It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MRSA Breakout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
timesunion.com.../19/2007+

Schools act to halt staph infection
Districts scrub facilities, launch efforts to raise awareness of deadly germ

Capital Region schools are disinfecting their buildings in the wake of a Virginia teenager's death and a federal study that focused national attention on the deadly "superbug" that killed him.

The culprit, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, is a type of staph infection resistant to antibiotics.

On Thursday, Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake High School sent a student home after she told a school nurse she had been to the doctor for an infection that could be MRSA. Custodians cleaned the classrooms where the girl had been and the bus she took to school along with locker rooms and bathrooms, Superintendent Jim Schultz said. After school, the entire fleet of buses was cleaned.

From a local newspaper.

And now they're saying that we'll soon have higher death tolls due to MRSA infections, than from the AIDS virus.

I might think I actually have it as I have a nice sore bump on my nose that appears to be a pimple, but I hope it doesn't go infectious.

[edit on 19-10-2007 by Tom_Proctor]

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-10-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's amazing how many drug resistant infections and viruses have been creat - umm, I mean - popped up since 2001.

[edit on 10/22/07 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I too have had a big breakout recently and Proactiv is not helping (it usually goes away in a day or two when I use it) so I think I better go to the dermatologist to be sure its not MRSA which can often show up in the form of pimple like zits.

Of course im probably overreacting and I just happen to have a unusually bad breakout due to the stress of midterms ...

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
We have this all the time at the pen. The best way to avoid getting it is to keep yourself and your environment as clean as possible. Wash your hands frequently and if you even suspect you have it get to the doctor now.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Yep, scary stuff. Our 6yo son had what we initially thought to be a spider bite on his leg. It got worse VERY quickly (withing 36hrs) and really ended up looking like a big whitehead zit. We immediately went to the doctors office and luckily for us, it was treatable. We are hyper vigilant now about keeping the house clean and ensuring everyone's hands are washed frequently and thoroughly.

[edit on 10/23/07 by surfinguru]

top topics

join