It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dis-Information Regarding NASA Craft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hey all.

I'm sure many of you are aware by now - That NASA have been installing 'Ion Engines' into most of their latest satellites. There hasn't been any real Huge Press regarding these Engines, and I am curious as to why, as They're Litteraly - a Completley New, and revolutionary Space-Based Propulsion.

These engines Leak out Plasma Gas, Slowly Propelling the craft from a snails Pace - To Tens Of Thousands of Miles an hour. Apparently Having a Theoretical Top speed Ten Times faster than that of the Apollo Missions.

A Satellite Launched in August, with these engines, Is now Half-Way bettween Jupiter & Saturn. Making it the fastest Human-Made Object in space. It has reached there in a little under two months - Whereas With previous systems - It would have taken a year - or even more.

My Point is - Like the Apollo Missions and their modern offspring - The Shuttle (or STS) Missions - Could these Revolutionary propulsion systems be simply cover stories?

Could this be technology we had decades ago - And that NASA are simply using only now to Get us ready for some time in the near future when they unveil a 'Breakthrough' in Faster than Light-Speed travel, using Plasma, or Anti-Matter-Based Warp Systems?

What are your Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I think this has more to do with the fact that:

Most U.S citizens simply don't care for the workings behind new science and tech, they just care about the results. If they hear they're getting to certain places faster, that's all they want and need to know.

Not to mention a lot of folks here in the U.S simply don't care about the space program(s) now. Even though they will eventually be saving humanity. But until it's needed, people wont appreciate the science.

For folks that want to learn more about the workings, there are probably resources out there. So, I don't find this to be "disinformation" but merely a known lack of interest on part of those who feel they need no education.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The "ion" engines in question have only been fitted to 4 craft so far. DEEP SPACE 1 that left earth orbit in 1998 on its way to becoming the fastest thing humans have ever built. The engine on DS1 was the only prototype at the time and had only been test fired one before launching. It does produce an extremely small amount of thrust, the equvilent to only a couple of tenths of a gram of force. But it accelerates 24/7/365 to eventually reach a very high speed.
There is hardly any disinformation going on, I subscribed to a DEEP SPACE Project web letter, from about 1 yearbefore its launch till about a couple of years ago, I got weekly updates on the projects development and then updates on the mission after launch.
The news it out there, just most people dont pay any attention. We built fully functioning nuclear rocket motors in the 60's, but forgt about them ,there were fully functioning ion engines built in the 70's and we completly forgot about them.
All the sheeple care about is when the Raiders or whom ever play or when britney is going to get out of rehab/jail/trailer park.

shd

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have to agree, its a shame the mainstream media does not take much notice, but there is a few news stories out there. Maybe once the technology has been used for a bit more it'll be common knowledge and in the news/documentaries more often.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

Your post struck me as really profound, and really depressing. I totally agree with everything you said, however. I sometimes feel pretty pessimistic about the future of our species considering the high level of ignorance, and mixed with the high level of apathy it feels like a totally hopeless combination. It's rare these days that I'm reminded of the reasons why we're worth saving at all.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well, I hate to say it, but I saw a special on these certain engines on MSNBC. They use some form of "drip propulsion." I guess, if you miss it, it doesn't mean it's not there, or being reported.

top topics

join