It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have to be subjected to Infomercials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Seriously why is it I have to be subjected daily to the rantings of Kevin Trudeau and people like him? I just don't get it Janet Jackson shows a tit on National T.V. and everyone is up in arms, these people get on T.V. with just about every kind of scam you can possibly imagine and get away with it profiting off the already suffering and miserable. What makes it even more ridiculous is the Television Stations that are even more contemptable for even agreeing to air it.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 05:08 AM
link   
damn.
all this time i have been turning the channel. seems to work for me

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Heh. When my ex got here from Europe, he'd never seen infomercials (they weren't there at the time. I hear they are now).

We'd spend Sunday morning watching the hype like it was a sporting event, coffee and donuts and all.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

When you don't have cable they are on every station all at the same time so you have no choice but to watch one. And actually more complaining about the ones that are obviously using bad buisness practices not the ones that are actually selling a genuine product.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

It's all about the $$$. If you don't have cable (or satellite), then you have "free tv". The stations have to sell time to be able to operate. The infomercials fill blocks of time very profitably for the stations that air them. The "legit" (or I should say "mainstream") advertisers aren't exactly lining up to buy time during the off-hour periods. It's a tradeoff. Something's got to pay the bills, so infomercials fill a need.

Even PBS has their Pledge Drive time which does often include some pretty good programming, but it's interrupted with extended breaks for soliciting donation.

But yeah, informercials aren't exactly brain food. I recommend a library card. Not as a flippant answer, but as a real alternative. Even web browsing has its limits. If there's a subject (or author) that really trips your trigger, get a stack of books about it from the local library and use the infomercial time to do some real reading.

-OR- do the reading as a primary activity and hit the boob tube sparingly.

[And I waste as much time as anyone watching TV, but I've got the luxury of cable & a remote so I almost never see any kind of commercial. Flip-flip-flip].

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong i understand it is all about money, and I do read quite often, however last night just got to the point where I felt the need to complain about it.Alot of times wheni read I have the TV on as background noise. And while I don't like the idea of government clamping down on Television or any media whatsoever personally feel that something should be done about these guys who are constantly selling this trash and ripping off consumers at large.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
But how else would the world find out about the Swivel Sweeper? Every household needs one of those invaluable cheap plastic contraptions that break in a couple of weeks. Yeah! I mean c'mon when you watch that infomercial, that guy is so excited! You'd think that that swivel sweeper could perform an apendectomy in an emergency situation.
Or like I would never know that an Oreck vacuum weighs only 8 pounds without that infomercial. That's some useful information!
Wait! I have to know that Oxy Clean cleans with the power of Oxygen! Man who woulda thought?

I think the cable companies should start a channel call the infomercial channel! Yeah! That way I can watch it all day and all night 7 days a week, and order lot's of really cool stuff! Now that's some good thinkin'!

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

You mean QVC and HSN aren't enough?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

The Swivel Sweeper, Oxyclean, and the latest kitchen miracle device aren't so much the problem and the latest greatest exercize machine ones can be quite enjoyable to just watch. My complaint is more geared to the guys with the miracle cures to everything from brain cancer and faulty bowels to the latest in a long line of real estate plans that only exist for one purpose and one purpose only to take from the weak to line their own pockets. These people are just plain disgusting.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I like watching infomercials. And QVC.

top topics

join