It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our False Gravity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I dont know if this has been covered before but has anyone wondered about the true existence of gravity on our planet. We now of course take gravity for granted and view it as a pre-existent effect that happened once earth developed. But maybe Isaac Newton got it wrong, and gravity could be some ancient device(runs on perpetual motion) meant to control the planet's ecosystem from vanishing.
The concept of gravity is understood as a natural phenomena and we sense its effects everywhere. sun, planets, galaxies, etc. but i think there is more to it than simply applying these laws to account for such "phenomena"

from Wiki:
The discovery and application of Newton's law of gravity accounts for the detailed information we have about the planets in our solar system, the mass of the Sun, the distance to stars, quasars and even the theory of dark matter. Although we have not traveled to all the planets nor to the Sun, we know their masses. These masses are obtained by applying the laws of gravity to the measured characteristics of the orbit. In space an object maintains its orbit because of the force of gravity acting upon it. Planets orbit stars, stars orbit galactic centers, galaxies orbit a center of mass in clusters, and clusters orbit in superclusters. The force of gravity is proportional to the size of an object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

and what if gravitation differs in strength depending on where u are in the world. i must admit that i have little knowledge of gravitation and have a hard time understanding it. more mass = more gravity? but if gravity is involved with electrical forces then why not ponder on the fact that the element of gravity in our universe is foreign in nature. and what helped revamp the universe or earth is by alien 4th dimensional creatures exposed 'gravity' and emitted it to us? any ideas of what the true nature of gravity is? and where it all began?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
why does gravity work all over the universe then? (except on the atomic level)

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
probably only after the big bang. before it was a different kind of universe not bound by gravity. The big bang could've been a mistake, miscalculations. their experiments got messed up somehow.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lurch149

This is a very profound question. For example, if not for gravity, the earth would shoot away from the sun instead of going in a path around the sun. So how can any matter here on earth sense the matter of the sun located 93 million miles away?

And why is every type of matter that we know about exert the exact same gravitational force independent of the type of matter?

The implication is that there must be some other parameter, i.e., dimension(?), that we have no clue about.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
There are many differing viewpoints on what gravity actually is and many more on what it actually does. One of the main problems is that the theory of gravity was 'proved' so long ago everyone takes it as fact despite the fact that some parts were largely conjecture.

If you want a differing viewpoint from gravity as the be and end all force of the universe, then look for the Electric Universe theory. It should give you some new stuff to ponder.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

and what if gravitation differs in strength depending on where u are in the world.

It does.

Variations of 'G' with latitude at sea level

Latitude.... 'G' metres/sec^2

0---------------9.78039

10--------------9.78195

20--------------9.78641

30--------------9.79329

40--------------9.80171

50--------------9.81071

60--------------9.81918

70--------------9.82608

80--------------9.83059

90--------------9.83217

Peace

AoN

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
people u r not getting me. gravity, whats the origin of that? we tend to have cool theories of how the universe began but all i'm asking is how gravity began. I know when the universe began supporting Matter, gravity followed. and dark matter is part of that. planets soon shaped up but what if planets took their shape in such a fashion due to a 'gravitational tool', unnatural.

I think the universe began as a mistake, an anomaly, not supposed to happen but it did. in the same way we as humans were not supposed to be aware of ourselves.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
stan deyo's vision of gravity is interesting. here's a video:

www.livevideo.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   

in the same way we as humans were not supposed to be aware of ourselves.

Errrm????
Rock on!!!

Maybe this is WHY people aren't "getting you".

What on EARTH are you talking about.???

You explain your theories on.....

The Anomalous Universe that "shouldn't be".

Fraudulent Universal Gravity
and...
The Great Mistake of the "self-aware Humans"

...And then we'll go from there

Peace
AoN

[edit on 18-10-2007 by Anomic of Nihilism]

[edit on 18-10-2007 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I was in a hurry. common mistake. i try to multi task but thats what ends up happening.
a simple rule is that Gravity rules the universe. But gravity itself is not the culprit. which is why there is dark matter. we only sense dark matter's effects on galaxies and what not. Baryonic dark matter are made of elements we can't sense.

imagine a different kind of space. more spacier perhaps. almost in limbo. then there appears little cracks on the walls and through pressure and time the cracks widen letting in such mysterious elements. our universe quickly dissolves and becomes part of a bigger space. The universe might not be expanding or accelerating but rather being eaten by another fiercer universe.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lurch149

Gravity work on the atomic level as well

Electron orbit around the atomic core

Gravity always existed, its one of the fundamental force of nature ( the other are electromagnetic force strong force, weak force)

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
probably only after the big bang. before it was a different kind of universe not bound by gravity. The big bang could've been a mistake, miscalculations. their experiments got messed up somehow.

Well, if the big bang did happen (which I believe it, or a similar, cyclical version exists), gravity would have had to exist before it. It seems impossible to me that a singularity could exist without a gravitational force creating it.

As you probably know, a black hole forms when it's mass is so dense that it pulls it's own matter in on itself, creating a singularity. This is what the Big Bang has been described as. Just a theory of course.

-Warlo

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I feel your pain DuneKnight, I once tried to understand it all. But once you touch gravity, you start getting into the galaxy, which in turn goes to other galaxies that are in our Universe. But it does not stop there.....oh nooo.... it just keeps going on which leads to the explanation other dimensions.

After watching a show on the Discovery Channel I learned a tiny part about quantum physics, atoms do not obey the law of gravity, as it has a law of its own. The top quantum physicist have concluded that there are 11 dimensions total that make up.... now get ready for this.....

"One Membrane"

Which is beyond me.

These quantum physicist say that objects in our world are not really there but only to appear there because we choose to look.

For example, if you have a table in front of you, it's really in all around you everywhere, it's only truly in front of you when you make the "Conscience Decision" to look at it or touch it.

They even talk about Parallel Universes that exist where you could have the life style of Bill Gates or maybe the Germans ended up winning World War II.

This stuff is beyond me and I don't pretend to understand the profound complexity of it and I am just trying to keep my brains from falling out of my head.

I think one movie was called "What the Bleep Do We Know" and I think you can watch parts of it on YouTube.

Also there is the other show on the Discovery Channel, but I don't recall the name of it but I will U2U it to you if you are interested on maybe catching a replay.

If I were you, I would just sit back and enjoy the show of life, because it's interesting times we are living in now. Because there are people who have spent their entire lifetime just to figure out gravity, the law of relativity and inertia. And we know at least Sir Issac Newton was arguably one of the smartest people in the world (even today) and was teaching class when there was no one there to listen. The guy at times seemed like he was an orange short of a fruit basket as well.

Good luck to you because you're a better guy than I am.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TheInfamousOne

After watching a show on the Discovery Channel I learned a tiny part about quantum physics, atoms do not obey the law of gravity, as it has a law of its own. The top quantum physicist have concluded that there are 11 dimensions total that make up.... now get ready for this.....

"One Membrane"

These membranes are part of what is called M-Theory, or "Master Theory". Some very strange physics stuff that attempt to tie together the 5 different string theories and 11 dimensional supergravity.

Membranes are a weird off shoot of the String theory. Membranes are made up of what are called p-branes. P is simply a number where p=0 thru p=9.

A P0 membrane is actually a point particle, a P1 membrane is a string, a P2 membrane is a surface, or a true "membrane". This was all theorized mostly by Paul Townsend, who is a member of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at Cambridge.;

These p-branes were found as solutions to the equations of 10(11?) dimensional supergravity. The dimensions (p-branes) that we are most familiar with are the very large and flat 4 dimensions. p=0 through p=3, so in other words we are familiar with point particles, strings, flat membranes, and time. The other 6 or 7 dimensions are are curled up so small that we don't ever see or notice them.

It is a very good argument for the existence of extra-dimensions.

-xmad

[edit on 19-10-2007 by xmaddness]

new topics

top topics

join