It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the oldest UFO photograph ever taken

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

There were a few well documented mass sightings in history actually, on in nurembourg in 1570 or thereabouts and lots more documented before that, obviously they had no idea how to describe these objects, but some have been documented in art.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

At the risk of promoting something that is more fancy than fact, I happened to come upon this site looking for augelblitz which was on the foo pic.

www.naziufos.com...

Old magazine covers, drawings and other 'stuff'. Again, most of this is speculation and drawings. A curio, more than 'evidence' of anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Well, it could be anything or nothing. It is of no value whatsoever as evidence of anything.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Did Edison invent photography back then.

Tesla would have known of the suspension technique and sought
to patent the mechanism and had to do it in parts.

Yes, people other than Tesla knew and were flying around and
thats why they knew what he was up to.

You will see.... you will agree with me.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

At the risk of promoting something that is more fancy than fact, I happened to come upon this site looking for augelblitz which was on the foo pic.

www.naziufos.com...

Old magazine covers, drawings and other 'stuff'. Again, most of this is speculation and drawings. A curio, more than 'evidence' of anything.

Henry Stevens goes into all those Hitler disc planes.

The mechanism of levitation is due to ac charging around the craft.
Electrons surround the craft as a charge imbalance is created by a
vertical anode that draws more electrons toward the craft making an
imbalance and lift.
Twelve side anodes provide horizontal flight, in saucer.
Good for zig zagging flight patterns...saucer piloting is such fun.

Any old saucer pilots on ATS?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicstorm
very interesting i like the older pics more

Heres some good older pics:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Cheers Karl
P.S. Like the avatar,is that you?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Why has no one stated the obvious? It looks like a misdated photo of a German Airship. Is that a swastika?

Just my two cents

~Hyp

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a theory could be that the photo is of the wind-blowing the snow on the moutain, and the 'cigar shaped object' could be a rock poking through the top of the snow,
it certainly seems to cast no shadow anyway, suggesting it would be on ground,
or that the visibility is way too poor (which cant be true as the photo was taken fine)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by cosmicstorm
very interesting i like the older pics more

Heres some good older pics:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Cheers Karl
P.S. Like the avatar,is that you?

I hear ya karl12 going to that link.

Do girl avatars mean the poster is a guy with a special chick in mind
or a chick projecting her image.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smugallo
i'm actually struggling with the backround of the photo or to imagine where the camera is pointing, is it from the mountain towards the sky, i'm not sure. it' a confusing photo definately

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Yeah, there appears to be clouds at the top of the picture so I think its taken from the bottom of the mountain

Originally posted by lost_shaman
It's a picture of a fence post poking through a wind-blown snow bank.

A couple things I can tell you for sure
(because I have been on top of Mt. Washington a few times)

1.When you are on top of Mt. Washington, you are often looking DOWN at the clouds, due to the heigth of it's summit and the way the mountains east of it cause low lying cloud formations.

2.There are no fences or mailboxes at the TOP of this mountain.
There IS a weather observatory, however until 1932 the human impact at the summit was limited to a single small building, nothing like the weather observatory and visitor station found there today.

From wiki (so that it can be verified)
Mount Washington is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft (1,917 m).
It is famous for its dangerously erratic weather, holding the record for the highest wind gust directly measured at the Earth's surface, at 231 mph (372 km/h) on the afternoon of April 12, 1934.

Mount Washington's official record low of −50 °F (−45.6 °C) was recorded on January 22, 1885.
However, there is also hand-written evidence to suggest that an unofficial low of −59 °F (−50.6 °C) occurred on January 5, 1871.

I have been there in the middle of july made a snowball, and put it in my cooler to throw at a family member when I returned home

Hope this helps to shed a little light on what you are looking at here.
Mt. Washington is not your average mountain.
(at least not for this part of the U.S.)

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
OK I can shed just a little light here. I have a close friend who has seen one of these things in the (bright blue & sunny) sky right above the village where I used to live. Her response to seeing this image:
"thats exactly like it, to a T, only mine had a flame at one end."

She said it was moving slowly across the sky and saw it with her mother, accompanied by a sense of dread that her mother didnt share. The flow of time seemed to feel different somehow, and all of a sudden noone was around, which itself was unusual. I personally trust her account as gospel.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
[B]THIS IS NOT AN IMAGE OF A UFO[/B]
I stumbled upon this image during routine research and could not let the assertion that this is a UFO go unchallenged. First, I am an expert on both Mt. Washington and stereoviews of the White Mountain region of New Hampshire. I am also a climber who has summited Mt. Washington numerous times in all seasons including winter. In other words, I am probably uniquely qualified to debunk this.

[B]BACKGROUND[/B]
1. The image depicting a supposed UFO is a heavily-cropped portion of a genuine stereoview from the winter of 1870-1871 by photographers A F. Clough and H.A. Kimball. Cropping removes key contextual information, which would immediately disprove this as a UFO photo (sorry believers, you've been suckered).

2. From Nov 1870 to May 1871, a small group of men from the US Army Signal Corps were stationed on the summit to make scientific observations and to study the feasibility of manning the summit year-round. Their measurements were telegraphed daily and there was great public interest in this adventure. Clough and Kimball were two NH photographers who visited the observers and made a number of interesting images which were distributed widely.

3. This expedition was documented in a book called "Mount Washington in Winter" by Hitchcock which describes their research and the difficult daily life and living conditions. They did not witness any UFOs or paranormal events.

4. Contrary to another poster's assertion, there were a number of structures on the summit at this time including two hotels, staff quarters, two stables, a newspaper printing office, stage office, train shed for the Cog Railway, water tanks, and other assorted outbuildings. There never were any wooden fences or mailboxes, though. Most of these structures burned in the Great Fire of 1908.

5. Mt Washington is famous for its ferocious weather especially wind - the fastest on Earth. Anything not built of stone/cement or securely cabled will blow away. Wind sculpts snow and ice and rime ice forms of all surfaces exposed to it. These formations can appear milky and cloud-like. Interesting ice and snow formations were popular subjects of White Mountain stereoviews.

6. In wintry conditions on a mountain, ground, sky, and clouds can all blend together. This can have a disorienting effect on observers and climbers and it can be difficult or impossible to scale objects properly. This is why viewing a cropped image might lead some people to think they are looking at clouds.

7. I own one of these images and have seen several others. The "mystery" object is present in the original photograph and has not been caused by retouching, camera trickery, or damage.

[B]WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?[/B]
In the foreground are frost formations on a cairn just below the summit of Washington on a day with high overcast. (A cairn is a pile of rocks used to mark a route in featureless terrain such as that found above treeline). This is a very close photo. The "mystery" object is only a few inches long. There is a clear demarcation between ground and sky in the background on what was a rare winter day with moderate visibility.The background below the horizon line is wind-sculpted ice and snow, not clouds. There are no puffy clouds at all in fact.

[B]WHAT IS THE MYSTERY OBJECT?[/B]
Using a stereoscope or magnifying glass and with some familiarity of the gear a scientist of this period would use, it becomes clear that the object is a wooden "standard". That's just a fancy name for a ruler which shows scale in a photo. Yes, it is that boring. No mystery zeppelins here.

[B]CONCLUSION[B]
Instead of a UFO photograph, what you have is clever marketing by an eBayer with a run-of-the-mill stereoview showing simple frost work. In fact, this is not even a particularly rare example.

Questions or comments? [B]evilhanz@hotmail.com[/B]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
THIS IS NOT AN IMAGE OF A UFO
I stumbled across this image and could not let the assertion that this is a UFO go unchallenged. I am probably uniquely qualified to debunk this as an expert on both Mt. Washington and stereoviews of the White Mountain region of New Hampshire. I'm also a climber who has summited Mt Washington many times in all seasons including winter.

BACKGROUND
1. The image is a heavily-cropped portion of a genuine stereoview taken during the winter of 1870-1871 by photographers A F. Clough and H.A. Kimball. Cropping has removed key contextual information, which would immediately disprove this as a UFO photo.

2. From Nov 1870 to May 1871, an expedition under the US Army Signal Corps spent the winter on Mt Washington making scientific observations. There was great public interest in this adventure and their exploits were telegraphed daily. Clough and Kimball were two NH photographers attached to the expedition who made many interesting images which were distributed widely.

3. This expedition was documented in a book called "Mount Washington in Winter". It describes their research and the difficult living conditions in one of the world's most extreme environments. No UFOs or paranormal events were documented. Read it yourself here: books.google.com...

4. There were a number of structures on the summit at this time including two hotels, and the train depot where the observers overwintered. No wooden fences as these would blow away

5. Mt Washington is famous for its ferocious weather especially wind which sculpts snow and ice creating strange and beautiful formations which were common subjects of White Mountain stereoviews. Rime ice forms on all vertical surfaces exposed to wind and can appear milky or cloud-like.

6. In wintry conditions, ground, sky, and clouds can all blend together creating a disorienting effect on observers and climbers and it can be difficult or impossible to scale objects properly. This is why viewing a cropped image might lead some people to think they are looking at clouds.

7. I own one of these images and have seen several others. The "mystery" object is present in the original photograph and has not been caused by retouching, camera trickery, or damage.

THE ORIGINAL IMAGE

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?
In the foreground are frost formations on Lizzie Bourne's cairn, just below the summit of Washington on a day with high overcast. (A cairn is a purpose-built pile of rocks). This is a very close photo. The "mystery" object is only a few inches long. There is a clear demarcation between ground and sky in the background on what was a rare winter day with moderate visibility. The background below the horizon line is wind-sculpted ice and snow, not clouds.

WHAT IS THE MYSTERY OBJECT?
Using a period stereoscope or magnifying glass and/or having some familiarity with the gear and/or process a scientist would use, it is perfectly clear that the object is a wooden "standard". That's just a fancy name for a ruler, in this case, a folding ruler. Expedition members carried them to make observations like snow depth, rime accumulation, etc. They even complained about losing or breaking them in poor weather. You are looking at a ruler placed on a snow-covered cairn to scale an object in featureless terrain. Yes, it is that boring. No mystery zeppelins here. Sorry believers, it's another hoax.

Here are a few examples of folding rulers from about this period:

CONCLUSION
This is not a UFO. What you have is a not-so-clever crop of a real image by an unscrupulous person perpetuating the UFO myth. The person who cropped it probably thought he was looking at something unique, but this photo is not even especially rare.

[edit on 26-12-2008 by atc_eh]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   

*Warning* "See man inside FOO" link will try to make a registry change on your computer! Right after I clicked it I got a popup warning from my computers security, that there was an attempted registry entry change! It failed of course...

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by atc_eh

Brilliant work. Welcome to you atc_eh.

Stick around (punn intended!) we could use a mind like yours here.

Thanks for the information and the background on this probably now debunked picture.

Excellent work.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Brilliant Work!!! Honestly!

I started this post ages ago, it's good to see someone give it some closure!! Star from me indeedy!

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by atc_eh

Talk about debunked. Kind of funny how this is considered one of the best UFO pictures of all time on some sites...You killed it.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I'm in shock and awe of this photograph. This is the greatest thing I've ever seen. Where are the debunkers now?! They've got nothing on this one. Undeniable proof of alien craft.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NASA is ASAN

Sarcasm, I presume?

A ruler. Even in the 1800's, they managed to trick us with rulers...
I bet someone in the fourth dimension is laughing his enlightened ass off.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Wanna see alien ufos in your skies.

since only 2 more years to go for 2012, interventionist races are now making themselves visible more easily.

Search google on how to "MAKE A CALL".

EVERYONE CAN DO IT !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join