It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the greatest millitary advancement?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Here's one I've been thinking about. What is the greatest advance in millitary armament in history? Prehistoric man had clubs or cudgels, later, bows, throwing death further, swords, knives- don't have to reload those, to nuclear arms, aircraft to take arms elseware. My contention is that the greatest advance in millitary armament is the use of gunpowder as a weapon. Tell me what you think.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
With its 'connection' to gun powder....

I would hazard a guess and say that the advancement in ordinance (ie: military material such as ammunition, weapons, equipment, and combat vehicles), is the single greatest military advancement.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I think the use of horses to carry troops was one of the greatest military advancement, once horses were introduced into fighting, everyone adapted it very soon.

If a battle happened between cavalry and infantry, most of the time cavalry won.

Another greatest achievement which defeated horse advantage is as you said use of gun powder. This is still being used today.

The latest greatest military achievement is increased use of aircraft, they pretty much won WW2 for the allies. U.S. and other military powers depened, depends and will depend them for world supremacy.

Then there is ballistic missles, which you can argue comes under aircraft. But it is the technology of the future.

But does it really matter, they were all used to kill another human, whichever one adopts the latest technology before his enemy adapts it wins the battle and mainly the war.

[Edited on 26-1-2004 by surfup]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
mechinazation like tanks half tracks automatic weapons that to me is the greates advancement.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

It is most unfortunate that the greatest achievement in the military came from elsewhere. I think that you will all agree that biological weapons are the meanest, nastiest achievement that we have ever created. We can win an entire war without putting one troop on the ground if we wanted to. A nerve agent that dissolves flesh on contact, yuk. Bomb an area with these babies and then walk in and take over. Hose the place down, and BOOM. You have just taken over the area.
Unless the enemy knows what you�re using, they have no way to counter it.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Here's one I've been thinking about. What is the greatest advance in millitary armament in history? Prehistoric man had clubs or cudgels, later, bows, throwing death further, swords, knives- don't have to reload those, to nuclear arms, aircraft to take arms elseware. My contention is that the greatest advance in millitary armament is the use of gunpowder as a weapon. Tell me what you think.

The development of metallurgy. First Copper, then Bronze, Iron and Steel. Without the development metals nothing would be possible.

hrxll

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
At first I was dissmissing biological weapons as a huge ADVANCEMNT as we already had WMD's. But afer a search I found out that BW's have been used since 7th century B.C. Exellent call.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
i think that machine gun was a serios advancement i mean look ww1 as an exsample

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Tactics! I mean look at all the wars where enemy forces lined up in a line straight across from each other and basically marched into death.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
to me the satalite is the greatest military advancment

[edit on 16-10-2004 by blue cell]

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Tell me what you think.

If you think about it, a gun is just a projectile weapon. A significant advance on the bow and arrow, but then again the bow and arrow is a sigifcant advance on the adl-adl, and thats a signif. advance on the dart. I'd personally narrow it down to a few things. Outside of the first weapon, and probably after the first use of processed metals to make weapons, I tend to think of the Nuclear Bomb as the biggest advance. Yeah, its recent, but it can destroy entire cities. Even if you don't haev guns, you can still do almost anything if you have nukes.

In a sense, the most siginificant military acheivement could be said to be detterence then too no? But I asusme you are focusing on actual weapons technology. Otherwise one might want to also list various logistic methods or tactical/strategic command apparati.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The greatest military advancement was the concept of a "military". The transformation of loose bands into a cohesive structure, with discipline, training, and a chain of command, revolutionized combat. To support this assertion I would point out that regardless of technological advancements in weaponry, the evolution of tactics and strategy the basic concept of a "soldier" and the "command organization and structure" to which he belongs, remains the same. Watch a parade of modern soldiers marching and your looking back through the Roman Legions, Spartans�

Sergeant Monkeys, not just for assigning KP duty anymore...

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Otherwise one might want to also list various logistic methods or tactical/strategic command apparati.

care to go into detail???

think that you will all agree that biological weapons are the meanest, nastiest achievement that we have ever created.

biological compounds are reletivly simple, a pretty simple mix of chemicals is not much of an achievement. if you look at that then also look at modern medicens they have extreme advanced levels of chemicle compostions.

technologically we are downright insase. i would consider us one of the most violent races. so much emphasis on death, as a means to get what is good. the new laser technology is just becoming more and more effective and cheap. atacking at the speen of light is no easy task. that and the horror that is nuclear capabilities. for the most part we are neglagent, and uncaring people.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The Human soldier!

the training and development of special forces,small deadly,highly trained combat units where each member has the skills off 2 or 3 standard soldiers and is far tougher both mentally and physically than your normal squaddie.
S.A.S,S.B.S,Delta,Seals etc.~
If your talking about weapons id say the nuclear subs of the cold war,Potentially lethal un seen bringers of total world anhialation (spelling?)
Regards.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
i would say satellites cause u could spy on another country from space and know where they are goin and that. and also stealth technology

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The greatest advancement in military history has got to be the advancement in rations. Armies march on their stomaches. Just think of a major military exercise being conducted today without the invention of the MRE. Imagine being sent to a foriegn land and having to forage for food, thereby increasing the risk of foodborne illness, disease, improper dietary considerations, etc.

The best fed, best clothed military has, and will prevail.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
the greatest military advancement was industrialization and universal conscription. This turned war's between professional soldiers into entire conflicts between nations, essentially making warfare the war of the proletariat and not of the aristocracy.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I'll have to agree with drfunk this time

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:16 AM
link   
don't forget radar... without it modern warfare would not be possible

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The breechloading bolt-action rifle. Finally took projectile weapon technology past the longbow (a company of 15th century longbowmen could have outshot a company of Wellington's redcoats), and caused a change in tactics from brightly-uniformed soldiers in orderly ranks lining up to shoot each other to troops in camouflage-like colours making use of cover.

top topics

join