It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breathtaking Abuse Of The Constitution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Breathtaking Abuse Of The Constitution

www.phoenixnewtimes.com

This newspaper and its editorial staff — both current and former — are the targets of unprecedented grand jury subpoenas dated August 24.

The authorities are also using the grand jury subpoenas in an attempt to research the identity, purchasing habits, and browsing proclivities of our online readership.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This story is amazing but as it moves on it actually gets better. In my next post there is a news article posted just 3 hours ago that will make most of you happy.

As far as this article, from what I gathered Phoenix New Times is a free weekly publication. They posted the Sheriff's home address on their site and became a target after that. I am not going to say much more than that, you just have to read this for yourself. It is too much for me lol

www.phoenixnewtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
It seems Friday was a big day for the "Special Prosecutor" as well as the County Attorney. According to THIS article from Arizona Republic, the New Times owners were actually ARRESTED! However there is some GOOD NEWS

A criminal case against Phoenix New Times fell apart Friday amid a crush of public outrage and admissions that a special county prosecutor made serious mistakes. Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas dismissed all charges against the free weekly newspaper less than 24 hours after two New Times owners were arrested for publishing details of a grand-jury subpoena that demanded the Internet records of any person who had visited the newspaper's Web site since 2004.

and the State Bar received numerous complaints and says they are going to open an investigation. Like I said, this is one you have to read to believe. It is just AMAZING to me.

I wont comment on this further for now, I have to be back at work in 6 hours and I just got home from work 1 and a half hours ago. Need sleep

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   

The pertinent section of the secret grand jury subpoena reads, in part: "All internet web site information for the Phoenix New Times internet site related to the web pages . . . [four specific articles on the sheriff]. The information should include, but not be limited to: The Internet Protocol addresses of any and all visitors to each page of . . . [four specific articles on the sheriff]. . ."

It just gets more ridiculous from there!

This is absurd. There is no way these guys will get away with this. The city prosecuter should be dis-barred. Every ATS member should be worried about this - if this case has any standing. The implications on free speech are frightening. IP addresses? COME ON!

The Sheriff is certainly a publicity hound, as he is all over the cable news networks everytime someone wants to talk about prisons, prisoner's rights and immigration.

Isn't it so typical that a local official is brought down after it comes to light that he is trying to make money off of property that he knows may be bought by the local government? It is almost cliche'. What a dumba$$! Now he is just crawfishing and trying to distract from the real issue. However, I don't think they should have published his address.

[edit on 20/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I have to agree that it was not a good idea at all to publish the Sheriff's home address, however an argument can be made that since he is an elected official his home address would be a matter of public record. Still no law was broken by New Times posting his address.

On the bright side, they are not getting away with this at all and hopefully the "investigation" will be fair and this Sheriff fired as well as the County Prosecutor. I am not so sure he should be disbarred just because I have no idea how much he really knew or what part he may have played in all of this, but at the very least he should lose his job for being clueless as to what was going on right under his nose.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Scary to say the least. Excellent find. Im hoping that this was the action of a group of people that went nuts rather than a nationwide conspiracy to go after any sort of resistance to agendas.

However, our revolution, which our forefathers paid for in blood is being usurped by a clique of "interests" than inhabit our government. We need to make some serious choices in who and what we elect.

top topics

join