It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traffic Stop Yields 500+ Pounds Of Cocaine

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Traffic Stop Yields 500+ Pounds Of Cocaine

www.myfoxkc.com

Sheriff's deputies arrested William Garcia and Nestro Ramires. The men are being held at the Franklin County Detention Center on suspicion of Distribution of Cocaine and No Drug Tax Stamp. Charges are pending.
(visit the link for the full news article)

apc

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I selected this paragraph for the snippit because I had never heard of this. A Drug Tax Stamp?! I looked it up and found this...

www.ksrevenue.org...
The drug tax is due as soon as the dealer takes possession of the marijuana or controlled substance. Payment of the drug tax will purchase the drug tax stamps. Attach the stamp to the marijuana and/or controlled substance immediately after receiving the substance. The stamps are valid for 3 months. Drugs seized without stamps or having expired stamps may result in criminal or civil penalties which may include fines, seizure of property or liens against real estate.

I think I should laugh but I'm too dumbfounded!

www.myfoxkc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Yeah, that's pretty common knowledge in the medical cannabis community.

The problem is, try applying for the stamp and see who comes knocking at your door at 5:00 a.m. with a warrant signed by a federal judge.

apc

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here's what KS says in their FAQ

Do I have to provide my name and address when purchasing drug tax stamps?
No. KDOR sells drug tax stamps without asking for any identification, demographic information, e.g. name, social security number. KDOR associates cannot share any information relating to drug tax stamp purchases with anyone, including law enforcement agencies.

That doesn't rule out a camera staring at the dealer when they purchase the stamps. If they have a record it is entirely possible for modern facial recognition technology to identify them, however a competent lawyer could easily get the charges thrown out if the purchase of the stamps could be shown to be the source of identification.

I just think it's hilarious that one of the arguments in the legalization debate is taxation... Well it looks like in KS and "roughly 10 states" illegal drugs are already being taxed!

Why tax illegal drugs?
There are two reasons why illegal drugs are taxed:

* Taxing the Underground Economy - The fact that the business of dealing marijuana and controlled substances is illegal does not exempt it from taxation. Legitimate business transactions are taxed. Dealing drugs is a large part of a previously untaxed underground economy.
* Providing a Source of Revenue - 25% of drug tax collections are allocated to the State's General Fund.

This could also be applied to the tobacco debate... it wouldn't matter if it were made illegal because it would still be taxed.

The irony of this whole matter just has me rolling... on the floor that is.

[edit on 18-10-2007 by apc]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Here's what NORML has to say about the marijuana tax stamp laws (in part):

Because of this widespread noncompliance, drug tax stamps – unlike so-called “sin taxes” on alcohol or tobacco – do not collect state tax revenue at the customer’s “point of purchase.” Rather, the legislative intent of drug tax laws is to impose an additional penalty – tax evasion – upon drug offenders after they are arrested and criminally charged with a drug violation.

norml.org...

Just decriminalize it all, regulate it all, and tax it all at point of sale, for the love of pasta. :shk:

apc

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I don't know about alcohol but tobacco is taxed in the same manner. The stamps on the bottom of each pack are already paid for and the thef^H^H^H^Hexpense is recovered at the sale.

The ironic hypocrisy of taxation on illegal substances is really pushing the edge of conspiracy to commit. Makes the State complicit as they profit directly from an illegal activity.

>
What's next? Expecting prostitutes to turn in 1099s?

[edit on 18-10-2007 by apc]

top topics

join