It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential problem with SETI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
SETI is scanning the radio frequency looking for signs of ET life. Wouldn't the local broadcasts from Earth interfere with this? I assume they filter out interference from Earth. However, we have been sending TV shows into space for decades and decades. If you were an alien and recieved a signal from Earth... what frequency would you broadcast back on? Logically the same frequency you recieved the message on. If they are sending us signals, wouldnt the closer more powerful signals from the Earth overpower the weaker alien signal on the same frequency? Are we even scanning the frequencies that we currently use, is that possible, or is there too much interference? Seems to me the most likely place to look for a signal would be on the same frequency we have been broadcasting our signals on. I am not sure if a weak signal from lightyears away could even be detected if there is a much more powerful signal on the same frequency right next door. I just think logically, if we recieved a signal from space...wouldn't we reply on the same frequency? They might be responding... we just cant hear them over our own noise.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by b309302]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
IF you believe our gov is in contact with aliens and aliens dont want us to discover their presence then with their 2334234 year ahead of us technology, im confident they can make sure any foreign signals dont enter our atmosphere...

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by b309302

That is a good point assuming the aliens are listening to those channels. And yes, it would make sense that they would broadcast back on those channels. Also, I've read in WIRED magazine that Paul Allen from Microsoft did confirm an Alien Radio Signal but was reluctant to share it.

There is also an article on WIRED MAGAZINE: SETI Scope Searches the Stars about Paul Allen increasing the funding for these projects.

It's like Rosewell almost, first they say "We have made contact" then the story just mysteriously goes away.

join