever had. i am talking greco/folk wrestling.
is wrestling is much more polished than couture, kerr, coleman, lindland, etc...
if this dude wants you on the ground, you're going on the ground.
now, of course we need to see someone test his chin but he has been wrestling for like 18 years and training mma for the past two years.

i have to think that someone like him only needs basic submission defense and some muay thai work. enough to keep him safe till he can get people down which i don't think will be much of a problem.

he could definately make some serious waves in the heavy division.
with couture gone and fedor with m-1, ufc needed someone.

he went 33-0 his senior year
bout 300 pounds
2nd place ncaa champ in 99, 1st place in 2000
4 time all american
2 time big ten champ
in his college career he went 106-5

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Did they now?

I didn't tune in last night, but this is definitely big news for the UFC. The name alone will draw attention, regardless of how his career pans out.

I'm interested in seeing who this guy tackles first, and how he operates within the octagon.

I would not, and I repeat, would not want to be standing across from this guy.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Lesnar looks good, but he has a few potential weaknesses.

Chin untested
Good wrestlers sometimes can't get submissions
Big guys and cage newbies can gas quickly

It depends somewhat on how who he fights and when.

If they bring him along slowly and give him a couple cans to fight to get used to the cage, and he dominates, it could be great. If he's a hard 300lbs, who can touch him? They'll have to add a Super Hwt class.

But, as we've seen before in Pride, there are some big tough looking guys who can't fight as good as they look.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

lesnar actually has to cut a bit...his last fight(mma), won by strikes in 1 minutes, he was 262 lbs.
we do need to see how he does when he gets tapped on the chin but i don't think his cardio is going to be an issue.
he should be able to muscle out of quite a lot of submissions.

have to remember, he is a big ass strong mofo.
he is a sick wrestler. he can survive by ground and pound.
rush em, pin em against the cage and just work em.

aside from nog, the heavyweight division really blows right now.
few up and comers but no real dominant fighter. the cage is the perfect environment for him.

if he did not have this extensive wrestling background then i would question this much more.
i think he is going to be just fine.

depending on how they want to 'build him up', they should toss him in there with nog. that would be a good test. american fans don't know nog.
he went to the decision with fedor and after sapp tossed him around and slammed him on his head, he tapped him.

if he beats or even does well against nog in his first fight in the ufc, then, i say he is right where he belongs.

edit* rules are fighters can be a pound over so he can come in as high as 266.

i have a good gut feeling about this guy...he was insane on the amateur mats. i wish he would have come straight from that to mma but what you gonna do.

lesnar is one of the few we type dudes i actually wanted to see in mma.
benoit and dean malenko being a couple more.
well, no more benoit but he was on my list

[edit on 21-10-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

i tell you what, i am getting very stoked about this as the days pass

check out this vid of him training...i LOVE the workouts he does

i am a wrestler at heart so i always have a soft spot for guys that come into mma with solid wrestling/grappling backgrounds.

the biggest problems a lot of guys that come from wrestling have are they are either boring, and/or they tend to gas out.

they come out and pound on you for th first round and by round two, if the guy could keep a good guard, he could ride out the storm.

i just don't see most people doing that with brock on the ground.
we see how sylvia and couture, hell, even tito seem to damn near always get the takedown and pin people against the fence and pound em out.
i don't see brock having a problem with it.

the heavy division is pretty weak right now.
i think nog would tap him just like he did sapp.
they are talking his first fight being superbowl weekend against possibly heath herring. i think he is going to demolish heath.

i need to see brock against mark hunt and nog before i can come to a conclusion but all i can say now is he has a 'chance' to wreck stuff.

he has been up training in minnesota with dave menne and sean sherk among others.
he spent a bit of time at militech.

i am very stoked. more stoked about him coming into mma than friggin kimbo

top topics

join