It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This one's for Colonel!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
This is just sick and wrong. According to the Orlando Sentinel, a Florida city that tried to hold a celebrity slave auction to raise money for a downtown revitalization effort.

Thankfully, it was stopped, but man, talk about let's help our african-american brothers by making fun of one of the darkest things in our great nation...

A Leesburg spokeswoman named Marilyn Davenport printed up fliers promising that the "The Slave you buy (at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast) will provide drinks and dinner!"

T.H. Poole, president emeritus of the local NAACP, said "You raise oppression up to a people who were oppressed for 200 years, and you're going to make a joke out of it? There's a difficulty in viewing how they thought that up," Poole said. "It seems simple. But it's a trouble-maker."

So, yeah, I'm sorry friends, I did give Colonel some new ammo, but this is just wrong, none the less.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Oh man...what Einstein thought this was a good idea...hehe....
Oh boy....:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Without seeing the context & promotional material, it just seems like a overly PC response.

- Blacks were the only slaves? Especially taking into consideration Florida, you've got recent slaves living there now. Ask any Mestito or Indio what it was like working the lands of El Patron.

- Celeb Auction....what, folks thought they'd be working the back 40?

Stupid wording, true enough, but no outrage.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"She had designed the fliers to publicize a fund-raising event. She wanted regular people to bid as much as they could to buy dinner and drinks with a local celebrity. In exchange for the purchase, the celebrity would take them to dinner"

What's the matter with that? What do they want her to call this event? Did you notice who the first person to take offense was?

I swear you can't say anything anymore without somebody calling you a racist

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus
"She had designed the fliers to publicize a fund-raising event. She wanted regular people to bid as much as they could to buy dinner and drinks with a local celebrity. In exchange for the purchase, the celebrity would take them to dinner"

What's the matter with that? What do they want her to call this event? Did you notice who the first person to take offense was?

I swear you can't say anything anymore without somebody calling you a racist

exactly

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This one seemed a bit off base, to me. Normally I'd go along with that 100%, but holding a slave sale to help out the downtown area. I think the termanology was poorly chosen.

However, would I say they couldn't say it? NEVER! It's because people can say stuff like that and much much worse that David Duke was laughed all the way back home!

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I think the termanology was poorly chosen.

slave-
noun: a person who is owned by someone
noun: someone who works as hard as a slave
noun: someone entirely dominated by some influence or person (Example: "A slave to fashion")
verb: work very hard, like a slave

I don't think the terminology was wrong at all.....I think it's an issue because that black guy made it one

[Edited on 1/26/2004 by Venus]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Look, the fact is, is that no one would think a "Holocaust for the Homeless" idea would be a good one. This is purely hypothetical, but I can only assume that they would make a fake work camp to remodel a rundown urban area.

The jews would be running for their lawyers office in 3 secs flat.

The fact is that slavery in the context of America, is such that white people bought, sold, killed, beat, mutilated, and destroied family trees for generations for their own financial asparations.

Flat out. It's not funny, or a joke or anything else and I am as white as they come.

Would it have been so hard to use a different word? NO

So why not? Why use a word that will blatently offend so many people.

It's idiocy

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I don't think the terminology was wrong at all.....I think it's an issue because that black guy made it one

people have the right to hold celebrity slave auctions and people have the right to get offended by them...it was stopped so the people holding it took notice that some people were obviously offended by it with at least some good reason. life goes on.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
This is just sick and wrong. According to the Orlando Sentinel, a Florida city that tried to hold a celebrity slave auction to raise money for a downtown revitalization effort.

Thankfully, it was stopped, but man, talk about let's help our african-american brothers by making fun of one of the darkest things in our great nation...

A Leesburg spokeswoman named Marilyn Davenport printed up fliers promising that the "The Slave you buy (at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast) will provide drinks and dinner!"

T.H. Poole, president emeritus of the local NAACP, said "You raise oppression up to a people who were oppressed for 200 years, and you're going to make a joke out of it? There's a difficulty in viewing how they thought that up," Poole said. "It seems simple. But it's a trouble-maker."

So, yeah, I'm sorry friends, I did give Colonel some new ammo, but this is just wrong, none the less.

This is just par for the course in Bush's America.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
That's it ??? I feel somewhat disappointed, hehe....

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
That's it ??? I feel somewhat disappointed, hehe....

Well, sorry?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Look, the fact is, is that no one would think a "Holocaust for the Homeless" idea would be a good one. This is purely hypothetical, but I can only assume that they would make a fake work camp to remodel a rundown urban area.

The jews would be running for their lawyers office in 3 secs flat.

The fact is that slavery in the context of America, is such that white people bought, sold, killed, beat, mutilated, and destroied family trees for generations for their own financial asparations.

Flat out. It's not funny, or a joke or anything else and I am as white as they come.

Would it have been so hard to use a different word? NO

So why not? Why use a word that will blatently offend so many people.

It's idiocy

NO....YOU LOOK! This is the type of situation that makes me want to scream. "Slave Auctions" are fund raising events that happen everyday across America. I could see people getting upset if the only "slaves" being auctioned were black and they were forced into this event. This woman, who I assume is white, meant NOTHING by this title for her fundraising event, but yet APOLOGIZED for it. That is outragous:bash: There are too many times when these kinds of things are taken completely out of context and made into a racial situation. I showed my friend here at work (who happens to be 100% black) this thread and she agreed that this is crazy. She also informed me that her own family owned slaves. She herself participated in a slave auction in high school.

By the way.......what would YOU name this kind of event

Hi Colonel!

I'm sure we disagree on this one but, thanks for not jumping my #

[Edited on 1/27/2004 by Venus]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The people who came up with this were idiots. They knew it would be recieved wrong, slavery is a touchy issue.

Also, the people who are attacking them because of it are idiots. They keep perpetuating 'should-be-dead' issue.

Overall, just a bunch of idiots.(in a political discussion, go figure)

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hi Venus!

Well, I really didn't think this was a big deal. The fraternities/sororities auctioned their members when Iwas in college. I thought it was stupid but, it wasn't enough for me to care.

new topics

top topics

join