It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Vets Rant. Say Thank You.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This morning a coworker of mine received news that one of her neighbors had a son who was wounded in Iraq. Apparently he will make it, but he's going to have to go through extensive surgery and rehab.

He's 19. NINETEEN years old. Chances are that he will never be the same again. Man. Think about that for a second. He came pretty close to death fighting for his country, yet he can't legally be served a beer. I say that he was fighting for his country. He was. You might not, heck I don't agree with the war. But dammit he put on his boots to fight a battle he was asked to fight.

I've lived through 3 wars. I was too young for the first one in Asia, and too old for the others in the ME. Would I have gone abroad if asked? Damn right.

Why, you ask? Because I want to shoot guns, throw hand grenades and kill people? Because I want the rush of dodging enemy artillery? Because I want to see bombs level entire cities?

NO! I would go and fight because I am proud to be an American. I don't want to die, but I would to defend my country.

Again, many here will ask why. Why? Because I can do anything I want (within reason.) I can call my Commander in Chief an idiot, and not have to worry about being prosecuted.
I can turn on the TV and complain that there's nothing to watch on the 200+ stations on my TV.
I can type on my keyboard and complain that all of my rights are being taken away.

Take a look around, and see just how VERY good we really do have it. If my biggest complaint of the day is how dismayed I am that the buttons here on ATS have changed, then I'm doing all right.

When Francis Scott Key penned the immortal words "That Our Flag Was Still There" he was describing a battle that was hard won defending Fort McHenry from a pounding by the British Fleet. Brave men fought, and died defending our land. I get goose bumps EVERY single time I hear that line sung.

Do we have to "show papers"? I've read posts here which proclaim we need to. I can get on a train any time I want, day or night, and go to any destination I want without having to "show papers". I can get in my car anytime I want and drive anywhere I want and not have to worry about being harrassed by men with guns interogating me - unless of course I do something stupid.

If I get hungry in the middle of the night I can run to the 24 hour drive through without having to fear breaking curfew.

Rights being taken away? You know WHY you have those rights don't you? Because men and women fought to protect those very rights for all of us. Many of these men and women were mere kids, who hadn't even cleared up their acne yet. They left as children and came back hardened men. Is it their fault they are sent abroad. No it's not. Do not confuse the issues here.

For anyone who says "Well just don't follow orders" has probably never served. That's not an insult, just my perception.

Should our Vets be honored. Your damn right they should. Many here on ATS have never served, and probably won't ever have to serve BECAUSE our vets fought to protect that freedom. Kind of Ironic when you think about it.

Many here on ATS have served. To you I say God speed and THANK YOU.

I ask that this not be a debate on how ogreish and murderous our troops are. I just wanted to show my support for those who have the mettle to do what they have done, and are doing.

Thoughts and prayers to the ninteen year old man who was wounded. Thank you Joel, get well soon brother.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Great post!

That is yet another reason why I serve. Too bad more people weren't like you. There is a city close to me that thinks all military are baby killers and they aren't afraid to let you know!

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This reminds me of what i typed on another thread a couple of weeks ago.

Just yesterday i was on the bus, and a soilder was on the bus, and the other passengers on the bus looked at him with contepmt, and shunned him.

I stood up and said "Mr. X I want to thank you for seraving our country"

His face lit up, he said thanks and no problem

You don't have to agree with the way the war is going, to support our troops, the greatest of all Americans, who put thier lifes on the line, to preserve our freedoms.

I would never voulunteer for active duty, but i would gladly go if i were drafted

But i will honor anyone who has, or will fight for this country

[edit on 10/19/2007 by TKainZero]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Lombozo, fifty years ago, if a soldier walked into a place of business, people would walk up to them and shake their hands. It's not that way anymore. Instead, they receive scowls and nasty glances. It's a damned shame; it really is. However, that's not a reflection on our soldiers; it's a reflection on the sucky ass attitude of the American populace.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hopefully you'll still feel the same way when they're rolling through our streets, lombozo. Hoping?......hell, they'll be counting on it.

See ya on the front lines.

Peace

[edit on 19-10-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

On the front lines is where you'll find me.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
[edit on 19-10-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Lombozo,

I will gladly stand by you in any street, at any time!!!!

Great Post and a TON of truth in there....

Semper

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I will gladly stand by you in any street, at any time!!!!

Semper

Right back at you brother. No question about it.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Yes, great post.

My only question is where is it that people live where vets and guys in uniform are scowled at and receive nasty glances and ridicule?

I don't see any of that where I am. And I'm pretty sure if it were to happen, the offenders would likely catch what for from anyone in the vicinity.

Definitely not healthy to diss a man in uniform or a vet here in the heartland.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I spent time in Fort Campbell, KY & Clarksville, TN. It is a different mentality than it is here in the Northeastern US. I've seen the disrespect. I've heard the little back biting comments.
Call me what you will, but I DO thank those in uniform when I see them, and offer my hand. It takes 5 seconds, and like tkainzero stated it makes their day.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Well that just makes me sad. What the hell is the matter with people? Of course, I live in the city that's home to the American Legion, and probably more memorials to soldiers than anyplace outside DC.

Yes, there is a distinct difference between regions. And there are good and bad (and smart and stupid) people everywhere. But I'm proud to be in an area that is overwhelmingly supportive of our folks in uniform, even if we're not all completely supportive of the guys running the show.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
A lot has changed since the return of the VietNam vets. I don't know any body that has the disdain for the Uniform these days like back in the 60's. I remember listening as my Dad comforted his friends that returned from the war. He had a lot of respect from them because his door was always open and he would not think twice about giving them a job and or helping them get their feet back on the ground after their return. I suppose that is why I have always felt the same way. In our home I never experienced the negativity towards Vets. In my day, there have been several occasions when Vets would talk with me and I would always listen until they were done. That's all it took sometimes. I was not and am not blind to the BS being spewed against our military, I just do not listen and look forward to the encouraging emails from my Brother who always sends stories of individuals that are the true spirit of our proud country and an inspiration to all that defend the Constitution. And also I have said before on the forum, that song tears me up every time I hear it too!

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Oh and I forgot! Most importantly, to all of the returned Vets

Thankyou.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I am not an American.

But when the ships come in I gladly drink with the boys and girls of the US navy and the USMC.

Big Respect to those that serve.

MonKey

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   

My only question is where is it that people live where vets and guys in uniform are scowled at and receive nasty glances and ridicule?

That would be the once great state of Califonia, i sure there are other places in the USA, but this is the only place i can say that I witnissed it first hand...

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Those men serving overseas are to be commended for their service- A service that put their lives at risk and their commitment to protect us is very honorable.
The fact that some of us do not want war, or see this war as Bush's war has no bearing, or take away from these heroes who fight for us while we sleep in our warm comfortable beds.

I have the utmost respect for them and God speed to them. May they all come home safe and sound. And for those who are wounded returning, may they receive all the love and care and support they deserve.

For those of them who gave up their lives, may God have a special place for them and a reward in heaven, and give their loved ones strength to move on.

Not wanting war, or agreeing with it does not take away one bit from these heroes who are following orders.

God Bless them all!

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Well said. Nice post my friend.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
What does it hurt to say thank you? Costs me nothing, and brightens the soldiers day immeasurably. I've done it more than once, and I suspect that I will again. Surrounded as I am in my life (such as it is) by people who've served for varying lengths of time in all branches of the United States Armed Forces, how could I be other than grateful, and try and reflect that gratitude as best I can?

I've seen the disrespect accorded our returning soldiers first hand. I won't stand for it, ever. These young, too young seems to me, men and women have done nothing to warrant the disrespect that has been thrown at them. Save your disdain for the politicians that can not seemingly solve a problem without resorting to puting those kids into dangers way. The soldiers, with few exceptions, have done nothing save what they thought was the right thing to do.

No. Saying thankyou harms no one, and helps one.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Great subject lombozo. I was thinking along the same lines. This weekend I was at an air show and saw lots of amazing things. The B2 Stealth Bomber, the F117 Stealth Fighter, and so many other great military machines that I don't have time to mention. Still, the thing that gives you the most pride is the men and women that pilot and support these airplanes. All the Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marine personell in uniform are what makes these things work. Without them they would be useless pieces of metal. My hats off to all the individuals who defend America from all threats foriegn and domestic and special admiration to the people that have lost their life/limbs while serving. American Vets know what it means to sacrifice all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join