It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the oldest UFO photograph ever taken

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   

1870-Mt. Washington, New Hampshire. This photo is dubbed, "the oldest UFO photograph ever taken." This item was the subject of bidding at Ebay in 2002, when finally the photo was purchased for $385.00 by Samuel M. Sherman, who was the president of Independent-International Pictures Corp. This was originally a "stereo" photograph. Certainly it was difficult to manipulate photos at that time, and remember, there were no flying objects then; at least, not from this world.

Strange one to think about!

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
A great photo. Funny how it is a lot clearer than some of the photos that are taken in recent times?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yup! and like the source said, there were no man made flying machies back then, perhaps the first photographed cigar shaped UFO, i'm actually struggling with the backround of the photo or to imagine where the camera is pointing, is it from the mountain towards the sky, i'm not sure. it' a confusing photo definately

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Smugallo

Yeah, there appears to be clouds at the top of the picture so I think its taken from the bottom of the mountain

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
A great photo. Funny how it is a lot clearer than some of the photos that are taken in recent times?

Rather than trying to capture a pixillated image on a tiny light sensitive chip, some of those old cameras were capturing analog waves of photons on chemically treated light-sensitive sheets of glass 12 inches square. That kind of resolution is rarely found these days.

It is curious, though, that the image is not nearly as blurred as one would expect, considering the slow shutter speeds common for the time. Along with the thing being a possible real airship, I wonder if it might not be as old as purported.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Dug up some more info on this picture..

This photograph depicts a cloud formation over the summit of Mt. Washington in the Winter of 1870 - 1871 - along with an added surprise! One can see a cigar shaped object. This could possibly be the earliest photograph of a UFO. The image is part of an antique stereoview. The description reads "SUMMIT Mt. Washington WINTER 1870-1871 Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1871, by CLOGH & KIMBALL, in the Office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington." (UFOArtwork.com)

According to the the picture was taken at the summit?

a little more info..

The
photograph is a winter 1870 stereo (3-D) view of clouds over
Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Plainly and sharply visible
in the photo is a long cigar-like object. Since this is before
known manned flight (with the exception of balloons - which
this is not) the object will have to be ruled as a solid
Unidentified Flying Object. Structure to this solid object is
clearly and sharply seen in some detail as is the reflection of
the sun off the object. The stereo view presents two images
(for right and left eye) which will be helpful in further
analysis of it. Sherman reported that due to the sharpness of
the image it will lend itself to further copying and
enlargement for study. Sherman also stated that this photograph
will not be locked up in some collection, but will be submitted
to scientists for detailed analysis and the results made
available to the public, which he says wants answers to the UFO
mystery.

Pretty cool, a 3d stereo ima ge of UFO, better quality than most of todays pictures like you said!

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Apparantly the date on this one is controversial, It was either shot in 1870, 1880 or 1896, depending on the source, or so i've read anyways.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
$385.00.

For a photo taken in 1870.

My Lord....

If it were real, it would be
COVETED !!!

Someone got ripped off.

Geez,
Lex

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The first hot air balloon rose 1,800 m (6,000 ft) on June 5, 1783.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

The french officers' Charles Renard and Arthur Krebs LA FRANCE airship made the first fully controllable free-flight the 9 August 1884. It was the first full circle flight with landing on the starting point. The astronomer Jules Janssen took this photo from his Meudon (France) astrophysic observatory in 1885. One said LA FRANCE airship was the mythical Flying Dutchman vessel realized

[edit on 18-10-2007 by Clownshoes]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
To me that picture looks fake,

Looks like someone taken a picture of some clouds and marked it with a permanent marker for the ufo.

Look at the top middle to right, its looks like a pen line.
Rest of the object looks like a work of permanent marker.

[edit on 10/19/07 by Files]

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Files
I'm going to blowup the image and show you what talking about in a later posting.

A good, high-resolution scan of the stereopticon version would be nice, if it's available. It might offer some relative clue as to just how big and far away this thing is supposed to be, although since there are no foreground objects in the photo to judge distance, it still might not be that enlightening. Could be a Chinese kite, or a big weather box kite like this one from 1915:

Of course, we all know what a photo is worth as far as proof goes, no matter when it was supposedly taken. Not a whole lot.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I can't seem to find anything else regarding this picture, let alone a high resolution picture, worth a dig though..

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It's a picture of a fence post poking through a wind-blown snow bank.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Oookay.... apart from that theory, anyone else have any information on this picture?

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Nah, I'm digging that theory. It does look like a mailbox post sticking out of a snowbank. I'm not saying it is, but, what's a greater stretch? A mailbox post in a snowbank, or a cigar-shaped UFO, standing still, while the 10 minute + process of taking a stereo picture of it proceeds.

I'd also go with smudged with a bit of ink.

My $.02
Cuhail

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Files

Now you say it... I have to agree. It does look very much like the mark from a permanent marker.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Well Files theory was that it was violated with a permanent marker
and hats off, it does look like that! There is literally no way to verify this one at all. When it was taken, who was it taken by, and basically no poin of reference apart from 'a view of the clouds above Mount Washington'

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'd really like to see the stereographic version. Being able to analyze both views will go a long way towards analyzing the depth.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
[/img]

I always thought the McMinnville photos were of the first UFO pics,but this well predates that,very interesting.
Never seen before,cheers

It looks quite genuine and a classic Cigar shape,I can almost see the port holes for the probes.
Reminds me of the Adamski mothership photos,they look see through and not solid matter,yet huge and metallic?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join