It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin touts new nuclear weapons against US

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Putin touts new nuclear weapons against US

www.telegraph.co.uk

President Vladimir Putin has announced plans to build a new generation of nuclear weapons after accusing the United States of harbouring an "erotic" desire to invade Russia and steal its natural resources
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I believe it's no coincidence that the day after Bush talk's about WWIII, That Putin steps up the rhetoric. The Part that worry's me though, is personally feel like we are all way past the rhetoric stage. Things are starting to heat up folks.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-10-2007 by highfreq]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Doesn't the political bickering back and forth, and the BS threats, get a little old and tiresome?

I mean, if you're going to nuke the hell out of each other - do it and put us all out of our misery. If you're not - shut the hell up.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

To me this is very disturbing. I dont know all you people's ages, but I grew up in the height of the cold war....I surved (mandatory) in the army for 1 year and were constantly hammered with the prospect of a Russia invading Sweden, which could be a strategically attractive front to call your own, splitting the east from the west........Never mind my rambling, it just made me remeber.

edit for spelling

[edit on 18-10-2007 by Steff]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   

President Vladimir Putin has announced plans to build a new generation of nuclear weapons after accusing the United States of harbouring an "erotic" desire to invade Russia and steal its natural resources

Crazy Russians, I wonder what gives them that idea?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I think its riddiculous how the leaders of this world bicker and act like little kids. If one doesnt get his way then he throws a fit and goes to war. Its silly really. Youd think they could all be mature and move on from the threats and bickering and actually help people and the world. hmmm wouldnt that be something. I just dont understand it. People are dying and george bush and putin are playing a dangerous game of name calling. And bush talking of world war 3? That is just absolutely out of the question. Why does bush feel compelled to be at war? Why cant wise philosophical humans be our leaders instead of these greedy money grubbing 14 going on 60 insane power puppets?

Man didnt we learn anything from nam and WW2? apparently not.

Wake up.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I mean really this talk from the Russian is getting old. Did Bush really beat him that bad in a phallus measuring contest? Russia has enough nukes to wipe out humanity and we might all die from the ones they cant maintain so whats the point.
Clinton needs to go over to Russia and calm this child down because someone took his lollipop. If he would stop acting like a moron then maybe he would get his playground back.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Games without frontiers war without fears. It's a knockout. Children in a sandbox with big nasty toys.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
C'mon - It's all part of the plan, Nothing drives the economy like the never ending warmachine.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
We question our leaders when such profound statements are made. I for one feel there is much more to this behind the scenes. Whether its all a ploy for the Iranians to befriend Russia and open up could be one plausable reason. If not then this rhetoric is quite alarming. For a leader to mention the possibility of World War 3 is quite significant, there was a change in Bush's tone. Not only this but Putin met with Rice before the trip and also Ehud Olmert after his trip to Iran. Something is going on i expect that we, the public are unaware of. As far as a new gen of nuclear weapons are concerned i think these claims are futile as deterant is already in place further enhancing it makes no difference...

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
This kind of talk is never good.

I have to wonder what is going through Bush Co's minds with statements like this. If they ( government ) already have an agenda, how is all this playing in it.

Many think Bush is going after Iran, if this is so.... obstacles like Russia are hard to get around. Not only are they 'protecting' Iran now, it would seem they are coming up with their own agenda.

I feel all the talk and threats are going to come to a breaking point, when this happens... I can't think of any safe place to be.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The whole article and its very name are misleading.

Surprisingly, CNN has a correct version of what Putin said and what caused his remarks. I speak Russian and I confirm this is a correct translation of what he said during his talk to the Russian people:

Speaking during an annual televised question-and-answer session, Putin was asked by a mechanic from the Siberian city of Novosibirsk for his thoughts on comments made several years ago by former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, who suggested that Siberia had too many natural resources to belong to one country.

"I know that some politicians play with such ideas in their heads. This, in my view, is the sort of political erotica that might satisfy a person but hardly leads to a positive result," Putin responded.

"The best example of that are the events in Iraq -- a small country that can hardly defend itself and which possesses huge oil reserves. And we see what's going on there. They've learned to shoot there but they are not managing to bring order.

"One can wipe off a political map some tyrannical regime ... but it's absolutely pointless to fight with a people," he said. "Russia, thank God, isn't Iraq. It has enough strength and power to defend itself and its interests, both on its territory and in other parts of the world."

www.cnn.com...

I see no aggressiveness in his speech. It's looks more like a speech of a strong leader who is taking a good care of his nation. And Russian people feel this very well.

[edit on 19-10-2007 by Leevi]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Russia...US...Iran

If you want to watch a worst-case hypothetical scenario on a breakdown of diplomatic talks and the resulting escalation in the use of even one nuclear weapon, then I recommend you watch this...

Threads

Possibly the most comprehensive and scariest depiction of such a situation

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
"Erotic desire"? I guess we can't hide it anymore. We want you BAD Russia, you sexy nation you. It started when we began ordering your women over the internet, but we want more. We want it all.

Bom Chicka Wah Wah

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
GUYS THINK ABOUT IT IF BUSH AND PUTIN SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF EVERYBODY THEN THEY CAN BOTH GO TO CONGRESS OR THE KREMLIN AND SAY HEY LOOK WITH HAVE TO BUILD UP OUR MILITARY BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.JUST Look at who stands to gain if the cold war went back full steam. locheed raytheon mig just too name afew.we are as likely to go to war with china or russia as we are to have civil war2. in other words not likely.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to make of this yet, but for me one thing stood out.

"The best examples of that are the events in Iraq, a small country that could hardly defend itself but which possesses massive oil reserves."

This from a country that invaded Afghanistan in 1980.

I don't support what we are doing over there, but this is like the pot calling the kettle black.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well, the development of new nuclear weapons would be in direct violation of numerous treaties between the United States, Russia and the rest of the world. America is in the process of decommissioning many of their nuclear weapons (although many still remain).

I thought that Putin was on his way out of the Kremlin anyways...

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
To be honest, I have never trusted Putin. There is just something about the man that makes me shiver and quiver.. It has been that way from when he first took office in Russia; the guy seems shifty to me.

However, with that being said, I think Leevi is probably the voice of reason here. America, to my knowledge, hasn't made any priori comments about invading Russia. It'll never happen.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Leevi

what are the chances that the media mistranslated Putin on purpose?

Bush is out of line letting himself get baited also by media questioning. by spouting off on ww3 he may as well as said yeah we're going after Iran next!

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Fact of the matter is, Putin is acting a lot like Bush is in many ways.

I despise Bush, but I dislike Putin too, but not on a personal level.

I agree with SpeakerOfTruth, Putin has always scared me. He is smart, very smart, but there is something suspicious about him.

Putin is saying things to stir up conflict, much like Bush, making claims he cannot back up enough.

I am very fearful of things to come...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join