It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal Advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Hi there, I would like some legal advice in a certain matter I am currently in now.

Here is the story:

Okay, I used to be a manager at a local coffee shop. I am generally a very nice and helpful person. A friend of mine was getting kicked out of his home because he did not have enough money to pay. So I helped him move to a new apartment, and I loaned him $2,700 for him to get settled in. We had a verbal agreement, and I know should have gotten a written one, but he was a friend so I thought he would pay me back. I tried to get my money back, and this person has been avoiding me. I kept calling him, and he called the police for harassment.
I am currently in college, and I need as much money as I can get. What is the best way for me to get my money back? I am very stressed and I need all the help I can get.
Thank you in advance.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Verbal can still be binding. And usually is.

I plugged this:
"verbal agreement loan"
into Google and got many many links to legal websites where others are asking this very same question.

personal loans can be a very inexpensive way to get someone out of your life..

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
1. If there are any witnesses to your oral contract, track them down and get them to agree to testify in small claims court.

2. Use this guide to small claims court, but you may want to ignore its advice about hiring a paralegal. I don't know if hiring a paralegal would be helpful or not, just that this website is biased, as they are selling paralegal services:

www.canlaw.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Thank you very much guys!
I guess I should just take him to court.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I learned not to lend money to people -- especially friends -- long ago. It's the surest way of losing friends and your money.

If you really feel inclined to "help someone out", always...always get it in writing. An I.O.U. or even a simple contract (i.e., " I am loaning ____ said amount of money to be repaid in a specific time period") is always a must.

I know that some people, typically the one doing the loaning, often "feels" that such a note isn't necessary or that he might be "offending" the person asking for the loan but, when you think about it, that's ridiculous.

Friendship is one thing but whenever money is involved, it's business. If you want to keep your friends, either don't loan them money or, if you do, always get it in writing. It's really the best way to preserve your relationships.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The key here is the amount of evidence you have. As long as you guys made a verbal contract it IS legally binding. However, either this person has to admit to it or you need to have a witness. Otherwise it's your word against his..and in the court of law that means nothing.

new topics

top topics

join