It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hayward Fault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I have a tendency to start a new thread and put it in the wrong location, please feel free to move to correct location.

I was listening to Fox news and they just had a segment about Earthquakes.

Tom Brocher coordinator of the Northern California Earthquake Hazards Investigations for the U.S. Geological Survey was saying that Scientist have taken soil samples and discovered that every 140 years there is a major quake in the Haward Fault and that this Sunday will be the 139th year. He said that this quake could be upwards of a 7.3.

The headline:

"Hayward Fault, Tectonic Time Bomb"

This would effect area's like San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco and a real threat in Menlo Park.

The 1868 Hayward Earthquake is known as the Great San Francisco Earthquake.

He said Scientist urge Bay area residents to plan-stockpile supplies and to have older two story homes evaluated for weakness.

www.mercurynews.com...

or

www.iris.edu...

[edit on 19-10-2007 by observe50]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
In case anyone sees this thread would like to add update:

Couldn't get it to work for me so you can get it in the headline section at :

www.iris.edu...

[edit on 21-10-2007 by observe50]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Here's some information I posted on another thread (which my inbox says got deleted):
Susceptibility Map of the San Francisco Bay Area
Liquefaction Hazard and Shaking Amplification Maps
Hawyard Fault Zone

Since I moved back here in the bay area, I've felt several small quakes, and about two noticeably large ones this year.

Google Earth has a cool Virtual Tour of the Hayward Fault you can download from the USGS.

This is another interesting article in regards to Bay Area Earthquake Probabilities.

Thanks for starting this thread.

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The problem is that the SF Bay Area is home to two HUGE faults the other of which is the San Andreas fault.

The Loma Prieta quake that did so much damage was about 6.9 and the epicenter was over 100+ miles away. A major quake on either of these faults would cause catastrophic destruction (Richter 8 or above) or a long duration 7+

As I sit here the San Andreas is only about 3 miles from my house
But we are well prepared

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Not sure if this goes here or not, but I saw this earthquake prediction posted on another site I go to, thought to share since it mentioned the Hayward Fault. Affective today to 11/01/07:

San Francisco Bay Area Quake Warning

More info here

Their scoring system

I'm about 2 miles from the Hayward Fault.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
The other day I came across an internet based earthwork project for the Hayward fault:
Mori

Mori engages the earth as a living medium. Minute movements of the Hayward Fault in California are detected by a seismograph, converted to digital signals, and transmitted continuously via the Internet to the installation. Inside the entry curtain, visitors follow a fiber optic cable to the center of the resonating enclosure, where a portal through the floor frames the installation's focal point. The live seismic data stream drives an embedded visual display and immersive low-frequency sounds, which echo the unpredictable fluctuations of the earth's movement.

This link is especially interesting as it plays digital piano sounds of ground movement (Needs Java to view it):
Online interface with sound

More info here

Another thing that I'd like to mention to those living here in the SF bay area is this link I previously posted here.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I didn't want to start a new thread because most of my threads go no where and I don't want to use good space.

It is now Easter time and twice this week they had segments on Fox about the Hayward Fault.

David Swartz of the USGS was saying that we are now marking the 140th year Anniversary and there could due for a large quake in the Hayward Fault.

He was saying 6.8 to 7.0 could effect 7 million people living in that area, in the marsh area the land was filled and it is water saturated mud and sand. The soil is poor and considered dangerous it would become liquid mud.

Are the members here getting any information about strengthening your homes and getting supplies in for a few days like before.

[edit on 24-3-2008 by observe50]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Hi observer50,

I've also noticed what you mentioned about the 140th anniversary.

Another thing that I've noticed is that our house has shifted. About maybe a month or so after that 5.6 the door jam to our room started to stick. Another thing was our restroom sink has started to slightly come apart from the wall.

We recently started getting work done on the outside of our house and I was talking to our contractor as I saw that the bottom portion of our house looked to be off. He said that it was probably the way the house was made. Well, we walk a bit more down the way toward the outside near the restroom wall and I saw the pipe was detached. It looks to be at least 2 inches off. The contractor came back to me and said I was right and that the house did shift.

Another thing was when we placed a chair with wheels in the back room, it's been slightly rolling toward the wall.

The other day I tested the floor with a marble and it wasn't staying put but started going toward the wall too. I went into my room and it did the same thing.

In the front of our house the foundation is somewhat falling apart. So there is some shifting going on for sure. This house has been pretty stable throughout the years. It's constructed of Red wood and we were told that it was built like a tank. But what I'm seeing with the various cracks and that pipe outside doesn't look very good. It could be our foundation is going bad as well.

I've seen the charts on what the liquefaction would be in our area if a quake strikes here on the Hayward Fault and we are in the very strong range.

We had an outage with our fridge a few months back which caused us to buy a deep freezer. So now that the fridge is fixed we have extra storage for food.

It's got me to wondering if something will be happening soon. God only knows. I just pray we be kept safe and saved no matter what happens.

Here's more information from March 20, 2008:
Alarming results of Hayward fault study

There's a video about the most recent quakes here at this link (I didn't even feel that one):
Study:Next Major Hayward Fault Quake To Cost $165B

Well, I better get going...thanks again for posting on this.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

top topics

join