It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basic survival botanics!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ok guys, I was reading about this plant in island which has both anesthetic and nutritious properties. I thought I would be a good idea to catch up on my survival botanics and ask the experts here if they now any widely spread medicinal plants. Nothing to complicated just the basics if you have any e-books they would be appreciated!
I know that cinnamon cloves are good for toothaches and honey and garlic have very mild antibiotic properties. But that’s as far as my knowledge goes on this.
As a side note, I´m finding myself more and more involved into survival topics as I am quite afraid that the world we live in has become quite volatile and could change any day for the worst. As a parent I have no other option but to be prepared, I thank all you guys for helping me and others out like you do!

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Dark,
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the notion that we are living in troubled times. Strange days have found us..
Although I do not personally know alot about botany and the useful plants in your area, I know a bit about the ones around me, and I do believe that you are on the right track as it is far better to be prepared than to wait until the last minute.

The first thing that would help us help you in your quest would be to give us a little detail on the climate area that you live in, whether it be alpine, temperate, tropical, or any other, since most vegetation is limited by area, topography and seasonal changes. Stuff that may be abundant where you live might not flourish in other areas, so that is very important.

Here are a couple that I am used to: (disclaimer... use at your own risk)

Cattail:
Chopping the root of the cattail and applying to minor cuts and burns can provide remedy for light abrasions, or grinding the root and boiling into a steep (or stew) may help gastrointestinal problems, like diarrhea or worms/

Dandelions:
Very common in the many parts of the globe, this common lawn pest can be used for a variety of things, such as; Root of dandelion tea was used as a laxative, diuretic and laxative, and it may be used to rejuvenate the liver (speculative) and aid in digestion and improve appetite.

It just all depends on your surroundings and what is abundant near you. Research, talk to the locals, remember that the elders were doing this long before us. This is pretty much my first post in the survival area here, so take it as what you will.... and hope to see you around.
Good luck in your search,

T.

apc

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I grow spearmint, sage, and rosemary for their medicinal properties. Spearmint is good for a wide range of uses including antiseptic, bruises, and digestive problems. Sage for much of the same as spearmint, however I mainly use it to clear my sinuses. Crushed it's just like eucalyptus (menthol). A cutting dropped into hot tea tastes pretty good, too. Rosemary is a strong antioxidant and I marinade my steaks with it to break down carcinogens. It can also be used to trigger a miscarriage (abortion).

Here's something of an ebook I have mirrored locally. A lot of other good information here:

www.wilderness-survival.net...

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
You can download a ton of pictures and books on medicinal herbs for free at www.swsbm.com...
Hope this helps a lot of you. I followed a link there a few days ago and been downloading ever since.

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I know Samphire is very high in Iron and vits. Suppose most things very dark green are the same (seaweed etc) although I would only eat these things on advice.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ok guys thanks for all the replies! By the way I currently live in the city of Bogotá in Colombia. Its 2600m over sea level and fair weathered (never under 0
Celcius and almost never over 30 celcius). It rains quite often and depending if you go up or downhill it can get very cold or very warm depending on which you choose.
I've been reading allot of e-books but my problem is that I can't find any specifics for this region.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Take a look at the indigenous plants , herbs and even barks from around your local vicinity. Usually everything you need you can find within a 20 mile radius of your home. It is also better for immunity health as the pollens are specific to your region. These give you natural immunities to various problems and many work profilactically to maintain good strong health. Check with your local organic farmers and also get to know the owners of your local health food stores and let them know your thoughts. You will end up with an entire network of like minded conscious people to draw upon. Good Mom!

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I think the most important thing people can do is practice planting those herbs that they talk about using. Most people don't even know how to plant a garden, but anyone can do it inexpensively. If you live in an apartment, grow plants in planters... herbs that you could use for medicinal purposes or fo cooking. Buy a box planter and some garden soil and they start. It's also therapeutic for some people to garden... even just in a box.

In Paraguay they have "remedio jyju", root medicines for everything under the sun.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Marijuana is a nutritious, pain-killing, and anti-depressant form of currency when TSHTF. Who is going to want gold or cash?

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
So, I've decided to plant some herbs on sunday and start small stash of palnts that could be usefull. I'll post more stuff and pics soon so stay tuned.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anubis Kanubis

Marijuana is nutritious?? What vitamins are in it?

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
For those in an urban environment, check out wildman Steve Brill, he can tell you about eatable things you can find at your local park, especially a large park.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Check out 'RAY MEARS'
I heard a funny about him thats so harsh true.

''If he just lives on nuts and berries,why's he so fat''?

This guy is the ultimate 'everyday joe's' survivalist.
Forget about how to hunt a camel or crocodile.
He's spent his life researching edible and medicinal plants.

This is my own personal 'bible' though

www.pfaf.org...

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by julesmac8
reply to post by Anubis Kanubis

Marijuana is nutritious?? What vitamins are in it?

normal hemp is nutritious, eating grass could be used for medical purposes of course, not so much as a part of a daily diet.

see

rexresearch.com/hhusb/hmphlth.htm#hhl3

Hempseed contains all the essential amino acids and fatty acids, and is considered to be a complete food. The seed or achene contains 26-31% crude protein, 65% of which is globular edestin and albumin that is about 84% digestible. Lysine (the limiting protein in edestin) and other components are destroyed by the heat generated when hempseed is pressed for its oil. Addition of 1% lysine hydrochloride will restore the nutritional balance of heat-treated edestin. The meal also contains about 6% carbohydrates, 5-10% fat, 12% crude fiber, 10% moisture, and 7% ash. (100, 101)

new topics

top topics

join