It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Republic Is Dead"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I thought this was an amazing essay. I wanted to bring it to ATS because so many of our members are wondering "What now?"

This, at least, will clarify any gray areas if you were on the fence as to which direction America is headed and it provides a more candid perspective of how we should possibly view our current situation. I am sure some members will definitely disagree.

Please don't reply back with the standard "America is still the best place to live!" arguments - no doubt - it probably is. However, it's not what it used to be and it's not as great as it can be.

I find it particularly interesting that the essay was written by a former member of the U.S. military. My apologies if this has already been posted.

Living In An Imperial World:
www.lewrockwell.com...

This death probably occurred as we began to win the Cold War, but long before we realized we had prevailed. The professionalization of politics, of military and bureaucratic service to the state, of foreign policy making, and of business seems to have completely done in the old ideas. Simply federated, decentralized, self-depreciating government that once feared the people has self-actualized into a contemptuous, rapacious and iron-fisted murderer of freedom, and murderer of men.

...Sad to say it could have been posted in the Ancient and Lost Civilizations Forum...

[edit on 18/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I'm kicking this back up to the front page of ATS in honor of Congressman Pete Stark.

Regardless of what you may think of the man, his beliefs or his politics - he had the courage to speak truth to power. Something that not many citizens or politicians are willing to do in this country anymore, whether it is fear of retaliation or fear of negative publicity and poll numbers.

As the original OP link states, we can't be afraid to look at the corpse that is America. "The Republic is Dead." As long as we pretend it's not, we will have tyranny.

So far, only a few Patriots are willing to call it what it is: Ron Paul, Keith Olbermann, Lou Dobbs and now Pete Stark.

www.dailykos.com...

EXCERPT:

First of all, I'm just amazed they can't figure out, the Republicans are worried we can't pay for insuring an additional 10 million children. They sure don't care about finding $200 billion to fight the illegal war in Iraq. Where ya gonna get that money? You going to tell us lies like you're telling us today? Is that how you're going to fund the war? You don't have money to fund the war or children. But you're going to spend it to blow up innocent people if we can get enough kids to grow old enough for you to send to Iraq to get their heads blown off for the President's amusement. This bill would provide healthcare for 10 million children and unlike the President's own kids, these children can't see a doctor or receive necessary care. [...]

But President Bush's statements about children's health shouldn't be taken any more seriously than his lies about the war in Iraq. The truth is that Bush just likes to blow things up. In Iraq, in the United States and in Congress.

Now before everyone starts flaming...stop and think how much better our future would be in America if our politicians weren't afraid to speak their minds, weren't afraid to challenge the corporately-owned agendas of their own political parties and could actually serve as representives of the people's will.

Regardless of what you or I think of his statements, the man is a hero.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
When Webster Tarpley started his "Unauthorized Biography of George Bush"

www.tarpley.net...

making references to Caligula and some of the darkest days of the Roman Empire, I thought, goodness gracious, this seems a little far fetched. I changed my mind when I heard about the (US Army lab) anthrax that was sent to Senate Majority Leader, Tom Daschele, when he was acting too much like a representative of the American people, vis a vis the Patriot Act.

These are dark days for America and I fear that they will get darker still.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I think I'll add Naomi Wolf to that list of Patriots as well. Anybody else?

I guess it's a sad reflection of our society that ATS members don't seem to have an opinion, one way or the other, about the essay linked in the OP or even Stark's very controversial comments.

I think his comments were really not all that well thought-out but I applaud his courage and passion. I understand the over-arching point he was trying to make - Bush cares more for war than for America's children.

I wish more citizens would follow Stark's example and speak out - take a stand - about what is happening and the future of our country. Instead, most of us just buy, buy, buy and care only for our material comfort and personal gain. We suffer from media-manipulated, comfort-induced complacency.

On some level, we deserve what we are getting.

[edit on 20/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I also wanted to add how fascinating it is to watch how the Media, the Republicans and even the Democrats have been successful in marginalizing Pete Stark since his comments. Characterizing him as fringe.

What they are not saying is how much support he is getting in his own district. They have also been successful in turning the spotlight from Bush and Congress's complete abandonment of healthcare for America's middle-income children to "Crazy" Pete. A typical tactic.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Okay another Patriot, Carolyn Baker, and more opinion on this topic.

Once again, I do not fully support all of her ideology (particularly with regards to religion), but her point is well made just the same. She has many, many essays and articles, here is one:

Happy Independence Day - You Have No Government:
dailyscare.com...

Believing that we have a government and that somehow it can be resurrected and made to work for us is not only delusional, but makes the believer of the illusion part of the very problem she/he purports to solve. As Derrick Jensen notes, millions of people can be led to gas chambers if they can be made to believe that they are only going somewhere to take a shower. Of course, the illusion is much more pleasant, and as we know, Americans love pleasantries. God knows, we are sleepless enough already.

[edit on 23/10/07 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thanks to AllSeeingI for bringing this link to ATS in the Above Politics Forum:

rawstory.com...

Essentially, Chris Dodd states that warrantless wiretapping is a victory for terrorists - WELL YEAH!

Add Chris Dodd to the list of Patriots. Any one else want to add? If so, you must substantiate your claim.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The republic is dead, I agree and has been dead since the end of the conventions as forums of actual debate. There was a time in which the way we chose our candidates was more freewheeling and in which an actual dark horse could threaten the presumed nominee. That ended in 1968 with the Chicago riots and the heavy handed response to them. The 72 conventions were far less contentious and each one since has been increasingly more predictable and staged.

I fear that this upcoming primary season will be the death knell of even the attempt to nominate somebody... after it I fear we will be presented with a choice of candidates period to chose from as opposed to them running for the nomination.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

You are right. Conventions are just sound bites for a pre-fabricated agenda that has nothing to do with the will of the people as well as being very expensive, long-running commercials for pre-ordained puppets.

The current slate of candidates talk in sound bites 24/7. I am not even sure what all of these debates are accomplishing since the candiates all sound the same and are hardly distinguished from each other in ideology or plan of action.

We are in dire need of a visionary leader who is not afraid to speak the truth, no matter the polls or the consequences. Any thought on Patriots to add to the list? Thanks for responding to this thread.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
oh really?

sadly, me and my name agree with you all...
but we still have a few heros, like ron paul...all we can do is try and bring the republic back to life.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
More from Naomi Wolf...a plea for Patriots.

Also, at least there is an idication that people are waking up to what has happened to this country.

This is an open invitation to honorable patriots on the Right and in the center to join this movement to restore the rule of law and confront this horror: this is not conservatism, it is a series of crimes against the nation and against the very essence of America. Join us, we need you.

American Tears By Naomi Wolf:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think it's important to realize that BOTH Dems and Repubs got us in this mess. But it's probably only the People that will have to clean up the mess, if we can.I think it's important for all of us to not argue about political affiliations, but come together to fight this menace that is bigger than any one political party. They're taking away our country and it doesn't have to be this way. My heart breaks every time I see a U.S. flag or hear America the Beautiful, becuase I think of what we were, and I see what we have become now.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

I completely agree with you. However, I think it's ironic that the Democrats are more vocal about big government and its consolidation of power than the average Republican these days. It just goes to show that the campaign to scare the hell out of everyone with worries of terrorism is working.

It kind of blows my mind that when I find articles that stir my Patriotism and spark me to action, they are usually written by people with which I typically would not have anything in common, ideological or otherwise. I am really starting to alter my political philosophy.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Unfortunately the Dems are about as useless as the well PAC paid Reps. Men and women of high moral fiber in politics these days are like hens teeth. I believe it will take the draft for enough zombie Americans to rise out of their collective zombie shells to induce change and another party entirely.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Okay, so I am no legal eagle but I think this stinks! Has anyone heard of this yet!?

www.govtrack.us...

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
October 24, 2007
Received; read twice and referred to the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
AN ACT
To prevent homegrown terrorism, and for other purposes.

"AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES"!? Well, that's vague and open to interpretation and abuse.

`(2) VIOLENT RADICALIZATION- The term `violent radicalization' means the process of adopting or promoting an extremist belief system for the purpose of facilitating ideologically based violence to advance political, religious, or social change.

Is just "regular every day violence" not enough? We have to define it further and make it ideologically based? Why? Because it opens the door to more round-ups and prosecutions. They will IMPLY that you INTENDED violence.

The term `homegrown terrorism' means the use, planned use, or threatened use, of force or violence by a group or individual born, raised, or based and operating primarily within the United States or any possession of the United States to intimidate or coerce the United States government, the civilian population of the United States, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives.

"PLANNED USE" So, let me understand this... Is just chatting on the internet about "What would you do if..." going to be interpreted as "planned use"? It's a slipperry slope.

`(4) IDEOLOGICALLY BASED VIOLENCE- The term `ideologically based violence' means the use, planned use, or threatened use of force or violence by a group or individual to promote the group or individual's political, religious, or social beliefs.

Well that just about covers everything, doesn't it? If you don't think this is scary, you are living in a dream world. Think of how they have already abused the Patriot Act, which was supposed to protect us from foreign terror but, instead, is being used for surveillance of our own citizens.

[edit on 5/11/07 by kosmicjack]

top topics

join