It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phobos and Deimos-Rover Photos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm not sure if there has been any info posted on this? My search resulted in no answers.

Will there be any images of the two moons of Mars taken by either Rover?

Zzub?

thanks, and sorry if this sounds like a silly question.
Phobos and Deimos

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hmmm, you'd think they could catch a glimpse at least, i'll check the orbits and viewing expected from the surface.

[Edited on 26-1-2004 by ScienceGuyQ]

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They are too small and too dark (they absorb most of the light that hits them) to be seen from the surface of mars easily. At best a human with keen vision might make one out with a pair of binoculars at night when the sun is striking them. So unfortunatly stars and planets would be all you see from the Martian surface.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScienceGuyQ
They are too small and too dark (they absorb most of the light that hits them) to be seen from the surface of mars easily. At best a human with keen vision might make one out with a pair of binoculars at night when the sun is striking them. So unfortunatly stars and planets would be all you see from the Martian surface.

Bummer, Thanks for the info, I appreciate it

I thought it would make for a very cool photo...

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yeah, it would make a nice photo, two moons in the sky. Unfortunatly they aren't much of moons, small and dark.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
From what I can recall the last probe to photograph Phobos was a Russian one which also captured some anomolus images of the moon and later the probe lost contact or was destroyed. Too bad because there is a lot that we dont know about the moons of mars.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The British satellite may be able to snap some photos of Deimos and Phobos, but I think that its camera is directed only towards Mars.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
They should have put a pancam on the mars express sat or at least cameras on both sides .

top topics

join